U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:56 AM

233 posts, read 251,553 times

Advertisements

So I use a LOT of cinnamon - the cheap powdered kind that is practically free. I put it on everything - especially at breakfast and I have eaten it for years - I must use at least 2 heaping teaspoons every morning in my coffee, in oatmeal, with nuts and raisins, in yogurt, etc..... and I have known about this whole coumarin danger is Cassia cinnamon for a long time, but I always forget about it.

There are all kind of general (and useless) articles online about the issue, but nothing definitive. Anyone else addicted to the stuff like I am? Anyone have any thoughts or observations about adverse heath consequences of consuming loads of it over long periods of time? You know how the internet is for health matters......every time you Google anything, you find 100 articles about how you are going to die. The coumarin is supposed to cause liver and kidney damage as well as being carcinogenic. But who knows how much cinnamon you'd have to eat every day for years to have a problem. Usually in these reports, you can find out that in the small print, they fed rats the equivalent of 100 cans of coke every day for 10 years or something crazy - but nothing for cinnamon that I can find.

I should just quit my habit I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 12:14 PM

40,623 posts, read 3,089,410 times
https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-cinnamon

I have seen cinnamon touted as a supplement for diabetics. If you are really worried, just cut your usage down.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:16 PM

12,442 posts, read 12,639,033 times
Talk to your doctor about it. You are probably riding the edge of poisoning yourself, but as long as you liver enzymes are good, I wouldn't worry about it. My impression is that food quantities are not generally dangerous. The ones who get in trouble are the naturopathy nuts who mix tablespoons of cinnamon with honey and call it medicine.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,104 posts, read 54,945,417 times
I have an older relative that used it the same as you, and his doctor ordered him to stop when he was diagnosed it’s a bleeding ulcer. Not caused by the cinnamon, but it’s a blood thinner so too much can cause bruising and bleeding, and causes problems with diabetes medications.

It’s probably fine if you are healthy but if in doubt, discuss with your doctor at the next checkup.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,467,970 times
Adding a small amount of vanilla can enhance the flavor of cinnamon, allowing you to use less to get a similar taste response. That might help you reduce the amount of cinnamon you add to your food.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 AM

22,250 posts, read 14,612,761 times
Since you love the taste, why not try a better grade? There are several sorts of cinnamon, and they have different flavors. If you learn to like the good stuff, you might not need so much of it.

I also like the tip about vanilla, but for goodness sake, buy quality vanilla, which I warn, has gotten very expensive.

Coffee people try different varieties and blends. So do tea people. I think you could be a cinnamon person, and I can’t think of any reason why you would not enjoy being so.

And I have to admit that I did not know that cinnamon was a blood thinner.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:33 PM

12,442 posts, read 12,639,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Since you love the taste, why not try a better grade? There are several sorts of cinnamon, and they have different flavors. If you learn to like the good stuff, you might not need so much of it.

I also like the tip about vanilla, but for goodness sake, buy quality vanilla, which I warn, has gotten very expensive.

Coffee people try different varieties and blends. So do tea people. I think you could be a cinnamon person, and I can’t think of any reason why you would not enjoy being so.

And I have to admit that I did not know that cinnamon was a blood thinner.
Central American vanilla is still quite reasonable, and has always been very high quality. I have moved to sourcing as many spices out of Central America as possible. It started when I bought a packet of El Guapo whole black peppercorns and discovered it was much more flavorful than that sold by McCormick or Schilling. I have an 8 ounce bottle of Mayan vanilla in the cupboard that is wonderful and didn't cost all that much. Check your local hispanic markets. The big chain buyers never taste what they sell.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 PM

615 posts, read 203,598 times
Wow, I didn't know all this stuff about cinnamon. I do buy the expensive Ceylon cinnamon, and for a while I consumed it in almost everything, from oatmeal, to chili, even in smoothies. But in the last few months I have actually barely had any. After fifteen years I think I am finally getting sick of it lol.

The blood thinner thing scares me, because I bruise very easily. It's one of the reasons I don't take K2 that everyone with osteoporosis is touting because when I do take it in supplement form, I bruise way more often. Never occurred to me to pay attention to how spices would affect me negatively. Learn something new everyday!

Old 08-06-2019, 11:50 PM

13,464 posts, read 22,044,425 times
Saigon cinnamon is the one with higher levels of coumarin, a naturally occurring blood thinner. It is the ceylon cinnamon you want to get - flavor profile is subtler but more authentic tasting.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 PM

22,250 posts, read 14,612,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Central American vanilla is still quite reasonable, and has always been very high quality. I have moved to sourcing as many spices out of Central America as possible. It started when I bought a packet of El Guapo whole black peppercorns and discovered it was much more flavorful than that sold by McCormick or Schilling. I have an 8 ounce bottle of Mayan vanilla in the cupboard that is wonderful and didn't cost all that much. Check your local hispanic markets. The big chain buyers never taste what they sell.
I was given vanilla from Central America. The first ingredient listed on the label was propylene glycol. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink