U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you usually eat a fast-food meal at home?
Plate it like a home-cooked meal. 23 28.05%
Eat it straight out of the package. 19 23.17%
Some combination of the two. 14 17.07%
Decide on a case-by-case basis. 26 31.71%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:28 AM

22,886 posts, read 29,076,022 times

Advertisements

The whole point of take-out is to not have to do any work. Washing dishes turns a work free meal into a meal that requires work.

Paper plates would be OK, since you throw them away. Fast food generally gets eaten off of the spread out wrapper.

Actually, I almost never buy fast food and when I do, it is eaten there at the fast food restaurant and not carried home, getting cold and stinking up my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 AM

3,591 posts, read 1,647,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The whole point of take-out is to not have to do any work. Washing dishes turns a work free meal into a meal that requires work.
That's true. But when I eat at home, I find regular a plated meal more satisfying than eating from a fast food bag, even if the food is the same. So it's worth the extra effort for me. Plus, I have a dishwasher, so the "work" on my part is trivial.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 AM

6,711 posts, read 4,189,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That's true. But when I eat at home, I find regular a plated meal more satisfying than eating from a fast food bag, even if the food is the same. So it's worth the extra effort for me. Plus, I have a dishwasher, so the "work" on my part is trivial.
Agreed on all counts. Anyway, I don't consider stacking five plates and five forks into the dishwasher to be "washing the dishes," much less "work."

Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 AM

6,365 posts, read 7,873,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Agreed on all counts. Anyway, I don't consider stacking five plates and five forks into the dishwasher to be "washing the dishes," much less "work."
Say the secret word, win a hundred bucks. You have a "dishwasher"! Contact Groucho Marx for your prize.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM

1,727 posts, read 3,651,850 times
No Paper Plates or Plastic Utensils are in our house. We're 'Hardware' People.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:28 PM

264 posts, read 104,317 times
Plate it and reheat it at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:20 PM

40,566 posts, read 3,083,435 times
We only get fast food if we are on a road trip, & then we eat at the fast food joint. We rarely order food for take out, but if we do, it would be some kind of ethnic cuisine, & I plate those.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:15 PM

6,711 posts, read 4,189,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Say the secret word, win a hundred bucks. You have a "dishwasher"! Contact Groucho Marx for your prize.
Is that rare?

Old 08-05-2019, 03:43 AM

12,013 posts, read 4,100,046 times
In terms of chinese food. Indian food and many other types of takeaway food, they come with numerous different items, as well as sauces are in different containers and the general idea is to plate them and mix them up.

The containers are usually full to the brim and you couldn't pour one continer in to anoher even if you wanted to. The eating chinese food out of some carboard box is not what most of the world do, indeed you couldn't due to all the sauces.

In terms of pizza, yes you could probably eat fast foof out of the box such as burgers or fried chicken, however I don't eat much fast food.

As for rinsing a few dishes and putting them in the dishwasher, it's hardly a monumental effort.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-05-2019 at 03:52 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 AM

72,340 posts, read 84,101,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I hope this isn't a repeat thread. When you pick up a fast good meal to be eaten at home, how do you eat it once you get there? Do you eat it straight out of the bag or box it came in, or do you put it on a normal porcelain plate and eat it with real utensils? Burgers and fries, burritos, etc. are handheld foods, although they can still be plated. But a fried chicken meal from KFC or fish and chips from Long John Silver's are more like plate-and-utensils foods. Let alone something from Panda Express.

I, personally, plate it and eat it like a normal meal. (Except for soda in its cup.) Feels more satisfying that way. Unless it's 2:00 AM and I'm exhausted. Then I eat it straight out of the package, before conking out for the night. It's usually a small thing anyway, like a single taco, so plating would be redundant.

How do the rest of the people on this forum do it? Discuss!
This strictly depends on the situation. Sometimes we are sharing and sometimes each of us are eating a chosen meal. Also it depends on what it is and how the food will taste if plated. We have a favorite little place, actually in a service station where we will pop in and pick up chicken dinners if we are in a hurry. Most often we do this when coming home from a vacation and we know we have no food at home. bTW, we only stop about twice a year. If we are doing that we do not plate the food. If we are ordering pizza or are picking up Mexican food we will plate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or