Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Important is Drinking in your State or Community?
We drink constantly - fun, food, and Gemütlichkeit! 6 18.18%
We drink with dinner and party rarely. 6 18.18%
We're average 7 21.21%
We RARELY drink, if ever. 11 33.33%
We're all a bunch of health nuts, so in short - no. 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:25 AM

33 posts, read 73,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzyaluz View Post
OK--so from some of the posters, it seems that if you drink, you are automatically a drunk? I'm sorry that you've only seen the worst in people, but many people can drink and not pass out.
OTOH, I would never put Scranton on the map of areas I would be thinking of being impressed with the movers and shakers of that area--PA finally rejoined the thinking group of people by voting out Rick "man on dog" Santorum! That could be because I live near Chicago and we have a raving good show on the museum side and I can be very happy with a caramel non-fat latte, but I think its just cuz no one knows really where Scranton is and most people know where Chicago is.
I'm Irish & German--but the Irish wins out on the drinking side-Jamison and Guinness. Is it the only thing I do? No, they won't let me drink at work .
Since I've gotten older, my drinking..as everything else..has slowed down. I can't stay out every Friday night until 4 a.m., can't dance all night without getting up in real pain the next morning. I can still debate a topic to the bitter end tho--and you can't do that if you are completely snockered out of you mind--you spit too much and people won't like you.
I enjoy sitting in my backyard with my 2 German Wirehaired Pointers and watching their antics, but I don't feel guilty if I'm out there with them and a glass of wine...or maybe glogg at this time of the year.
Unfortunately there are far too many drunks out there thinking that they are having fun just because they are able to loosen up rusty hinges with the lubricant. Albit only a temporary fixation the possibility of becoming permanantly fixed is highly probable in most cases. Some livers take longer to break down than others, but the fact remains that alcohol stresses the organ. Why risk reality, your life, and the life of others for a drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
I'm from the "old school" and smoking pot is something I've never done. I'm sure it grows rampant here.

Actually there is a lot of drinking in Texas of which I do not partake. I have never considered drinking fun and have not understood why so many do. I have my own views about it, but no one wants to hear them. 'Nuf said.

Take care.
I want to hear them I don't drink either and I don't want to be around people that do. Everyone has their own reason why they don't drink, for me I don't want to because I am a Christian and I don't think it would glorify God for me to do that. Before I became I Christian I did drink, but now that I am trying to live a life that brings honor to the Lord I don't want to anymore and ya know what I still have just as much fun!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 AM

332 posts, read 632,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Before I became I Christian I did drink, but now that I am trying to live a life that brings honor to the Lord I don't want to anymore and ya know what I still have just as much fun!
Yeah, "God" forbid you Christians take a drink. "Heaven" knows that Jesus NEVER drank any wine right?

By the way...one or two drinks a day is good for your health (unless you were a raging alcoholic who will fall off the wagon after one drink...which could explain you feeling the need to Christianize yourself). It's been proven...study after study after study.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
ScrantonWilkesBarre - Don't get me wrong, I have no love for drunk drivers whatsoever. It is because of one of those that I haven't had a car for over two years (it was totalled in a hit and run by a drunk driver, according to a witness, while I was on vacation and I opted not to replace it). I am grateful that I was not in it at the time.

That being said, I'm with the poster above. A glass or two of red wine at night is healthy, and quite enjoyable (for those who can handle it of course).

Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Yeah, "God" forbid you Christians take a drink. "Heaven" knows that Jesus NEVER drank any wine right?

By the way...one or two drinks a day is good for your health (unless you were a raging alcoholic who will fall off the wagon after one drink...which could explain you feeling the need to Christianize yourself). It's been proven...study after study after study.
I thought I would get a response like this from someone. I don't need to "Christianize" myself, Jesus did that. If you want to drink, go right ahead, I don't care, but don't slam me for saying I am a Christian!

Old 12-27-2006, 10:08 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
You know what. I don't care how much someone drinks or if he or she gets snockered every night. That's a choice albeit a very poor one. You are only hurting yourself but again, that would be your choice. Stay away from other people and don't have a spouse or children either so you won't be hurting anyone else. And I don't mean necessarily physically although some fools even do that. Foul language, embarassment, being full of fear, threats, and the list goes on can devastate others. And keep away from your vehicle so you don't injure or kill an innocent person.

I said all that to say this. If you like to drink don't involve anyone else in your life. Sober people are usually disgusted with inebriated people. Who wants to be around anyone that wants to feel relaxed and it's caused by the alcohol. Usually people drink because they need to feel more sure of themselves. You know, it gives one a "macho" feeling. I even notice that someone with only one drink under his or her belt has a changed demeanor. It's sad!!

ILNC ~ You asked me why. One reason is because my dad was an alcoholic and life was not fun. He was a mean and very verbally abusive man. Grant it, he never hurt any of us, but did a lot of threatening such as killing us all, brought in an axe and said he'd chop off my mom's head, etc. I was a very scared child because of him. At the age of 4 I asked my mom, "When is daddy going to kill you?" Pathetic, right?

Now the good side of this is that he stopped drinking when I was 18. He was still an alcoholic but didn't drink. My Christian mother never stopped praying for him nor did the rest of our family. My dad passed away on May 5, 1987, but on April 20, 15 days before he died, he asked Jesus to come into his heart. If one knew my dad, one would never have thought that would happen. He was so against church, Christianity, and the fact that mom, my sister, and I were all brainwashed. The night I got baptized at the age of 13, I came home from church with a wet head and he said, "What did they try to do, drown you?" That was one of his minor hurtful comments. But being an adult now, I know all that nonsense was just the Holy Spirit working on him.

He was dying from colon cancer and could hardly walk anymore. One day after he was saved, I was caring for him and he said, "Anna, I have to go." I asked him if he had to go to the bathroom and needed my help. He replied, "No, I have to go to Heaven." And a few days later, that's where he went. All the years of Hell living with his terrible ways were all worth it now knowing he is where I'll be one day. Faith can move mountains, and my dad was one tough mountain to move.

In my early twenties, I would have a few drinks and dad told me that I shouldn't be drinking because of what it can do and what it did to him. I would tell him I was fine and he said, "But you never know if you'll get hooked or not."

Last edited by KewGee; 12-27-2006 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
I grew up in a dry county in western Kentucky and from that perspective I never saw anyone drink period until I went to college. None of my family or other people we associated with did. I grew up in a pretty religious baptist area and although we were not baptist I got the idea from growing up there that drinking alcohol was thought of as bad and thus frowned upon. Of course, Kentucky did and still does, have one of the highest smoking rates in the nation (go figure that out!). So I grew up without any pressure to drink and still did not through college as I did not see any reason too. If I was thirsty pop worked for me. Now in my mid to late 20s I did want to see what all the fuss was about and went out some as I moved to a larger city and got more friends. Now that I am a bit older and married with a small child I see no reason to drink alcohol....soft drinks are fine with me. I have nothing against it at all....but just dont feel the need the too.

Now where I live now in ne ND/nw MN....the small towns are dominated by bars as about the only surviving business but I would not say there is a heavy drinking culture....but it is important to many for socializing.

Dan

Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 AM

amjb, I'm glad you told your story, I hope it will make a difference in someone's life. I am so glad your father got saved before he died, I say Praise God for the prayers of a Christian mother!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
amjb, I'm glad you told your story, I hope it will make a difference in someone's life. I am so glad your father got saved before he died, I say Praise God for the prayers of a Christian mother!!!
Thank you. I'm glad I told it too because one never knows whose heart it may touch. Mom went to be with Jesus on April 15, 1993. I still miss both of them so very much.

Take care, ILNC.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:26 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Default Drinking and driving...

...is inevitable when you live someplace where you must drive to get around. Like LONG ISLAND. I'm very atypical in that I don't drive.

I quit for 16 years. I went back to it a couple of years ago. I'm more controlled than I was when I quit, but I still drink too much than is really good for me. If circumstances required me to start driving again, I'd have to put it down. I had an immediate family member killed by a DUI. (he got off with a suspended sentence - this is one of the things that makes me just LOVE Long Island) I could never admit the possibility that I might do such a thing myself.

I'd rather see people smoking pot, myself. It's certainly not desirable for people to be driving under the influence of that, either, but it does not breed the kind of recklessness that booze does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink