U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2019, 12:15 PM
 
760 posts, read 378,566 times
Reputation: 2315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
When I ate out the other day--okay, it was at a faux diner--but ugh, my meal was inedible due to the salt. All I could taste was salt. If that passes for food, then it's no wonder so many people are sick. BTW, this "diner" prided itself on healthy foods, it wasn't a "greasy spoon" type of place.
This is the main reason we rarely eat out anymore, over the top saltiness in sauces, vegetables, breading on fried foods. I think the people working in these kitchens are clueless (or just careless) when it comes to salting dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2019, 09:41 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,085 posts, read 19,080,707 times
Reputation: 34168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
This is the main reason we rarely eat out anymore, over the top saltiness in sauces, vegetables, breading on fried foods. I think the people working in these kitchens are clueless (or just careless) when it comes to salting dishes.
That's what I mean. I ordered a chicken pot pie and to its credit, it looked beautiful--gorgeous crust and then lots of vegetables along with the chicken inside. But the salt! Ew. The leftovers are still in the fridge because I took most of it home and I still don't want to eat it.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,462 posts, read 12,652,121 times
Reputation: 19791
One of my staple foods is berries. I buy 2.5 lb. packages of fresh frozen raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, mixed berries, etc., add just enough sugar to juice them up, (1/3c per quart), and use them to flavor plain, unsweetened yogurt, top waffles or pancakes, or breakfast cereals like oat nut clusters. Plain yogurt and berries with a sprinkle of cereal on top makes a delicious, crunchy breakfast. There is far more sugar in the berries than I add.

My marionberry pies are famous among my friends. I make a tart pie. To make the filling I add 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. corn starch, and the juice of a whole lemon. The berry flavor just explodes in your mouth. I also sprinkle a little sugar on the top crust to caramelize in the oven.

That said, there are a lot of meals with no sugar added at all. Sweet desserts are not my thing, particularly over-sweetened goop they sell to children. My soft drink of preference is a chilled pitcher of water with a little lemon juice, no sugar.

I used to go through a lot of salty food when I was working construction. I'm retired now and don't sweat so much. I also switched to lite salt years ago, and have lost my taste for heavy salt. Most prepared foods and some restaurant dishes taste too salty for me. It's entirely a matter of taste. My blood pressure is fine.

Fat is a problem for me. Excessive fat in food gives me diarrhea. Piling into a greasy pizza is out of the question, and even a chocolate cake with butter frosting will mess me up. Meat fats get fed to the dogs. Crispy bacon is OK, but any half cooked bacon fat goes back into the pan or the garbage. Neufchatel instead of cream cheese.

This is entirely medical, not a matter of taste. There is nothing I love so much as a greasy combo pizza pounded down with a quart of beer, but if I try it I pay a price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 PM
 
826 posts, read 463,437 times
Reputation: 742
every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,256 posts, read 45,968,174 times
Reputation: 62051
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know several people who salt food before they even taste it. We can go to a restaurant and as soon as they get their food they reach for the salt shaker. I donít understand it.
I have the opposite problem. Restaurant food tastes too salty to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 AM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
7,504 posts, read 13,025,540 times
Reputation: 31281
Wouldn't you know I'm ready this while enjoying a breakfast of 2 doughnuts and a glass of milk. I usually do sausage and egg biscuits, but we thought we'd splurge this morning with fresh from the bakery doughnuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
 
7,148 posts, read 9,408,031 times
Reputation: 8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
Or add sugar/salt/fat to the foods you cook? Would you say that its okay everyday to eat as a snack, skittles/sour gummies along with a healthy brown rice and salmon for lunch?
Well, of course it is, unless it disagrees with you in some way. I had brownies for lunch because I didn't have time for something healthier. Nobody died!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,181 posts, read 20,284,595 times
Reputation: 46468
If you eat one bag of skittles per day that is 42 grams of sugar..... no, that is NOT good. That's OVER the daily allotment for added sugar.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,462 posts, read 12,652,121 times
Reputation: 19791
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have the opposite problem. Restaurant food tastes too salty to me.
That's because restaurant food is often over-salted. They may not even add any salt, but the ingredients come to them with a heavy load of sodium from baking powder, MSG and salt.

I grilled a 2" thick sirloin cut a couple days ago. I added no salt. The meat tasted fine like it came off the charcoal. I think most people automatically add salt to meat, but meat has its own salt.

Twenty years ago I would have been reaching for the salt shaker, but I have lost my taste for salt. I think it may be because I use the "Lite Salt" that is half potassium chloride. I started using it as an electrolyte when I was sweating a lot, and continued because it's easier on the sodium-potassium pump in the kidneys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:33 AM
 
826 posts, read 463,437 times
Reputation: 742
salt fat and sugar are the magic restaurant ingredients. it's rare that a restaurant won't salt their food, even if already salty.

humans evolved to crave these items because theyre important for human health, and our ancestors had trouble getting enough of it in their diet. Nowadays, we have the opposite issue, where it's too easy to get, and creates a different type of health issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top