U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:41 PM
 
9,582 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Reputation: 12113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I use stainless steel pans. They always stick. I use non-stick pan before, but I heard the coating is bad for health.

What do you use?
I used to do fine with butter, before falling under the spell of non-stick.

Bravo to you for weaning yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 AM
 
Location: So Cal
14,841 posts, read 10,880,398 times
Reputation: 14362
In other threads about cooking proteins, it's always brought up that the meat should be at room temp before you start cooking it. It never seems to come up in the subject of eggs. Doesn't it still apply? Anyway, that's what I do. Among other tips that have already been brought up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 01:34 AM
 
846 posts, read 469,552 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
In other threads about cooking proteins, it's always brought up that the meat should be at room temp before you start cooking it. It never seems to come up in the subject of eggs. Doesn't it still apply? Anyway, that's what I do. Among other tips that have already been brought up.
there's much debate on that subject. many people consider it a myth. and a safety hazard. I'll leave meat out in the course of prepping meal, seasoning the meat, etc, but not to the extent I'm trying to let it reach room temperature.

eggs in the US bought from a supermarket generally need to be refrigerated because of how they treat the egg shells. farm fresh eggs do not need to be refrigerated. You're risking contamination by leaving US supermarket out at room temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Moku Nui, Hawaii
9,795 posts, read 19,012,013 times
Reputation: 8696
Not all cast iron is the same. If you can find an old cast iron pan that has a really fine machined smooth interior and has been seasoned for years, then you can cook eggs in it with no butter or oil necessary. Look for 'Griswald' or 'Wagner' if you can find it. Sometimes some of the older 'Lodge' pieces will work, but the newer 'Lodge' can have a really rough interior.


For one person, an 8" Griswald cast iron small skillet will do well. Lower edges are better than higher ones and if you can find one with a rounded 'omelette' shaped bottom, that's the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 626,715 times
Reputation: 1899
A good Cast Iron or Carbon Steel pan that is properly seasoned and never cleaned using any type of soap and use that pan for eggs only!

To clean the pan, use salt, a little olive oil and a piece of paper towel.

I can usually just wipe clean the pan with the paper towel & a drop of olive oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM
 
Location: So Cal
14,841 posts, read 10,880,398 times
Reputation: 14362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
there's much debate on that subject. many people consider it a myth. and a safety hazard. I'll leave meat out in the course of prepping meal, seasoning the meat, etc, but not to the extent I'm trying to let it reach room temperature.

eggs in the US bought from a supermarket generally need to be refrigerated because of how they treat the egg shells. farm fresh eggs do not need to be refrigerated. You're risking contamination by leaving US supermarket out at room temperature.
Thanks for your response. Yes, I've heard of that, that eggs naturally have a barrier but once they're washed, or "treated," as you say, they need to be refrigerated. Sounded bizarre the first time I heard of it, storing the eggs unrefrigerated.

Hmm. Maybe "room temp" is the wrong wording. I don't mean leaving it out for hours, but just so it's not taken directly from the fridge. It just feels "wrong" to me to take a chilled egg and throw it directly on the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 04:38 PM
 
846 posts, read 469,552 times
Reputation: 802
^i don't think it really matters, but to each tgeir own. dufferent strokes and all that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM
 
846 posts, read 469,552 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Not all cast iron is the same. If you can find an old cast iron pan that has a really fine machined smooth interior and has been seasoned for years, then you can cook eggs in it with no butter or oil necessary. Look for 'Griswald' or 'Wagner' if you can find it. Sometimes some of the older 'Lodge' pieces will work, but the newer 'Lodge' can have a really rough interior.


For one person, an 8" Griswald cast iron small skillet will do well. Lower edges are better than higher ones and if you can find one with a rounded 'omelette' shaped bottom, that's the best.
if you cook with a modern cast iron pan a lot, itll smoth it overtime, but can take a while.

what some people do is strip the seasoning on the new pan, then take a grinder and smoothen the bottom to a machined finish before reapplying the seasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,115 posts, read 1,853,454 times
Reputation: 4278
Agree with the bacon grease. Just need a little in the pan to coat all the surfaces. Collect it in a jar for the freezer next time you fry bacon. Then chip out a little bit for eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 PM
 
635 posts, read 189,088 times
Reputation: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Whether you agree or not really is beside the point. The instructions on my recently purchased pan expressly stated not to use sprays on the pan as it ruins the pan. Perhaps the 20 year old pans you're using have a different material for the coating.

It's the first item in this article about how people ruin their non-stick pans:

https://www.today.com/food/7-ways-yo...e-them-t104329
omg, this is so interesting. part of the reason I'm going ANTI-TEFLON is because one of my "expensive" non-stick pans have worn down and looking closely I could see gaps of teflon missing from its surface (probably ingested). I'm trying to reduce our plastic and teflon intakes. We no longer use bottled water. Anyway, thanks for posting that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top