Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:17 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I like to eat whole lemons, and I don’t mean the sweeter Meyer version. The more sour they are, the more I like them. I also like menudo.

My late sister loved liver and onions, but I had to leave the room when she had them, the smell gagged me. She also liked head cheese. I was visiting once and looked at the ingredient list for it...yikes.
I’ve never tried whole lemons raw, but a few years back I tried a Moroccan couscous dish that called for a whole lemon (cut into 1/8s, with seeds removed) to be simmered along with the rest of the stew. So, of course, when I served it, I ate the whole (cooked) lemon along with everything else. So incredibly good. It really made this dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I do love lemons.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It can be convenience's sake, efficient use of time, all that. If you are in a household where you are preparing collective meals, it doesn't necessarily make sense to prep things that only you like, and then have to have alternate meals arranged for others who are eating. If you're in a situation where everyone cooks for themselves, sure.

There are things I like that it makes little sense for me to make for my family, because I'm the only one who enjoys it. So I might make that for myself occasionally when I'm on my own, but I'm not going to put in the effort to make it just for me, while making alternate things for others. My husband has many things he enjoys that don't make the family list, for the same reason. He really likes fish. I don't. So he doesn't make fish when he's cooking for everyone, he makes things that everyone will eat.
My adventurous food taste probably started in childhood, when I always had two choices at every meal.

Take it or leave it.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
salted dried plums
I have a recipe for a celery and walnut salad with a dressing that uses salted dried plums. It's my favorite non-lettuce salad.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:24 PM

464 posts, read 286,885 times
Canned frog's legs, those are good!

I like spinach, broccoli, asparagus, I can do beets and Brussels sprouts, squash, artichokes...

I've never had egg plant.

There are few foods I don't like, liver I can't say I care for... chicken gizzards, I'll pass.

Cow brain, tongue, more left for someone else, these are things I probably just wouldn't try.

Oh... I don't like lamb, maybe I have just been unlucky with liver and lamb, but I don't believe I'll be going to the trouble of cooking either.

Too many things I do like!

And someone mentioned black licorice, I used to prefer it over red as a kid.

Candies I didn't like... Necco wafers... they make better BB gun targets, the chocolate ones aren't too bad though.

Ju-Ju Bees.. those are gross, give me Jujyfruits instead, and I'll trade you for your black ones. (sorry if I'm OT with all the stuff I don't like, I got carried away.)

Thx

Old 06-29-2019, 07:36 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Is there any foodstuff or dish that many people seem to dislike (for whatever reason you cannot fathom), but you actually love?

For me this would be first, beets which I could eat like candy, so much do I love the delicious, sweet, pink root and second, licorice— an apparently unpopular candy which I find divine.

You?
Beets, licorice (especially Allsorts!), and brussels sprouts.

Plus cilantro. There.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My adventurous food taste probably started in childhood, when I always had two choices at every meal.

Take it or leave it.
I had the same choices! I used to cry when mom made chili because it was too spicy for me. I was sent to my bedroom because I wouldn't eat what had been prepared. Dad would always give me something later like oatmeal, peanut butter on crackers or grilled cheese.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM

132 posts, read 107,659 times
I too LOVE black licorice! I like a huge variety of veggies including less popular varieties such as fennel, artichokes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, beats & radishes. I like pickled mix of carrots, cauliflower & onions. I like a variety of olives. I’m pickier with meats and tend to stick with what I grew up eating. We did have Spam in the house and now I eat Turkey Spam occasionally, usually fried.

I read every single reply and was very surprised not to see fruitcake mentioned! I LOVE a good fruitcake (and even a not so good one isn’t bad to me.) I rarely eat it because I have no one to share it with (no one else wants any) and because it is super loaded with calories. Costco sells fruitcakes at Christmastime that are humongous. I’ve yet to be there when they’re giving out samples!

Old 06-30-2019, 12:18 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
I too LOVE black licorice! I like a huge variety of veggies including less popular varieties such as fennel, artichokes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, beats & radishes. I like pickled mix of carrots, cauliflower & onions. I like a variety of olives. I’m pickier with meats and tend to stick with what I grew up eating. We did have Spam in the house and now I eat Turkey Spam occasionally, usually fried.

I read every single reply and was very surprised not to see fruitcake mentioned! I LOVE a good fruitcake (and even a not so good one isn’t bad to me.) I rarely eat it because I have no one to share it with (no one else wants any) and because it is super loaded with calories. Costco sells fruitcakes at Christmastime that are humongous. I’ve yet to be there when they’re giving out samples!
Doesn't ever'one love fruitcake?

We make our own.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
My real name is Andrew Zimmern.

I win!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink