U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Reputation: 14771

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
You're mixing Asian with British.

Just eat the way you do.

There is no etiquette.
Unless your eating with
The top 1% on the East Coast.
Oh, but there is etiquette.

Eat the way you do at home where I don't have to see you if you are someone who holds their fork like a tennis racket and uses it like a shovel. Ditto someone who uses their free hand to pile food onto a fork and finds the best way to clean their fingers is by putting them in their mouths, all while hunched over the food as if someone is going to grab it away.

 
Old 06-25-2019, 05:44 PM
 
12,571 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Reputation: 23587
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Oh, but there is etiquette.

Eat the way you do at home where I don't have to see you if you are someone who holds their fork like a tennis racket and uses it like a shovel. Ditto someone who uses their free hand to pile food onto a fork and finds the best way to clean their fingers is by putting them in their mouths, all while hunched over the food as if someone is going to grab it away.
Unless they're sitting directly in front of me at the same table, I don't think I've ever noticed how other people eat.

If someone wants to hold their fork like a tennis racket, or use it like a shovel, why do you care?
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Reputation: 9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's why they used to always serve mushy, overcooked peas. It can be difficult to get young, lightly cooked peas onto the back of a fork. Only the hoi polloi eat peas from the cradle of an upturned fork.
It was one of those sights that you just can't unsee. The English people were seated in proximity to me and my father. Probably because it was Belgium & grouping for language to who I perceived as the waiter most fluent in English. I kept praying that he wouldn't notice. They'd chase the peas then squash them like bugs. That was weird, but the hill of mashed potatoes on top of the peas was bizarre. Had they squashed the peas then scooped some mashed potatoes up with the tines up, it would have fit correctly into their mouths. As it was, with the mess on the back of the tines, they didn't get it all into their mouths, each time.

After that I took notice, and some people used the forks tines up, some did tines down, and some did it both ways depending on what they were eating.
 
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Reputation: 14771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Unless they're sitting directly in front of me at the same table, I don't think I've ever noticed how other people eat.

If someone wants to hold their fork like a tennis racket, or use it like a shovel, why do you care?
If I don't see it I don't care at all but unfortunately it seems that those who eat that way often also add attention attracting noises to the mix.
 
Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 PM
 
12,571 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Reputation: 23587
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If I don't see it I don't care at all but unfortunately it seems that those who eat that way often also add attention attracting noises to the mix.
You must eat at some interesting places then.
 
Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Reputation: 14771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You must eat at some interesting places then.
I get around.
 
Old 06-25-2019, 11:00 PM
 
769 posts, read 710,791 times
Reputation: 1035
I used to be pretty chopsticks-averse, despite my love for the many varieties of Asian cuisine. But I'm now at the point where it doesn't feel right (for me) to eat things like sushi, pho/vermicelli, or even some good ol' "Americanized" Chinese (Hey, I love General Tso's chicken, lol) without them!

I don't think any differently of someone on whether or not they choose to use chopsticks though - I just think they're fun to use, and at the very least, it's some good practice for whenever I finally do make my way to some of the places on my travel list...
 
Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Reputation: 30815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
It takes practice, but not much.

Seriously, check out YouTube.
Yes. My son has used chopsticks for years, but likes to go a city to eat in noodles. He watched videos so that he could get the lift and slurp just so.
 
Old 06-26-2019, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Reputation: 30815
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It was one of those sights that you just can't unsee. The English people were seated in proximity to me and my father. Probably because it was Belgium & grouping for language to who I perceived as the waiter most fluent in English. I kept praying that he wouldn't notice. They'd chase the peas then squash them like bugs. That was weird, but the hill of mashed potatoes on top of the peas was bizarre. Had they squashed the peas then scooped some mashed potatoes up with the tines up, it would have fit correctly into their mouths. As it was, with the mess on the back of the tines, they didn't get it all into their mouths, each time.

After that I took notice, and some people used the forks tines up, some did tines down, and some did it both ways depending on what they were eating.
My mom was from England, and there are tines up and tines down sides of the family.
 
Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 AM
Status: "Re-edit status" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
4,138 posts, read 1,886,778 times
Reputation: 3159
I always try to carry a set of sticks. Never know when you need to pick something off something off another's plate. (They don't work well with bowls of soup. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top