U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:44 AM

72,479 posts, read 84,261,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
An acquaintance was involved in opening up the Chicagoland Fresh Market stores. When I walked through on opening day, the food throughout the store was really quite appealing. However, I find it really hard to justify paying 2-3x what the local independent delis were charging. I really enjoyed walking through the stores for meal ideas but never ended up making a purchase.
I do agree, that is why I spend so little there and set a limit. This past Sat I got their tuna steaks, 2 for 1. So two decent sized ones only cost $8.00. Also picked up some 1/2 price wine and yes, I did buy some cheese. It was expensive but good cheese is pricey as we all know. They were running another special: buy $60 worth of food and get $10 off your bill. I, like a fool didn't take advantage of the deal. I only spent about $40. Now I am kicking myself For lunch meat itself, we try to eat as little as possible. We know it isn't good for us, but a little isn't going to hurt anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:42 PM

9,597 posts, read 9,373,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I used to shop at a major grocery store about 25 south of Seattle. The deli section was awesome, heaping platters of potato salads, coleslaw, pasta salad, harvest salad, Thai noodle salad. Platters of meatloaf, turkey breast, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes. The works.

Iíve been traveling in the southwest, and all that is gone. Walmart? Forget a nice deli section. Albertsons here has soups, fried foods, but no fresh salads.

What gives? Does your store have a good deli section? Interested in hearing about H-E-B grocery stores especially.
Why anyone would go to a deli at a Walmart is beyond me.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I can think of a couple of reasons: 1-they don't have a lot of choices if they live in a small town. 2-some people actually are not that particular about the quality or have not had the better quality so they are happy with Walmart. I could say the same about people who eat at McDonald't but there are those who could eat there almost everyday and never get tired of it.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 AM

10,522 posts, read 9,486,859 times
All of the local grocery stores have very good deli sections (including Walmart).

Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 PM

23,307 posts, read 10,673,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Someone started a thread on the Pennsylvania board asking if there was a west coast equivalent of Wegmans. You should check it out. Maybe you can answer their question.
God I miss Wegmans!

Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 PM

22,966 posts, read 29,213,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

They sell the same deli sliced meats as anyone else and their fried chicken and jo jo potatoes look and smell good. The pizza is really cheap and it's plenty good enough for the price. Food is fresh because they sell large amounts of it so turn over is fast.

All the delis are buying the same brand of potato salad and there are not a lot of brands of lunch meat, so you are probably getting exactly the same meats at the more expensive store.

So, I haven't done a survey, but my best guess is that the patrons at the Walmart deli are getting the same food that you are buying at the expensive store except they are paying half as much as you are.

Note: the roasted chicken at Costco is a better buy than the roasted chicken at Walmart, but their roasted chicken looks good and comes in several different seasonings, which you can not get at Costco (Costco roast chicken is the ultimate bargain, nobody can beat them)

Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They sell the same deli sliced meats as anyone else and their fried chicken and jo jo potatoes look and smell good. The pizza is really cheap and it's plenty good enough for the price. Food is fresh because they sell large amounts of it so turn over is fast.

All the delis are buying the same brand of potato salad and there are not a lot of brands of lunch meat, so you are probably getting exactly the same meats at the more expensive store.

So, I haven't done a survey, but my best guess is that the patrons at the Walmart deli are getting the same food that you are buying at the expensive store except they are paying half as much as you are.

Note: the roasted chicken at Costco is a better buy than the roasted chicken at Walmart, but their roasted chicken looks good and comes in several different seasonings, which you can not get at Costco (Costco roast chicken is the ultimate bargain, nobody can beat them)
You are right depending on the brand of lunch meat you are used to getting. As for the fried chicken, at least at our WalMart it really isn't nearly as good as it looks nor is any of their chicken. For prepared chicken I will stick with Sam's thank you. No one can beat Sam's roasted chicken for the price or otherwise. Of course i haven't had Costcos.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,514,208 times
I definitely like our Fresh Market deli over any other in the area. Publix sells Boars Head, so that's not too bad. We also have a Kroger with a large Murray's cheese counter and we get our fun cheeses there. I never think to check the attached deli, it's probably a good one.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM

13,176 posts, read 8,927,282 times
I have 2 Wegmans within me but I don't care about their Delis. Because they are still manned by ordinary workers.

If I wanted a sandwich I go to a real deli and there's plenty of Kosher delis around here in NJ where the owner knows their meats. There's plenty of immigrant delis here that serve up the best unique sandwiches. No need to go to big box like Wegman's.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have 2 Wegmans within me but I don't care about their Delis. Because they are still manned by ordinary workers.

If I wanted a sandwich I go to a real deli and there's plenty of Kosher delis around here in NJ where the owner knows their meats. There's plenty of immigrant delis here that serve up the best unique sandwiches. No need to go to big box like Wegman's.
You need to remember, most of us posting here do not live in or near NYCity or Chicago. This would be like saying, if I want good seafood I would stick with the seafood market near the pier and I live in Boston lets say. Glad you have choices, most of us have to make do with what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or