U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:58 PM

36,913 posts, read 42,279,014 times

Advertisements

Every day, most meals.

Unless baking, I rarely ADD sugar to anything, but I eat plenty that already as sugar in it.

But fats and salt are a given.

I generally eat a reasonably varied diet, with very limited sweets. I don't happen to have much of a sweet tooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:42 AM

1,286 posts, read 326,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sounds like Gatorade to me.
It was at the time I believe Gatorade was being developed. Around the time the "Mad Stork" and Bucky Dent attended that high school.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM

66 posts, read 453,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... but most restaurant foods are grossly oversalted already, so how do they know they need more salt without even tasting?
I think it's a habit. It's a mindless reaching for salt without having any reasonable doubt.

There is also possibility that some people frequent there often and already know that the food isn't salty enough for their likeness.

However, there are some unspoken rules and etiquette to consider:
- if you're at a white-tablecloth establishment (and there's no salt and pepper shakers on said tablecloth), it's best not to DIY season at all. Asking for additional accoutrements at any point during the meal tells the staff - and, more importantly, the chef - that you're not only unsatisfied with the way your dish was prepared, you also think you know better than the trained professional preparing it.

- if your meal is being prepared at home by your loving partner, go easy on the pre-season. Otherwise, it'll make them feel bad, and you darn well know it.

- if you're out with a potential employer, err on the side of caution and leave that flank steak be. Odds are they've also heard that pre-salt parable, and in this economy, doing anything to limit your chances job-wise is dumber than demanding ketchup at a two-star Michelin.
Hi! Can you expand on the bold/italicized above? Sounds very interesting and I am not familiar with that parable. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 AM

763 posts, read 618,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
Or add sugar/salt/fat to the foods you cook? Would you say that its okay everyday to eat as a snack, skittles/sour gummies along with a healthy brown rice and salmon for lunch?
Let's be real. The American diet or fast food/junk food is the most abundant in the world. Why our lifespan is long is due to other factors.

As a whole, we need to reduce our consumption of high glycemic foods. If you need sugar, eat low sugar fruits, reduce carbs and breads too. All it does is turn into sugar, screw up your gut bacteria and you get a host of problems as you age. And then some wonder why people the same age from other countries have a lot more energy and less ailments while we do.

I will admit the junk food (pastries burgers, pizzas) here is outstanding. If you cut down on the portions per week or month, it will help you a lot. Your weight, your energy, and quality of life should be better. You don't need to be a paleo, vegan or other label either. The people living into their 80s, 90s are not doing paleo or vegan meals. They likely just eat normal, exercise and use common sense. Green vegetables are your friend.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM

23,994 posts, read 17,869,119 times
It's extremely rare that I salt anything. Most anything packaged comes with some salt. My family likes canned vegetables. They'll take a can of corn, throw some butter on it, microwave it, then salt it. I don't like very salty tastes.

I drink alcohol and have sweet tea maybe three times per week. I drink a lot of diet drinks. I just drank a premade smoothie, but it had fewer calories in it than a typical soda.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:12 PM

8,872 posts, read 10,940,805 times
We avoid salt, but eat sugar once in a while by way of chocolate and cookies in the house. Avoid most other sugar sources, but occasionally. We don't eat much sat fat, but eat the other types, nuts, fish and olive oil mostly, etc. Overall, we're boring and skinny people.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:34 PM

72,379 posts, read 84,165,341 times
we eat a lot of veggies and fruits plus meat, poultry or fish just about daily. Most foods have natural sodium or sugar in them and some fat is good for all us. Do we salt our food? yes, but we taste first. Do we use a lot of sugar: nope, we are not sugar lovers but we do keep some of those tiny little candy pieces like milky ways, in the cupboard and may have a couple for lunch. Do we eat fats? Everyone does to some degree, but I use very little in cooking. When I do it is usually olive oil, but not always. I do not deep fry or even use much. I love my cheese and once in awhile even like a little butter on veggies and cook with it I will add, love my wine and I love cooking with it

Now, I am 82, a bit overweight but considered as being in very good health for my age. I am not going to start worrying about how much of this or that I consume. I do enjoy do my own canning. I can control how much of what does into the foods. Again this is a personal thing and unless someone is full of junk food I think we are all going to do just fine.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM

8,383 posts, read 11,216,684 times
Every day.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:00 PM

17,526 posts, read 10,414,637 times
I'm just amazed at how much sodium so many foods contain, even 'healthy' foods such as cereals, oatmeal, etc. It all adds up.

A sprinkle of salt, a fraction of the amount manufacturers put in their foods, is more than enough for my taste buds. Same with sugar.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:47 PM

4,003 posts, read 1,710,292 times
Salt, sugar, and fat are good for us. In a way.

They all contain nutrients (including calories) that were hard to get when we were evolving. I think that's why they "taste good"; our bodies recognize them as needed.

Unfortunately, they are so easy to get now, we eat far too much of them. It's the excess that's bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink