Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 PM

604 posts, read 853,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Dragonfruit! Looked really cool but tasted like nothing!
Yeah, dragonfruit is for looks. Chop it up in a fruit salad and it'll pick up the juices from the mango/pineapple/kiwi/whatever else and the seeds give it a bit of crunch for texture but by itself? Bleh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 4,418,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Finally. Something I can relate to. "Real" root beer from Australia is not real root beer and it has no flavor anyway. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I was so excited at the thought that I might be getting good root beer. Yuck. I finally went online and learned the names of a couple of real root beers but I don't know where I can get them. They used to contain sassafras but it was banned because something in it was carcinogenic. Apparently some root beers are made using sassafras that doesn't have the carcinogen in it ot artificial sassafras.

While no standard recipe exists, the primary ingredients in modern rootbeer are filtered water, sugar, and artificial sassafras flavoring, which complements other flavors. Common flavorings are vanilla, wintergreen, black cherry bark, licorice root, sarsaparilla root, nutmeg, acacia, anise, molasses, cinnamon, sweet birch, and honey. Soybean protein is sometimes used to create a foamy quality, and caramel coloring is used to make the beverage brown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer

I love Dandelion and Burdock root too. Very hard to find.
Here's some Sassafras root tea (non-carcinogenic):
https://www.lehmans.com/product/anci...SABEgIJkfD_BwE

And here's Dandelion and Burdock soda:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/anci...SABEgIJkfD_BwE

We have lots of root beers here, and birch beer, too. And I've seen both of the above in person, had them in my hand. The Dandelion and Burdock sometimes turns up in Big Lots!

Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 PM

6,061 posts, read 4,418,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Pretty much all fruits. Tasteless. I've given up on avocadoes---maybe one in 10 will be edible.

Might be different in farmers' markets. Ours are too hot and full of flies to be an enjoyable experience. Unrefrigerated meats and fish----UGH.

Grapes and some berries are still good...sometimes.
The best one near here is the same, but the fruit is worth it.

Everyone who has given up on avocados needs to stop buying those lumpy little hass ones and get yourself a big, smooth-skin Florida avocado (Hall by name). You'll remember why you liked them in the first place.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 PM

6,639 posts, read 5,861,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Low sodium V-8 juice.
That's what Tabasco sauce is for. Fixes that tomato juice right up.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 PM

32,808 posts, read 36,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Buying a watermelon is like spinning a slot machine, you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes, they get cut open, tasted, and trashed. Got a good one this last time though and I buy one pretty much every week in season since that's my kid's favorite fruit
I love watermelon, but I live alone and can only eat so much. If you buy a small melon, half of it is waste.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:28 PM

6,410 posts, read 3,894,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
So, the question arises how can you tell if you have a white fruit or a pink fruit before you cut into it. Apparently, the pink dragonfruit is generally more round in shape (and more flavorful), while the white variety is more oblong (and mild, if not completely lacking, in flavor). And using it for a smoothie is a good suggestion.
I don't know of any way to tell before you open it... hopefully they'll tell you wherever you buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
But when I lived near Chinatown I tried mangosteen, which I've heard is the best fruit on earth. It may be, but not the bunch I got. They don't sell one, they sell them in bags, for a horrible price per pound, and I looked at them every single week until I finally saw a small enough, fresh enough-looking bag. While they had some potential, I think you'd have to get them right off the tree. The ones I spent a mint on were pretty bad.
Unless your Chinatown is in Asia, probably true. I've heard too many horror stories about buying them imported.

Fresh and bought somewhere in Asia during mangosteen season-- which is just about now-- they're fabulous (also cheap. Like, around USD3 for 4 kilos). They remind me of the flavor of rhubarb, but only the nice parts, with no bitterness. They should be soft and easily opened with just your hands.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Boatswain Twin Screw Double IPA at Trader Joes.

Truly awful beer; didn't taste like *any* IPA I have ever had (and I *luv* IPAs)..

Tasted more like spiced overripe bananas.
Thank you. I like a good IPA every once in a while. I'll be sure to avoid that.

Right now, I'm drinking a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. It's pretty decent. I'll buy it again.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Pretty much all fruits. Tasteless. I've given up on avocadoes---maybe one in 10 will be edible.

Might be different in farmers' markets. Ours are too hot and full of flies to be an enjoyable experience. Unrefrigerated meats and fish----UGH.

Grapes and some berries are still good...sometimes.
I'm about to give up on avocados. I bought two really nice ones recently, but the last eight weren't great and rotting by the time that they were ready to eat - softening.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:33 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,088,850 times
Agree about the cauliflower crust pizza. The other thing is boiled peanuts.
I'd always been curious and suppose I still am because after reading about them, just couldn't even open the can.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Agree about the cauliflower crust pizza. The other thing is boiled peanuts.
I'd always been curious and suppose I still am because after reading about them, just couldn't even open the can.
I'm not going to even try pizza with a cauliflower crust. There's something seriously wrong with that idea. It shouldn't be allowed to be called pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink