U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM

22,966 posts, read 29,199,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is the Ribeye choice or prime?

Costco sells a ribeye roast in prime grade. The meat is excellent and the price is really good, but believe me, it is not selling for $6 a pound. It will be at least twice that... which is a screaming good deal for prime grade rib roast.

Maybe I should take a little cruise past the Costco meat counter and see what they are asking for the prime grade rib, to see if there are any bargains. Four more months until Christmas dinner and beef freezes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 AM

6,156 posts, read 2,989,620 times
For some reason I've become a sirloin man. This follows a good 20 years as a ribeye man, a glorious time of me scoffing at eaters of other cuts as I enjoyed the well-marbled ribeyes with blood running down my chin. Sirloin gets a bad wrap man, it's really quite flavorful and as I've also gone from a medium rare to a rare type I've found sirloins work better since the fat on a ribeye can be less than ideal in a true blue rare steak.

Sure it might take some extra sawing, but man do I love me a good sirloin!

Old 08-17-2019, 12:01 PM

72,460 posts, read 84,245,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What's happening? Is there a glut of beef on the market?

2 weeks ago, my store had whole ribeye roast for $6 a pound. I've got one in my fridge dry aging. Then the ad came out for this week and ribeye roast is again $6 a pound. (select grade)

Another store has twice this summer had choice grade certified Angus rib steaks with bone at $6 a pound.

This is barbecue season. Steaks should be at their very highest price of the entire year right now.

I'm putting steaks into my freezer, but wondering why the price is so low. Anyone know?

I cut the roasts up into steaks but maybe I should save a roast because Christmas dinner will be here and a rib roast will be well received. The meat freezes well.
Noat of us are experiencing the opposite. The same with briskett. We no longer can afford one. If we were smoking it for a family gathering yes, but when we consider the size and the cost. we just have stopped smoking them. We no longer can find small ones and the huge ones will cost $25 or more and that blows my weekly budget.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:59 PM

15,868 posts, read 12,368,535 times
Just wanted to say I cut ribeye roasts into steaks, too!
I can get them at Holiday times $5.49 a pound.
So I see you're surprise.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
.........I can get them at Holiday times $5.49 a pound........

Yes, for several years, the local stores had rib roast wars at Christmas, very much like the turkey wars at Thanksgiving. I would pick up 3-4 of them.

There wasn't a rib roast war last year and the turkey wars have become unprofitable for me. It's great to get a turkey for 19 cents a pound or even for free, but not if I have to buy $100 of groceries from the expensive price store to get it. Not only that but things I routinely buy are excluded, like all the dairy products.

If this beef price thing lasts until Christmas, I hope there will be rib roast wars again.

I like the rib roast wars because it is always a roast with the bone included. I can get the butcher to cut me one where he doesn't cut the bones loose and tie them back on. I roast the roast with bones and then cut the bones loose with a generous amount of meat attached. Next day we have thick meaty barbecue beef bones for dinner. These whole rib roasts I am getting for $6 a pound are boneless.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM

15,181 posts, read 19,233,236 times
Where are y'all getting select grade? (Except you, MaineBroker ��)

Old 08-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where are y'all getting select grade? (Except you, MaineBroker ��)

I'm getting it at the restaurant supply store. They sell two grades: select and certified choice Angus. I'm buying primal cuts, the whole chunk.

Any lower priced market will sell select. Also, Safeway used to advertise it as "Safeway Select" beef, like it was some big deal. I think a lot of markets still sell it, especially when they have some sort of good sale on meat. If it doesn't have the USDA Choice sticker on the package, it is going to be select grade.

Select is cheaper and so it can be sold cheaper. Low price brings in customers. I'd expect that almost all the burger sold is select grade or even lower grade.

Also, Americans have this thing about buying meat with no visible fat on it. That would be select grade. Choice has visible fat.

I buy the choice grade Angus shoulders (chuck) to make hamburger with and it makes a fatty burger that is delicious. I buy select shoulders for my dogs and occasionally I set some of that aside to make chili with and it has noticeably less fat in it.

I think the huge difference is in the aging. The select grade has very little aging and often smells green. The Angus is very obviously aged a little longer and it is a tiny bit drier and smells better raw. Both can smell fine after cooking.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:03 PM

13,171 posts, read 8,922,682 times
I don't bother with ribeye. Short rib, flank, and skirt steaks keep going up in price because of millennials watching ethnic eats.

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Noat of us are experiencing the opposite. The same with briskett. We no longer can afford one. If we were smoking it for a family gathering yes, but when we consider the size and the cost. we just have stopped smoking them. We no longer can find small ones and the huge ones will cost $25 or more and that blows my weekly budget.

Advertised this week whole brisket $2.77 a pound 14 pound average is the size. Not small but they can be cut and frozen. That seems to me to be cheaper than they have been for a very long time. I don't buy brisket or I'd be on that.

I do make corned beef, but 14 pounds of corned beef is a bit too much for me, so I am going to pass....... or maybe I should think about this.

Salted meats don't freeze well, but I could cut the brisket into chunks, freeze it, and only make one chunk at a time into corned beef. Hmmm, I'm going to mull this over.

Old Today, 03:05 PM

18,457 posts, read 23,717,774 times
in a store today and he had no/roll ungraded rib eyes (whole boneless) in his case for 5.99lb

these were very well marbles - I bought a whole one and it looks like a prime grade...very well marbled.. I cut and packaged the rib eye....its in the freezer now with two being for dinner..

most places don't sell ungraded beef....but if you do see the words no-roll or ungraded....you can get a great deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink