U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2019, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Reputation: 30795

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Gala apples. They were overly sweet and just not that good. I'll wait until the McIntosh, Cortland and Empire apples come into season.
My son likes those, but I'm not crazy about them. My grandmother and mother bought and made pies with McIntosh. If there was an apple in the refrigerator, it was probably that variety.

When I lived far away from my PA roots, I asked a produce manager what I could use to replace it, and he told me that Rome was the best match that he had. That guy knew his apples. I was going to bake a pie, apple blackberry, and it's a great pie apple. Really, it's better for that purpose than McIntosh. He also told me that he knew I was from New England because those are the only people who make those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2019, 05:25 AM
 
18,340 posts, read 23,506,172 times
Reputation: 34387
we started selling Organic lobsters this summer …. live in lobster tanks.. free range, local,
sustainably caught,

with all that hype and feel good... food religion words...I should be able to get at least 2 dollars more per pound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
Reputation: 26637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Because this is June and they aren't in season yet!
They are here in California. I have had some delicious ones already. From the farmers market and produce focused groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
Reputation: 26637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I agree with this statement. I'd just about given up on buying watermelon at all because Everytime I'd buy one it was tasteless or tart. Then last year someone gave my husband one and I opened it up and it was so sweet and refreshing that it made me start buying them again. I got maybe two good ones and then back to the duds. There's just no way to know what you're going to get when you buy one.
There are some tricks. Look for one that feels heavy for its size. Give it a tiny light shake. If it is sloshy, them it s mushy. The second thing is to look for the spot where is was sitting on the ground - that light colored spot. It should be yellow and golden in tone. If it is white, put it back. If you get a heavy one with a large yellowspit, it should be tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
Reputation: 26637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The prepared soups at Whole Foods are full of starchy fillers (that make them have an unnatural texture, more like gravy than soup), and are sweetened to some degree, to make them more appealing (in theory). These products are bought by WF from another company that trucks their glop to a number of client companies at once, so there are other chain grocers (and even mom & pop places) that carry it. . None of WF's prepared foods are made on site.
I think it varies quite a bit by store. Mine makes some, but other things are catered by local spots (and named directly). It seems like Berkeley’s store makes nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
Reputation: 16475
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we started selling Organic lobsters this summer …. live in lobster tanks.. free range, local,
sustainably caught,

with all that hype and feel good... food religion words...I should be able to get at least 2 dollars more per pound
What does that have to do with wasting money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 01:30 PM
 
1,101 posts, read 589,358 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have tried on several occasions to eat prepared, frozen main dishes, choosing relatively healthy versions. I just cannot eat them. They taste awful to me.

I’ve also tried to eat lower salt healthy soups. They taste awful to me.

I think commercially prepared foods must use such low quality ingredients that they need huge amounts of salt and/or sugar to taste like anything.
If it comes in a box....it isn't food.

I home cook a lot of soups (A LOT) and they have helped me lose weight and save money. All of the tomatoes and peppers come straight from my garden in the back yard, and hopefully my cucumbers will start growing, but it looks like another bad year for them.

The box food is also just so expensive per ounce. I can make pounds and pounds of soup for $3-5 which will last for several meals stretching across days. Use granulated bullion and mix with water.

Soups do require some salt to be tasty, but you can determine the amount you need for yourself rather than rely on the over-salted canned stuff (a lot of it has over 100% of your daily nutritional requirements).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,290 posts, read 2,675,344 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
If it comes in a box....it isn't food.

I home cook a lot of soups (A LOT) and they have helped me lose weight and save money. All of the tomatoes and peppers come straight from my garden in the back yard, and hopefully my cucumbers will start growing, but it looks like another bad year for them.

The box food is also just so expensive per ounce. I can make pounds and pounds of soup for $3-5 which will last for several meals stretching across days. Use granulated bullion and mix with water.

Soups do require some salt to be tasty, but you can determine the amount you need for yourself rather than rely on the over-salted canned stuff (a lot of it has over 100% of your daily nutritional requirements).
Really? My crackers (and other similar things) are going to be so disappointed to know they aren't food.

What are they, if not food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,149 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Reputation: 32127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are some tricks. Look for one that feels heavy for its size. Give it a tiny light shake. If it is sloshy, them it s mushy. The second thing is to look for the spot where is was sitting on the ground - that light colored spot. It should be yellow and golden in tone. If it is white, put it back. If you get a heavy one with a large yellowspit, it should be tasty.
Should be, but isn't always. I've also read that a lot of webbing on them is a good sign too. But I have bought plenty that look like they should be great from the outside and turn out to be duds. As I noted upthread, I typically buy one every week, but I'm not lucky every week or even close to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 PM
 
3,282 posts, read 1,340,345 times
Reputation: 6621
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Should be, but isn't always. I've also read that a lot of webbing on them is a good sign too. But I have bought plenty that look like they should be great from the outside and turn out to be duds. As I noted upthread, I typically buy one every week, but I'm not lucky every week or even close to that.
I agree and I know all the things you should look for: rounder, not longer, the yellow ground spot, and the webbing which means lots of pollination and still no taste. I hate that they sell whole melons in the supermarket because the halves and quarters you can at least see before you buy them. Look for the ones that look cracked.

Still waiting for anyone who's had a real, gigantic, smooth green Florida avocado to tell everyone they're good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top