U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,269,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Nope, dragonfruit doesn't taste like much. But the pink variety adds lovely color to anything (once had a piece added to a smoothie. My smoothie guy tossed it in the blender... suddenly the whole thing went a lovely shade of pink. My coworker and I went "OOOH!"). And I've eaten it when my stomach is upset-- juicy type fruits (watermelon, pineapple, apples, etc.) seem to be the only thing that sit right at times like that.
So, the question arises how can you tell if you have a white fruit or a pink fruit before you cut into it. Apparently, the pink dragonfruit is generally more round in shape (and more flavorful), while the white variety is more oblong (and mild, if not completely lacking, in flavor). And using it for a smoothie is a good suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 1,340,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Solero. I bought them at a Sprouts store and was expecting all sorts of fiber rich fruity goodness during this hot week. Nope. I got an ice cube on a stick.

In the 1990s, I used to be able to buy really good watermelon and cantaloupe pops. There were little bits of fruit in them, and the watermelon variety had a few seeds.
FrozFruit? They were good. I have the Solero pops you hate in the freezer and they aren't ice cubes. Your box was treated badly (as in defrosted and refrozen) because mine are proper popsicle consistency. And they're cheap here. I got them at Food Lion for under $3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
So, the question arises how can you tell if you have a white fruit or a pink fruit before you cut into it. Apparently, the pink dragonfruit is generally more round in shape (and more flavorful), while the white variety is more oblong (and mild, if not completely lacking, in flavor). And using it for a smoothie is a good suggestion.
Dragonfruit is also full of nutrients. I don't know how it can be so full of vitamins and so lacking in flavor.

But when I lived near Chinatown I tried mangosteen, which I've heard is the best fruit on earth. It may be, but not the bunch I got. They don't sell one, they sell them in bags, for a horrible price per pound, and I looked at them every single week until I finally saw a small enough, fresh enough-looking bag. While they had some potential, I think you'd have to get them right off the tree. The ones I spent a mint on were pretty bad.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
FrozFruit? They were good. I have the Solero pops you hate in the freezer and they aren't ice cubes. Your box was treated badly (as in defrosted and refrozen) because mine are proper popsicle consistency. And they're cheap here. I got them at Food Lion for under $3.

Dragonfruit is also full of nutrients. I don't know how it can be so full of vitamins and so lacking in flavor.

But when I lived near Chinatown I tried mangosteen, which I've heard is the best fruit on earth. It may be, but not the bunch I got. They don't sell one, they sell them in bags, for a horrible price per pound, and I looked at them every single week until I finally saw a small enough, fresh enough-looking bag. While they had some potential, I think you'd have to get them right off the tree. The ones I spent a mint on were pretty bad.
Yes! It was FrozFruit. I loved those pops.

So, I paid too much for a poorly handled product at the wrong store. Live and learn.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Buying a watermelon is like spinning a slot machine, you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes, they get cut open, tasted, and trashed. Got a good one this last time though and I buy one pretty much every week in season since that's my kid's favorite fruit

Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Frozen samosas....terrible, right into the trash.

And a dressing, made by supposedly gourmet store-yuk.
I bought homemade samosas from a shop in a small town. They were just awful. The clue should have been that the shop's other specialty is butter tarts.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 PM

10,060 posts, read 4,015,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Buying a watermelon is like spinning a slot machine, you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes, they get cut open, tasted, and trashed. Got a good one this last time though and I buy one pretty much every week in season since that's my kid's favorite fruit
Yep. Like cantaloupe, or avocados.

You cut into them, and they're either delicious or they go straight into the trash.

I know how to select each of those fruits, and still, it's a crap shoot when you cut into them.

That's why if you're trying to bring cantaloupe to a gathering, or avocados, you buy more than you need because it's likely some will be inedible.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 PM

783 posts, read 367,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I agree with this statement. I'd just about given up on buying watermelon at all because Everytime I'd buy one it was tasteless or tart. Then last year someone gave my husband one and I opened it up and it was so sweet and refreshing that it made me start buying them again. I got maybe two good ones and then back to the duds. There's just no way to know what you're going to get when you buy one.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:13 AM

947 posts, read 199,896 times
'Real' root beer from Australia, all-natural peanut butter and Nathan's frozen onion rings.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:37 AM

21,148 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
'Real' root beer from Australia, all-natural peanut butter and Nathan's frozen onion rings.
Not a waste of money: Alexia Onion Rings

they are great!

https://www.alexiafoods.com/chef-ins...py-onion-rings

Old 06-28-2019, 09:39 AM

947 posts, read 199,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I agree with this statement. I'd just about given up on buying watermelon at all because Everytime I'd buy one it was tasteless or tart. Then last year someone gave my husband one and I opened it up and it was so sweet and refreshing that it made me start buying them again. I got maybe two good ones and then back to the duds. There's just no way to know what you're going to get when you buy one.
I hear yi ... the great ones suck you right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink