U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 03:02 AM

9,143 posts, read 3,000,345 times

Advertisements

I sometimes cook garbanzo beans, then dry them in the oven till they're crunchy and eat them like peanuts. But they have almost no fat and are low in calories. If you grind them into hummus and add chocolate and sugar, they become very high in calories with more fat and are no longer a healthy food item. I wonder if this chocolate version has other ingredients, such as added palm oil? Comparisons have been made here to Nutella, which is extremely high in calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 AM

9,787 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
if you want chocolate, ffs, eat real chocolate. I don't understand people who prefer chocolate-flavored hummus. If you want hummus, eat it with roasted pine nuts and garlic and drizzled with a fine olive oil smeared on pita bread triangles as it was intended to eat. If you want chocolate, get a chunk of the real stuff and eat it with wine. It's called ENJOYING LIFE.
So chocolate should never be combined with anything? And hummus should only be with pine nuts and garlic? That's extraordinarily boring.

Quote:
why do we Americans make things so effing difficult and silly?
Why do we Americans feel it necessary to rudely criticize people for their preferences?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 AM

5,769 posts, read 4,830,089 times
I wonder if you could make your own and make it healthier by using stevia instead of sugar. Chick peas, and olive oil are good for you. Add cocoa powder, tahini and stevia....

Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 AM

31,628 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Quote:
if you want chocolate, ffs, eat real chocolate. I don't understand people who prefer chocolate-flavored hummus. If you want hummus, eat it with roasted pine nuts and garlic and drizzled with a fine olive oil smeared on pita bread triangles as it was intended to eat. If you want chocolate, get a chunk of the real stuff and eat it with wine. It's called ENJOYING LIFE. why do we Americans make things so effing difficult and silly?
Lots of people are saying they DO enjoy it. Even if I hated it, I certainly wouldn't through shade at anyone who liked it.

I eat all kinds of weird quasi-healthy desserts, because I enjoy them, because I like to stay healthy and slim. Don't give a rat's patootie what anyone else thinks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 AM

31,628 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I wonder if you could make your own and make it healthier by using stevia instead of sugar. Chick peas, and olive oil are good for you. Add cocoa powder, tahini and stevia....
That's what I'm going to do. https://www.acouplecooks.com/dark-chocolate-hummus/

Or use a combo of honey and stevia. Whatever I feel like at the time.

I don't like overly sweet, so this type of stuff I make myself, because mass marketed tends to be a lot sweeter. Plus, my blood sugar can spike if I don't watch what I eat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 589,161 times
Chocolate hummus with strawberries. Snickerdoodle hummus with apples. So, good!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I sometimes cook garbanzo beans, then dry them in the oven till they're crunchy and eat them like peanuts. But they have almost no fat and are low in calories. If you grind them into hummus and add chocolate and sugar, they become very high in calories with more fat and are no longer a healthy food item. I wonder if this chocolate version has other ingredients, such as added palm oil? Comparisons have been made here to Nutella, which is extremely high in calories.
For those of us who are vegan, it can be a challenge to find a chocolate dessert that does not contain milk. I love that the dessert hummus is widely available. No, it isn't health food, but when you compare it to the cakes, pies and cookies most people eat, it doesn't look so bad.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Where did you find it, Lubby? Would love to try. I haven't seen that in any of the middle-eastern stores or restaurants locally. Knowing how that part of the world makes sandwiches with chocolate spread, I not surprised.

I just came back from a trip where we dined at a Lebonese restaurant. They had all kinds of hummus on the menu, including some "desert" style ones, but no chocolate.
It is mainstream and there are several brands. I have bought it at Publix and Kroger in the same area as the regular hummus. Target also has it.

For those who are curious, one brand called "Delighted by Life" of "Brownie Batter" hummus contains: Garbanzo Beans, Coconut Oil, Water, Coconut Milk, Organic Sugar, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Pure Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,984,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Tried some today at the grocery Store. They had samples served on cinnamon sugar pita chips. Boars head was the brand. OMG! It was good. I did not buy it though because I knew I'd eat the entire container. I still might buy it another time but will have to restrain myself from eating it all in one shot. The taste reminded me of raw brownie batter.
Eww. That sounds gross. I can't wrap my mind around a hummus with chocolate it in. Sabra Supremely Spicy - I could eat it with a spoon.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 PM

9,787 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Seems a lot of people in this thread aren't familiar with my mother's favorite phrase: "don't knock it 'till you try it." LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink