Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son likes those, but I'm not crazy about them. My grandmother and mother bought and made pies with McIntosh. If there was an apple in the refrigerator, it was probably that variety.

When I lived far away from my PA roots, I asked a produce manager what I could use to replace it, and he told me that Rome was the best match that he had. That guy knew his apples. I was going to bake a pie, apple blackberry, and it's a great pie apple. Really, it's better for that purpose than McIntosh. He also told me that he knew I was from New England because those are the only people who make those.
Yes, I was told that Rome and Cortland were the best apples to use in pies. That's what I use, rather than McIntosh (which aren't as tasty as they used to be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Anything that purports to be something that is XYZ-FREE, when XYZ is something that's inherently part of what makes the dish good.

If something is "Vegetarian" or "Fat Free" or "Sugar Free" or "Gluten Free" or "Dairy Free" or anything else, and that ingredient is part of the essence of the dish, it always falls extremely short.

IE, at a recent birthday party they served "Gluten Free, Sugar Free" cupcakes (and I THINK, but am not certain, that it was dairy free.) Look, pick one. You could have made gluten free cupcakes with a dairy/sugar icing. You could have made them sugar free with gluten in the cake. But the combo wasn't great.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:43 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I can't eat greek style yogurt or anything "probiotic." Goes right through me.

Any type of unsalted cheese. Unsalted cottage cheese to me was inedible.

Agree with all of the produce horror stories. I used to go to farms in the summer or to farm stands, but the prices there are 4 times the price of the produce in the supermarkets. That's way above my budget.

I did buy some peaches from Georgia a couple of weeks ago. They weren't bad.

The only avocados that I've had that were good were in California.

Those gigantic strawberries that you see in the supermarkets. I try not to buy them in the winter. You all know how they get moldy the next day. Then you kick yourself for wasting money, but eventually you do it again because you want some sort of fruit in the winter.Around April or so they come from Florida, but they still aren't that great these days. Last year, I planted strawberry plants and this year, in June, I had a bumper crop. They were small and some had some "bad" parts, but I cut them off. Oh how I forgot how real strawberries tasted! You'd pop one in your mouth and they started off sweet and then ended on a slightly tart note. To die for!

It's always hit or miss with cantaloupe and honeydew. I try to only buy them in the fall.

Most supermarket apples these days are tasteless, even in season.

I'm not a big fan of apples or oranges, but apples from the local orchards are better. I just can't afford them.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:05 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I bought these frozen mini-tacos from Costco. They are heinously disgusting.
Oily and just plain, bleh!

Old 07-01-2019, 07:45 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just bought $15. worth of fresh salmon to make salmon cakes last week. They were fine, but no better than making them with cheap canned salmon.
That's disappointing.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nope. Dehydrate or process it down in a blender, and then freeze for later.
I hadn't thought of blending and freezing. I freeze or process and freeze all kinds of fruit. Thank you, seriously, for pointing out the obvious. Forest, meet trees.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yes, I was told that Rome and Cortland were the best apples to use in pies. That's what I use, rather than McIntosh (which aren't as tasty as they used to be).
They either don't taste as good as they used to, or my taste buds are old and dying. I'm never sure which.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
I wish I hadn't wasted my money on trying those got-awful meal kits.

We tried a few; Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc., just no. Waste of money.

I can make my own fresh food for much less. They weren't all that convenient anyway.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nope. Dehydrate or process it down in a blender, and then freeze for later.
Frozen watermelon? I’m skeptical. How about agua frescas?

Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Fruit out of season is never going to be good. (except some varieties of apple. I've had good luck with Nikita)

Cantaloupe and peaches, smell before you buy. There should be a faint aroma of fruit. Peaches and nectarines, you must wait 3-5 days before you eat them. Wait until they are starting to soften.

Strawberries, also sniff before buying, Look on the bottom of the box to make sure a rotten one isn't in there and sniff for strawberry odor.

Tomatoes, if you buy the ones on the vine, you can let them sit out for a few days and they will continue to ripen. But you will never get an excellent tomato from the market because refrigerating ruins tomato texture. If you home grow tomatoes, you never put them into the fridge. The store ones are refrigerated to ship and store them.

Watermelon, my trick to pick a good one is to go and get the produce manager and ask him to pick one for me. I've had the produce guy tell me I wouldn't get a good one because it was too early in the season and if I wanted a good melon I needed to wait for the properly ripened ones to be available. The watermelon in my fridge right now is pretty good. Later in August the local Hermiston watermelons will hit the market and they are excellent (and kinda expensive).

Avocados, I have no advice. The only place I ever got good ones was at a local economy market and if their avocados looked good on the surface and were nice and hard, they would be good once I took them home and let them ripen. Other than that is is a huge gamble and most often its a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink