U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 07:31 PM

6,564 posts, read 8,094,240 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and 71 with a spouse with chronic health issues most impactful is her RA. So I am in the food preparer role. Wife and I are homebodies so like to eat at home. I thought listing some favorite easy to prepare items to share might be helpful.

Initial list of my favorites
Chinese dishes my innovation, pfchang, lingling and kahiki. Fried rice and veggies to go with all microwave prepared.we like veggie and chicken itmmrms not beef or pork or seafood.so orange chicken, terriyaki chicken, chicken and asparagus in various sauces are great. We like various Japanese noodle dishes with chicken and various flavor broths are good light lunch meals.

We like zatarains blackened chicken with rice and cilantro and lime. It's awesome and more rice black beans and sauce than chicken but delicious.

We like bertoli Italian meals where all goes into skillet on stove and done in less than 15 minutes. Chicken Alfredo, chicken carbonara and chicken spinach with farfele pasta are very good ones

We eat a lot of fresh fruit as snacks and for breakfast.

Salad kits are the bomb and super easy.

We both have had physicals with great blood work results and my digestive issues are better on the rice and pasta with chicken diet.

We shop both Costco and Sam's club and Walmart supermarts next to the four nearby Sam's clubs. Their soups are awesome especially in winter season along with members mark BBQ beans with pieces of brisket in it .

At Costco we like their ravioli lasagne and chicken Alfredo.

Well that's my list to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 AM

18,344 posts, read 23,510,540 times
sounds good john...
I usually cook ahead on the weekends and eat during the week....bring lunches....saves bigtime on the food budget /not buying "out"

yesterday I cooked a 9 lb pork butt on the rotisserie …..with a bbq/brown sugar rub delicious!!!! I will slice that up for most of the week....also cooked a large beef roast and will eat that in Tupperware containers..

and watermelon chunks love watermelon!!

lots of seasonal foods this time of year.....locally grown am trying to eat more veggies.... actually had a fiddlehead a few weeks ago (baby wild ferns)

Old 06-24-2019, 04:56 AM

3,714 posts, read 3,117,690 times
All of the Amy's frozen dishes are good and they're all vegetarian. Quite a selection of Indian, Asian, Mexican and other styles.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM

13,219 posts, read 17,762,574 times
You have Central Market at your door step. Plenty of sore prepared fresh food there.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,094,240 times
We are not as fond of Amy's flavors for some reason but I do see them all over here.

Trader Joe's is close by. Is is half a mile from my home as is Whole Foods and Neighborhood market by Walmart is even closer, Market Street is one mile from me. I have a central market four miles from me, right nest to the Sams club I frequent most. I have 5 Walmart Super Center within 4 miles and Costco is 2 miles away from me. Lots lots lots of options. Eatsy's is one that is awesoe too a Central market's chef prepared food area and I like Eatsy taste and options better than are just over a mile from my house. Shopping abounds here

Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM

1,240 posts, read 585,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
We are not as fond of Amy's flavors for some reason but I do see them all over here.

Trader Joe's is close by. Is is half a mile from my home as is Whole Foods and Neighborhood market by Walmart is even closer, Market Street is one mile from me. I have a central market four miles from me, right nest to the Sams club I frequent most. I have 5 Walmart Super Center within 4 miles and Costco is 2 miles away from me. Lots lots lots of options. Eatsy's is one that is awesoe too a Central market's chef prepared food area and I like Eatsy taste and options better than are just over a mile from my house. Shopping abounds here
Trader Joe's has fresh vegetables cut and packaged for stir fry. If you cook some brown rice ahead and keep it in the refrigerator, you can make a stir fry in just a few minutes. Use a bottled sauce and super easy. Or buy the "fried rice and vegetables" in the freezer section and put your fresh veggies in with that.

I like the mango sticky rolls from the Trader Joe's freezer section. I have them as a snack.

A really easy breakfast is mashing an avocado with a little bottled lime juice, spreading it on toast and then sprinkling on some Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel seasoning.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM

39,319 posts, read 2,966,634 times
If you have a wok, you can stir fry anything. I like to use a packet of pre cut peppers & onions ( dollar tree) and add some slices of cabbage, & bean sprouts, & the pre shredded carrots, water chestnuts whatever is on hand. Many sauces can be bought by the bottle, I like the sweet & sour & also the orange chicken ones. I might have sweet & sour veg & a piece of plain grilled chicken. Rice can be frozen into meal size bags. I also sometimes buy the microwave rice, the one from Costco ( sticky rice) is really good & one bowl does the 2 of us.

If you like curry, there are alot of bottle curry sauces, we eat chicken curry quite often.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM

141 posts, read 28,422 times
Get the pre-cut rotisserie chicken from Costo; here's what I do with it:

Pour marinara or any canned red sauce over it, add sprinkled Parmesan cheese and broil
Mix it with can of chicken mushroom, frozen veggies, then simmer, following that, top with canned biscuits (covered)
Mix with mayo for chicken salad and serve cherry tomatoes on the side

So many other things you can do.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM

16,397 posts, read 13,093,294 times
What is, "RA"?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM

2,069 posts, read 852,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What is, "RA"?
Rhuematoid (spelling?) arthritis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or