U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 AM

58 posts, read 9,857 times

Advertisements

Do not eat boiled peanuts from a can. Make your own from raw peanuts in the shell, some salt, and several hours on a low boil. If need be, spice them up with some barbeque sauce added to the boil towards the end. But out of a can, never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 08:11 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,675,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Can't seem to find good peaches in any big chain market.

I wasted my money the other week on two peaches that looked promising, but went from unripe for a whole week to rotten in what seemed overnight.
I have never found a good peach in any grocery store, so I gave up even trying. So disappointing to look forward to a good peach and have it turn out like yours did. I've had that happen, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Because this is June and they aren't in season yet!
Peaches are in season in SC - we first started being able to get really good ones around the first part of June, in the farm markets. The article I linked below was written in March of 2019. A quote from the article says:

"The outlook for the 2019 crop looks peachy, according to Andy Rollins, a horticultural extension agent with Clemson University. The first peaches in South Carolina will be ripe by the beginning of June, said farmer Mark Fisher of Fishers Orchard in Greer, and the season will run through August.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ok/3222434002/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Same reason you can buy tasteless tomatoes, etc. year round - just because something is offered doesn't mean you should buy it
I agree - I rarely can get good tomatoes in the grocery store, even when they are in season. Yuk! Sometimes I'll buy them anyway, because I'm so desperate for a tomato. I've found that those "ugly" tomatoes that come individually wrapped in that mesh styrofoam are usually edible.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:26 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Pretty much all fruits. Tasteless. I've given up on avocadoes---maybe one in 10 will be edible.

Might be different in farmers' markets. Ours are too hot and full of flies to be an enjoyable experience. Unrefrigerated meats and fish----UGH.

Grapes and some berries are still good...sometimes.
Haha. Somebody jumped on me because I said the value of avocados is that they are flavorless and serve as a medium to pick up the flavor of whatever they are paired with. Apparently they are SUPPOSED to taste like something. I've never tasted whatever that something is, though.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I love watermelon, but I live alone and can only eat so much. If you buy a small melon, half of it is waste.
I can eat a whole one (over the course of a few days).

Old 06-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Agree about the cauliflower crust pizza. The other thing is boiled peanuts.
I'd always been curious and suppose I still am because after reading about them, just couldn't even open the can.
I bought the cauliflower crust at Trader Joe's to make a pizza. It just fell apart, and it didn't taste that great. Won't buy that again.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 AM

6,291 posts, read 3,564,804 times
I haven't been eating "fresh" tomatoes for about four months. Waiting for DH's to get ripe.

That's the whole crux of the matter, isn't it? I don't think genetic modification has done our taste buds any favors either. It just creates produce that looks nicer, lasts longer, etc. Flavor or some other desired quality takes a hit.

I have eaten the most succulent and cheap dragon fruit in the Caribbean in the fall (like a sweeter kiwi) and wouldn't dream of paying the price here in MN for a poor piece of fruit that's picked early and had a long trip.

And I agree with vrexy that sometimes it's that "ugly" produce which hasn't been treated for appearance that tastes much better.

We older folks were used to eating by seasons of the area we were in and thought it was a miracle when we could get tropical and out-of-season items at the grocers. Unfortunately we also remember that many times the flavor and quality was superior to what we get now.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:29 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,252,670 times
Gala apples. They were overly sweet and just not that good. I'll wait until the McIntosh, Cortland and Empire apples come into season.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:53 PM

6,431 posts, read 9,948,829 times
Fresh kale. I thought I was really doing my organic thing. Then after boiling it, I found a dead cabbage worm. And that's the last of my fresh kale days. Back to pre-washed bags.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Fresh kale. I thought I was really doing my organic thing. Then after boiling it, I found a dead cabbage worm. And that's the last of my fresh kale days. Back to pre-washed bags.
You didn't wash it beforehand?

Old 06-30-2019, 03:59 AM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Here's some Sassafras root tea (non-carcinogenic):
https://www.lehmans.com/product/anci...SABEgIJkfD_BwE

And here's Dandelion and Burdock soda:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/anci...SABEgIJkfD_BwE

We have lots of root beers here, and birch beer, too. And I've seen both of the above in person, had them in my hand. The Dandelion and Burdock sometimes turns up in Big Lots!
Sigh. My brother and I used to gather sassafras in the woods in PA in the 1960s and '70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink