U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:20 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Can't seem to find good peaches in any big chain market.

I wasted my money the other week on two peaches that looked promising, but went from unripe for a whole week to rotten in what seemed overnight.
I won't even try. They're just pretty baseballs.

I wait until late July when the orchard five miles from my house opens for self-picking.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:21 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
They were picked too soon. Very common now.
They're also bred to look pretty and survive shipping long distance at the expense of any flavor.

So, what's the point? Sez I.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:55 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Then why are they at the market?!
Same reason you can buy tasteless tomatoes, etc. year round - just because something is offered doesn't mean you should buy it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 02:47 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,388 times
The Cantelope I pd. $2.45 for last week went right in the garbage!

Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM

3,529 posts, read 1,344,614 times
'What foods have disappointed you and you will never buy again?'

1. absolutely anything gluten free.
2. 2%/1%/ Skim milk.
3. diet sodas/soft drinks.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:10 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,499,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I bought some very tasty sounding fruit pops in the frozen food section at the market last week. I chose the strawberry, pineapple, coconut variety. I took one out of the freezer this evening and attempted to eat it, but it is as hard as an ice cube. I was expecting something more like a Popsicle that I could ingest before it melted.

What foods have disappointed you and you will never buy again?
What brand of pops were they?

I frequently buy low-cal Popsicles (the sugar free kind that are 15 calories each) and zap them for about 8 seconds in the microwave to soften them up just enough.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:40 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,269,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Dragonfruit! Looked really cool but tasted like nothing!
Yes! My kids were with me while grocery shopping last week, and they begged me to get a dragonfruit. We came home and cut into it. The knife went through like buttah' (so far, so good), to reveal a lovely white fleshy fruit with tiny pinpoint black seeds flanked by the red exterior (oooh, beautiful). Then, my kids and I dipped some spoons into it, took a bite, then all unanimously declared it to have absolutely no taste at all...

Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 PM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Huitlacoche and fiddleheads. I might try the Huitlacoche again if I can get fresh instead of frozen.
I've never had the opportunity to eat corn smut. It doesn't look very appetizing to me, but I'd try it. Fiddleheads are OK if you gather them. They're free. Stores charge a lot of money for them. They're not that great.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 PM

921 posts, read 252,508 times
Nope, dragonfruit doesn't taste like much. But the pink variety adds lovely color to anything (once had a piece added to a smoothie. My smoothie guy tossed it in the blender... suddenly the whole thing went a lovely shade of pink. My coworker and I went "OOOH!"). And I've eaten it when my stomach is upset-- juicy type fruits (watermelon, pineapple, apples, etc.) seem to be the only thing that sit right at times like that.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 PM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What brand of pops were they?

I frequently buy low-cal Popsicles (the sugar free kind that are 15 calories each) and zap them for about 8 seconds in the microwave to soften them up just enough.
Solero. I bought them at a Sprouts store and was expecting all sorts of fiber rich fruity goodness during this hot week. Nope. I got an ice cube on a stick.

In the 1990s, I used to be able to buy really good watermelon and cantaloupe pops. There were little bits of fruit in them, and the watermelon variety had a few seeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink