Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

I use that spray-on oil coating. I use either cast iron or stainless steel pan.

Personally, I wouldn't use a non-stick pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do NOT us spray on oils, as this will ruin your pan.
Nope. I'm using a set of pans my dad bought around 20 years ago. If you even WALKED by that pan with a metal utensil, he'd be after you quick! lol But he would always give his pans (a set of 3 different size) a little spray ever so often. But, just like seasoned skillets, he wouldn't put them in dish water. Just wiped with a soapy dish rag. I'm still using those pans and don't have to worry a bit about anything sticking. And I use the generic version of Pam too.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Nope. I'm using a set of pans my dad bought around 20 years ago. If you even WALKED by that pan with a metal utensil, he'd be after you quick! lol But he would always give his pans (a set of 3 different size) a little spray ever so often. But, just like seasoned skillets, he wouldn't put them in dish water. Just wiped with a soapy dish rag. I'm still using those pans and don't have to worry a bit about anything sticking. And I use the generic version of Pam too.
you must have done it right then! I'm just learning how to season pans after a very recent decision to dump my Tupperware. The iron skillet was inherited, so it's smooth as silk. The big skillet is still new. I heated it with lard last night. Is that better than veg oil? It had sticking issues today, so I'll keep at it. Iron skillets seem easier to season than the stainless. Fun story about your dad.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
if you get the stainless pan really hot and then put oil in it, the eggs should not stick.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:28 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
you must have done it right then! I'm just learning how to season pans after a very recent decision to dump my Tupperware. The iron skillet was inherited, so it's smooth as silk. The big skillet is still new. I heated it with lard last night. Is that better than veg oil? It had sticking issues today, so I'll keep at it. Iron skillets seem easier to season than the stainless. Fun story about your dad.
Settled, when my sons were younger they just couldn't believe it watching my dad pop popcorn in a cast iron skillet. He'd lift the lid just enough to get the popped corn out while the rest was still popping. lol

Old 08-11-2019, 11:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Whether you agree or not really is beside the point. The instructions on my recently purchased pan expressly stated not to use sprays on the pan as it ruins the pan. Perhaps the 20 year old pans you're using have a different material for the coating.

It's the first item in this article about how people ruin their non-stick pans:

https://www.today.com/food/7-ways-yo...e-them-t104329

Quote:
Stop where you are and put down that nonstick cooking spray! While you may be using a spray like Pam instead of oil or butter to reduce calories in a dish, it’s actually not compatible with nonstick cookware. Using the spray time after time will result in a build-up that is almost impossible to remove

Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I use stainless steel pans. They always stick. I use non-stick pan before, but I heard the coating is bad for health.

What do you use?
The quick answer is butter; it not only keeps the eggs from sticking but adds flavor - you don't need a lot. I always use stainless steel pans and have never had a problem. Heat the pan enough to easily melt the butter but not enough to burn it. Swirl it so the butter covers the bottom completely and also comes up about a quarter inch on the sides.

Are you trying to do it without any kind of fat at all?

Still playing chess?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:39 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I use grape seed oil to season my cast iron pans, as it has a very high flash point.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 AM

2,341 posts, read 613,440 times
I use a little olive oil with butter - no sticking.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:36 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
A couple of tablespoons of butter. Imparts flavor and keeps the eggs from sticking.

Melt the butter. When it is hot and bubbling, add the eggs. Let the eggs cook for a little bit. If there is any sticking - use a rubber spatula to gently loosen the eggs. I flip the eggs by making a forward and upward motion with my wrist. No need for a utensil.

I do omelets the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink