Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
'Real' root beer from Australia, all-natural peanut butter and Nathan's frozen onion rings.
Finally. Something I can relate to. "Real" root beer from Australia is not real root beer and it has no flavor anyway. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I was so excited at the thought that I might be getting good root beer. Yuck. I finally went online and learned the names of a couple of real root beers but I don't know where I can get them. They used to contain sassafras but it was banned because something in it was carcinogenic. Apparently some root beers are made using sassafras that doesn't have the carcinogen in it ot artificial sassafras.

While no standard recipe exists, the primary ingredients in modern rootbeer are filtered water, sugar, and artificial sassafras flavoring, which complements other flavors. Common flavorings are vanilla, wintergreen, black cherry bark, licorice root, sarsaparilla root, nutmeg, acacia, anise, molasses, cinnamon, sweet birch, and honey. Soybean protein is sometimes used to create a foamy quality, and caramel coloring is used to make the beverage brown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer

I love Dandelion and Burdock root too. Very hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 10:49 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Then why are they at the market?!

Honestly, I'm at the point where i buy all my fruit at the farmers market. if it's not in season, i go without. The grocery store pickings for stuff not in season is just nasty lately.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:01 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
RealGood Foods cauliflower crust pizzas. Yuck! I was not expecting it to taste exactly like real pizza crust but it was completely inedible. And I do really like some of their other foods.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:06 PM

4,341 posts, read 2,226,301 times
Boatswain Twin Screw Double IPA at Trader Joes.

Truly awful beer; didn't taste like *any* IPA I have ever had (and I *luv* IPAs)..

Tasted more like spiced overripe bananas.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:13 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have tried on several occasions to eat prepared, frozen main dishes, choosing relatively healthy versions. I just cannot eat them. They taste awful to me.

I’ve also tried to eat lower salt healthy soups. They taste awful to me.

I think commercially prepared foods must use such low quality ingredients that they need huge amounts of salt and/or sugar to taste like anything.
The prepared soups at Whole Foods are full of starchy fillers (that make them have an unnatural texture, more like gravy than soup), and are sweetened to some degree, to make them more appealing (in theory). These products are bought by WF from another company that trucks their glop to a number of client companies at once, so there are other chain grocers (and even mom & pop places) that carry it. . None of WF's prepared foods are made on site.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:46 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Pretty much all fruits. Tasteless. I've given up on avocadoes---maybe one in 10 will be edible.

Might be different in farmers' markets. Ours are too hot and full of flies to be an enjoyable experience. Unrefrigerated meats and fish----UGH.

Grapes and some berries are still good...sometimes.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The prepared soups at Whole Foods are full of starchy fillers (that make them have an unnatural texture, more like gravy than soup), and are sweetened to some degree, to make them more appealing (in theory). These products are bought by WF from another company that trucks their glop to a number of client companies at once, so there are other chain grocers (and even mom & pop places) that carry it. . None of WF's prepared foods are made on site.
I don’t like WF’s soups. But I was posting about frozen “healthy” main dishes, and canned “healthy” soups. Sorry about not being clear.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:09 PM

938 posts, read 445,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not a waste of money: Alexia Onion Rings

they are great!

https://www.alexiafoods.com/chef-ins...py-onion-rings
Thanks! If my supermarket carries them, I'll try them.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:51 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,472,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I agree with this statement. I'd just about given up on buying watermelon at all because Everytime I'd buy one it was tasteless or tart. Then last year someone gave my husband one and I opened it up and it was so sweet and refreshing that it made me start buying them again. I got maybe two good ones and then back to the duds. There's just no way to know what you're going to get when you buy one.
The only way to know for sure would be to cut it open right there in the store. I've never heard of anyone doing this, but it's something I feel like doing sometimes. It might make for an entertaining YouTube video.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Low sodium V-8 juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink