Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times

Advertisements

Which hand immersion blender do you have, what is the speed, what do you use it for most of the time? Does it have any attachments? How often do you use it? Is it under warranty, if so, for how long? Are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
Question Another question regarding Immersion Blenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Which hand immersion blender do you have, what is the speed, what do you use it for most of the time? Does it have any attachments? How often do you use it? Is it under warranty, if so, for how long? Are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance

Even if you do not have one, have you heard or read of one that has great reviews, and people are happy with it? Can they make pesto sauce with it? Smoothies with ice? Thanks

Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
I have an ancient Braun immersion blender that has served me well for more than 20 years. They kind of invented the US market for these handy devices. It has interchangeable heads - blender head, whisk head, and a food chopper head that I lost long ago because I never used it. Also has a tall cylindrical container for no-splash blending. The key feature is the fingertip speed control. Unfortunately, despite having superior quality products, Braun was taken off the US market by owner Proctor & Gamble in 2008 because the German brand did not meet P&G's profitability standards in the face of competition from cheap Chinese kitchen appliances.

Key things I use it for... pureeing soup in the pot, where a favorite trick is to make a chunky soup and then puree part of it so it becomes creamy, with chunks. It's also great for smoothing gravy right in the roasting pan.

What I never used it for... pesto. Blenders, immersion or conventional, are optimized for mixing and blending liquids, not for chopping solids. You need the much bigger knife blades of a food processor to do a good job with pesto.

Key things to look for... power and fingertip speed control. Smoothies with ice? No, I use a countertop blender for that.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
I've got a Bamix I've had for almost 10 years. Like Open D, pureeing soups in the pot is easy. I'll use it to make tomato sauce from canned whole tomatoes, milkshakes, mix small batches of batter, taking lumps out of gravy, lots of other applications, but not smoothies. That's blender work. And while I can do some kinds of sauces with it, basil pesto isn't one of those - as mentioned above, you really need larger blades and power to get the basil and pine nuts chopped fine enough for a good pesto.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM

140 posts, read 278,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I have an ancient Braun immersion blender ...
I also had a Braun with whisk and chopper attachment for years (maybe a decade?), but gave it away this year when I moved to the US (different voltage). I'm now looking for a new one, so I was disappointed that Braun aren't sold here. The two main brands look like Kitchenaid and Cuisinart and I've been reading through lots of reviews.

I used the blender mostly for soup. I've never been a smoothie fan, so never tested it with ice. I used the chopper for pesto, hommus, and for chopping veg (onions especially). As a single person, the chopper size suits me better than the large bowls of regular food processors. I didn't use the whisk often, maybe a mousse now and again, and I attempted mayo once.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I have one (it was free from some reward program or something, I forget) - never used it though! LOL

Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM

986 posts, read 1,665,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have one (it was free from some reward program or something, I forget) - never used it though! LOL
I have one of those that I won through a reward program also. I didn't use it at first (had it for years) but I started using it about a year ago. I LOVE IT! I use it mainly for salad dressings, marinades sauces, and smoothies.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I also had a Braun with whisk and chopper attachment for years (maybe a decade?), but gave it away this year when I moved to the US (different voltage). I'm now looking for a new one, so I was disappointed that Braun aren't sold here.
Due to the excellence of their design and manufacture there is still a lot of brand loyalty, and I see there's a brisk trade in them on eBay. Also, I haven't checked into this because I haven't been in the market for one, but I read that DeLonghi bought the rights to the Braun designs.

Quote:
The two main brands look like Kitchenaid and Cuisinart and I've been reading through lots of reviews.
I can make that easy for you... anything by Kitchenaid is better than anything by Cuisinart. Better design, better quality, better company to deal with.

I'd also check out Breville, another company whose products are better across the board than anything Cuisinart makes.

[quot] I used the blender mostly for soup. I've never been a smoothie fan, so never tested it with ice. I used the chopper for pesto, hommus, and for chopping veg (onions especially). As a single person, the chopper size suits me better than the large bowls of regular food processors.[/quote]

I can get that. I have a small food processor for that very reason, for personal use, plus a large one I have because I used to make and sell raw food desserts. Now the big one tends to come out only at holiday times when I'm entertaining.

Quote:
I didn't use the whisk often, maybe a mousse now and again, and I attempted mayo once.
Yeah, now that you mention it... I've thought about tossing mine out because I never use it. And besides, I can do a better, faster job with a hand whisk.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,542 times
I have been eyeing both the braun and the cuisinart one for a while but I haven't bought one just yet. Would like to at some point. I keep reading about food getting trapped into the handle and clogging it and that just freaks me out lol. I use my blender, food processor and magic bullet currently for all my sauces, soups, purees.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

I'd also check out Breville, another company whose products are better across the board than anything Cuisinart makes.

Can't rep you yet...but I do agree about Breville - they have some amazing products!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink