U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 PM

12,124 posts, read 5,199,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know several people who salt food before they even taste it. We can go to a restaurant and as soon as they get their food they reach for the salt shaker. I don’t understand it.
When you eat salty food everyday, it becomes the norm and if your food isn't over salted it tastes bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 PM

4,917 posts, read 4,089,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OK, then you do eat food with fat and sodium everyday.
Yes I do! With the hot, humid weather recently, I've been drinking water with salt/LiteSalt added to it, since I've been sweating out more salt/potassium on my 10 mile walks. I also take magnesium citrate before bed to keep magnesium levels up.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:18 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,497,125 times
I never eat candy, so I can't comment on that thought it seems counter productive to the healthy stuff you are trying to eat. I do use healthy fats and salt. Occasional dessert.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM

1,251 posts, read 316,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yes I do! With the hot, humid weather recently, I've been drinking water with salt/LiteSalt added to it, since I've been sweating out more salt/potassium on my 10 mile walks. I also take magnesium citrate before bed to keep magnesium levels up.
When I was 10, I used to go watch a high school football (American) team practice. They had a cooler that was filled with a green liquid that the team would drink. I tried some and immediately spit it out. It was lime Kool Aid, heavily spiked with salt instead of sugar.

Salt (Kosher) everyday, fat as well but not so much sugar unless it is naturally in the food. I do love southern sweet tea, but not everyday.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM

6,662 posts, read 10,711,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
Or add sugar/salt/fat to the foods you cook? Would you say that its okay everyday to eat as a snack, skittles/sour gummies along with a healthy brown rice and salmon for lunch?
I took the question to mean added processed sugar, salt, and fat, considering it obvious that most foods, from raw to highly processed, have at least some naturally occurring salt, sugar and fats in some combination. Since we are belaboring the obvious, salt is a mineral (NaCl) while both sugars and fats, as well as proteins, are hydrocarbon compounds.

I avoid added processed sugar like the plague, but I do add to almost everything a seasoning mix, which contains salt, and very often fat in the form of olive oil and avocado oil (both of which could be tainted, but I hope for the best).

I wouldn't say that it is okay to eat skittles/sour gummies every day as a snack, but if you felt good today and yesterday doing it, and reasonably expect to feel good tomorrow as well, then that's your business.

In the long run, we are all dead.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

38,218 posts, read 56,029,042 times
Quote:
When you eat salty food everyday, it becomes the norm and if your food isn't over salted it tastes bland.
... but most restaurant foods are grossly oversalted already, so how do they know they need more salt without even tasting?
I think it's a habit. It's a mindless reaching for salt without having any reasonable doubt.

There is also possibility that some people frequent there often and already know that the food isn't salty enough for their likeness.

However, there are some unspoken rules and etiquette to consider:
- if you're at a white-tablecloth establishment (and there's no salt and pepper shakers on said tablecloth), it's best not to DIY season at all. Asking for additional accoutrements at any point during the meal tells the staff - and, more importantly, the chef - that you're not only unsatisfied with the way your dish was prepared, you also think you know better than the trained professional preparing it.

- if your meal is being prepared at home by your loving partner, go easy on the pre-season. Otherwise, it'll make them feel bad, and you darn well know it.

- if you're out with a potential employer, err on the side of caution and leave that flank steak be. Odds are they've also heard that pre-salt parable, and in this economy, doing anything to limit your chances job-wise is dumber than demanding ketchup at a two-star Michelin.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

40,079 posts, read 3,044,061 times
every day. I eat either meat, cheese or eggs every day, (fat). I also eat lots of veg & salads, & they always get salt, sugar not as much, but if I see a cookie, I will take it. I think the fat & salt are important in a healthy diet. Our bodies need them.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

35,826 posts, read 10,617,840 times
Quote:
There's salted, and there's over-salted.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

665 posts, read 356,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know several people who salt food before they even taste it. We can go to a restaurant and as soon as they get their food they reach for the salt shaker. I don’t understand it.
You’re describing my unhealthy relatives! Morbidly obese (one is diabetic) they love Italian food and always “treat” us to dinner at a local restaurant. When the plates are served the first thing they reach for is the salt shaker. After a visit with them it takes us a few days to detox from all the extra salt in the “regular” foods we ate, foods they think need more salt.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

18,400 posts, read 23,609,135 times
I love sugar have a sweet tooth but all ive read in the past decade is sugars n carbs are the real food demons (watch the magic pill on Netflix) cancer cells grow in sugar.. and sugar causes inflammation

im close to 55 and have eaten close to 80-90% meats for more than 30 yrs..

with lots of fats...…. but have cut down on sugars the last ten yrs..

not sure if its genes but all the lean low fat peers....are on some sort of medications....im on none....im healthy as a horse...and often told I look 40..

meats n fats got demonized 40-50 yrs ago.... I believe wrongly ...and the sugars and carbs and grains.... have been the demons..(the media has been pushing lean and low fat for 45 yrs)

I love ice cream …….would eat it every night....if I didn't believe there was health affects...eventually..

if meat and fats are sooooooo bad for us...I should have died ten yrs ago (I didn't eat a veggie for a decade)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink