U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
I'm not even sure if you can find it in the stores these days, but when I was kid I used to LOVE olive loaf. I would make olive loaf sandwiches with yellow mustard and I remember my family would think it was so gross.
A friend of mine hated olive loaf because when she was a kid, she wanted bologna, but her father wouldn't buy it because he thought only poor people ate bologna and he didn't want the people in the store to think he was too poor to buy something better. So he would bring home olive loaf instead.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:34 AM

236 posts, read 70,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A friend of mine hated olive loaf because when she was a kid, she wanted bologna, but her father wouldn't buy it because he thought only poor people ate bologna and he didn't want the people in the store to think he was too poor to buy something better. So he would bring home olive loaf instead.
Ah, olive loaf as a status symbol! Who would have guessed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM

21,832 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm iffy on hot cereals. I grew up loathing oatmeal, but learned in adulthood that my dislike of oatmeal really only applies to rolled oats and its associated consistency and wateriness. Some hearty porridge of steel cut oats is a game-changer for me. I'll even use them to make uncooked, overnight oats. The nutty character and thicker consistency is far more to my liking than oatmeal made with rolled oats.

I don't care for cream of wheat, it just tastes very bland to me.

I LOVE.LOVE. LOVE Malt-o-Meal (though I rarely eat it). The toasted barley flavor is really the key, there.
I like Malt O Meal too! Just wish they made a whole grain version.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM

Green peppers. Both DH and I often eat them raw as a lunch veggie. But I also love the taste in chili and stir fries. It has recently come to my attention that many younger folks do not like them at all, in anything! And this is in spite of the change in taste green peppers have undergone. They taste much sweeter now than they used to.

I like fried chicken livers. But because DH does not, and because of cholesterol issues, I never make them. I also like calvesí liver, properly prepared, but do not make it now.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM

36,588 posts, read 41,867,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The anchovy haters baffle me. They apparently don't realize anchovies are not a food, they are a condiment. I also kind of like caviar on a salad, once again, a condiment. Once in a while I run across someone who doesn't like dill pickles. Condiment.
What's really baffling is the assertion that if something is used as a garnish, it's not food, has no flavor, and therefore, there is no reason it should be disliked.

If you don't like, say, peas, you're not going to like them on their own, or sprinkled on top of a salad. Them being used as a garnish in the latter instance doesn't suddenly render them nonfood items.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Green peppers. Both DH and I often eat them raw as a lunch veggie. But I also love the taste in chili and stir fries. It has recently come to my attention that many younger folks do not like them at all, in anything! And this is in spite of the change in taste green peppers have undergone. They taste much sweeter now than they used to.
I don't love them. I prefer red, yellow, or orange. I'll eat them, though.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
See, and I think of processed cold cuts overall as budget food.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The anchovy haters baffle me. They apparently don't realize anchovies are not a food, they are a condiment. I also kind of like caviar on a salad, once again, a condiment. Once in a while I run across someone who doesn't like dill pickles. Condiment.
Arenít condiments foods? If not what are they?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't love them. I prefer red, yellow, or orange. I'll eat them, though.
My point. But at least you donít eat around them.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 PM

I do in some contexts. I'll fish them out of some stuff.

I don't mind them as part of fajita veggies, and I don't mind them raw. I really hate them as a pizza topper. I don't find that they go well with tomato sauce. And I hate stuffed peppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or