U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 10:35 PM

4,070 posts, read 9,177,327 times

Advertisements

What is the best fat free yoghurt in your opinion? Up until now I've always eaten full fat based on what my doctor suggested. Now I've been told to lower saturated fat's. I can't believe the difference in the taste, the fat free is pretty awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 AM

624 posts, read 205,436 times
I eat 0% Fage Greek yogurt (plain nonsweetened), or 0% Stonyfield plain Greek yogurt. The latter is creamier and has a less tart taste to it, more mild. Fage is thicker and more tart. Both have a comparable nutritional profile to the full fat, with low sugar and high protein, good bit of calcium, potassium etc but will have less vitamin A and obviously far less saturated fat. I'm not a big consumer of dairy (still drink exclusively plant milk) but I do eat yogurt regularly so I like to keep it low in saturated fat. If I eat other cheese (about 1x per week if that) I eat the full fat as it has less other ingredients added (ie sugar, emulsifiers etc) than reduced fat, but the yogurts I mentioned do not have a lot of the fake ingredients in them as far as that goes.

You could also try nondairy yogurt, but most of them will have very high sugar, low protein, and a lot of other ingredients. I think there are a few decent almond based yogurts like Kite Hill brand that are low sugar and have on average about 4 grams protein. The calcium and potassium content will be lower but still has some. The taste will be very different than what you might be used to eating dairy, but it's good in it's own way.

What you add to yogurt can make a difference too. I tend to add fresh berries and ground flaxseed or chopped walnuts or pecans to mine for sweetness and texture and added nutrition.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 AM

38,539 posts, read 56,364,803 times
I didn't found any of the plain.
The flavored are just way to sugary.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:14 AM

Thank you both. I used to eat the Fage full fat, and loved it. I hate the tartness of the fat free, it's almost in edible. Perhaps I will try the Stonyfield.

I only ever buy plain.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:52 PM

6,756 posts, read 4,218,369 times
Do you have a specific problem for which your doctor recommended lower saturated fats? Or is this what he/she tells everyone?

I would ignore that advice and keep eating full-fat yogurt, myself, in moderation, unless there was a really good reason not to. There is plenty of evidence that full-fat dairy doesn't lead to weight gain, heart problems, etc.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/f...ing-to-science

https://time.com/3734033/whole-milk-dairy-fat/

Maybe you could reduce saturated fats somewhere else. Less meat, less butter?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Do you have a specific problem for which your doctor recommended lower saturated fats? Or is this what he/she tells everyone?

I would ignore that advice and keep eating full-fat yogurt, myself, in moderation, unless there was a really good reason not to. There is plenty of evidence that full-fat dairy doesn't lead to weight gain, heart problems, etc.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/f...ing-to-science

https://time.com/3734033/whole-milk-dairy-fat/

Maybe you could reduce saturated fats somewhere else. Less meat, less butter?
She is on the cutting edge of brand new genetic testing and has spent over a decade creating a system for eating for your genetics (she travels the world teaching this method to other doctors and it will most likely be the future of medicine as it can help people turn off genes for cancer, autoimmune etc.). I spent a lot on this testing as I have been doing keto for a long time (and higher fat since 2005) but have been unable to loose weight like many others do on these types of diets. One of my genes basically makes my body convert all food I eat into fat if I eat more than 22 grams of saturated fat in a day. She told me what to eat for fat and protein: fat free dairy (my genes were okay for dairy, some aren't), chicken, fish, beef, egg whites, avocado, almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. I don't eat butter, bacon, coconut oil etc. She wants me to get a certain number of grams of protein per meal (according to another gene) so this is how she wants me to do it.

She is highly regarded and has had huge success with her patients so I am giving it a shot, so far I've lost almost 4 pounds in less than a week.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:53 PM

6,756 posts, read 4,218,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
She is on the cutting edge of brand new genetic testing and has spent over a decade creating a system for eating for your genetics (she travels the world teaching this method to other doctors and it will most likely be the future of medicine as it can help people turn off genes for cancer, autoimmune etc.). I spent a lot on this testing as I have been doing keto for a long time (and higher fat since 2005) but have been unable to loose weight like many others do on these types of diets. One of my genes basically makes my body convert all food I eat into fat if I eat more than 22 grams of saturated fat in a day. She told me what to eat for fat and protein: fat free dairy (my genes were okay for dairy, some aren't), chicken, fish, beef, egg whites, avocado, almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. I don't eat butter, bacon, coconut oil etc. She wants me to get a certain number of grams of protein per meal (according to another gene) so this is how she wants me to do it.

She is highly regarded and has had huge success with her patients so I am giving it a shot, so far I've lost almost 4 pounds in less than a week.
Sounds good; carry on!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:21 PM

11,136 posts, read 17,655,750 times
IMO, there is no good fat free yoghurt. Just eat something else.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

8,899 posts, read 10,949,802 times
I use Stonyfield low fat plain one. It's great. The non fat one isn't bad either.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 PM

1,480 posts, read 710,534 times
Oikos.....IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or