U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 02:22 PM

12,462 posts, read 12,652,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
What?????
They are the same?
I didn't know that.
When we first moved to Atlanta, bout 5 years ago there was a news report of a Krystal's with reported employees having hepatitis.
Ever since then I've equated the two and steered clear.
I'll have to check Krystal burgers out.
If you eat out a lot, you should really get vaccinated for hepatitis A. Hep-A will really mess you up, and it's very contagious. Any pharmacy would be glad to give you the shot. You don't have to go to a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 04:52 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,974,570 times
I used to love Celeste's frozen pizza in my youthful days.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:16 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,598,222 times
Its refreshing to read a food thread where everyone isn't acting all superior by insisting they don't eat such lowly foods, and "only cook from scratch."

Here are a few of my favorite trashy foods:

- Filet-o-Fish - I get a craving 2-3 times per year
- Cocoa Krispies
- also love homemade rice krispy treats and add extra marshmallows and butter
- Newman's Own frozen pepperoni pizza

and last, my new addiction - Pistachio-flavored Thin Oreos - the mint are very good too. - they are so thin and crispy. I actually hate regular Oreos... but the thin ones....are so good

Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 PM

32,184 posts, read 20,284,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Its refreshing to read a food thread where everyone isn't acting all superior by insisting they don't eat such lowly foods, and "only cook from scratch."

I don't eat anything I listed (if I remember correctly) anymore, I would if I could, but old trumps treats.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-07-2019, 11:07 AM

3,104 posts, read 2,057,047 times
We actually made a modest version of The Garbage Plate (up-thread?) yesterday, with seasoned fries, leftover chicken, taco meat, and plenty of cheese. This is worthy of a repeat, it was that good.

Also...a baloney and cheese sandwich. That, on the other hand, will hold us for another, oh, two years.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:47 PM

6,251 posts, read 3,120,582 times
Quote:
My usual reply: "I've heard a lot about this 'scratch' stuff people use to make food. Is it a powder or a liquid?"

Regarding Rice-Krispie Treats mentioned a page or two back, I recall the lunch ladies at school used to make a version of these using peanut butter that were quite good. They weren't messy to eat like the 'all-butter' versions, so I assume they were also less messy to produce. This was back when the US government used to buy surplus commodities like cheese, peanut butter, etc. to help keep the commodities markets stable ("gub-mint cheese"), then disperse them to the needy...or donate them to schools and such institutions for them to "get creative".

Old 08-07-2019, 06:59 PM

152 posts, read 93,986 times
Honestly, after reading this thread, i'm considering making a batch of rice krispy treats this weekend

Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,598,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
My usual reply: "I've heard a lot about this 'scratch' stuff people use to make food. Is it a powder or a liquid?"

Regarding Rice-Krispie Treats mentioned a page or two back, I recall the lunch ladies at school used to make a version of these using peanut butter that were quite good. They weren't messy to eat like the 'all-butter' versions, so I assume they were also less messy to produce. This was back when the US government used to buy surplus commodities like cheese, peanut butter, etc. to help keep the commodities markets stable ("gub-mint cheese"), then disperse them to the needy...or donate them to schools and such institutions for them to "get creative".
There is a version called Scotcharoos - where you mix peanut butter and corn syrup together with the rice krispies... and then on top of that, you spread melted butterscotch and chocolate chips. They are yummy!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15585/scotcharoos/

Old 08-07-2019, 11:58 PM

8,213 posts, read 8,712,762 times
Melted Velveeta over something or anything.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 AM

14,330 posts, read 24,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
They weren't messy to eat like the 'all-butter' versions, so I assume they were also less messy to produce. This was back when the US government used to buy surplus commodities like cheese, peanut butter, etc. to help keep the commodities markets stable ("gub-mint cheese"), then disperse them to the needy...or donate them to schools and such institutions for them to "get creative".

I worked in a hospital that received a great number of the commodity foods. Some were quite excellent; some were barely edible. However, if you received them as an institution, you had to use them up. You could not sell them or give them away.

In order to use these products, you would have to develop recipes that could make up for the deficiencies of the products. Some of the lunch ladies and cooks were very creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink