U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 AM

6,372 posts, read 7,885,225 times

Advertisements

Scotch Eggs. You get an order of Heart Attack on the side, no extra charge! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM

4,242 posts, read 4,843,184 times
Steak Kabobs @ Dakota Co. Fair in MN

For years, My best friend and I would spend way to much time & Money at this
stand. An older gentleman who only sold steak kabobs and could smell them
from the other end of the grounds.

Nice chunks, perfectly cooked, asked for many years what he used and got
nothing but a wink & smile. Then we came up with a plan !

I'd go and buy 10 of them to keep him busy while my buddy walked around the back of the
tent to peek. it turned out it was nothing but Cavenders Greek Seasoning...That's It !

Each year after that we still continued to stop by and support him, he remembered us and
shared that this would be his last year and offered not only his seasoning secret but his
prep and cooking method.

To this day when I make them using his first name people always comment on how good
they are and what my secret is, being true to my word all they get is a wink and a smile

Old 08-12-2019, 12:58 PM

50 posts, read 7,251 times
Cheeseburger
Corndog
Navajo Fry Bread with butter and honey
Watermelon

Old 08-12-2019, 01:32 PM

2,622 posts, read 4,201,356 times
The Alaska State Fair starts next week! Mine are Pork Chop on a Stick, Steak Tacos, Pretzels and we always grab a bag of Becky's Kettle on the way out.
The wife goes for the Reuben Haus Reuben Sandwich and the hand dipped ice cream bars.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:51 PM

1,064 posts, read 559,794 times
I don't go for all this fried "anything you can" food that is the current trend. I'm old school. Sausage, peppers and onions hero with fresh lemonade followed by freshly fried zeppole with as much powdered sugar as they will hold.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:31 PM

817 posts, read 388,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Our MN State Fair is the largest in the United States and do they ever have a choice of foods. Some of the concessions have been in the same families for several generations and it can be difficult to get a place.

My favorites are the local foods - walleye fingers, wild rice, Norwegian lingonberry ice cream sodas, honey and sunflower seed ice cream.

But I also like to share a giant juicy peach from Washington State in our Horticulture Building or have a macaron from the downtown French bakery. The Mexican fruit palettas are good on a hot day and a rare treat the rest of the year.

There's a family who sent all their daughters to college with the money made by their onion ring stand and I will stand in line quite a while and pay quite a lot for those perfect delicacies. It's just fun to get up that close and have a good look at what a major, messy operation those folks put themselves through each year.

My favorite old-time fair food is a corn dog with yellow mustard on it. It's hard to get a good one. The last one I ordered had such a hopeless piece of meat inside that I couldn't eat it.

Oh, did I mention Tom Thumb donuts fresh out of the fryer dusted with cinnamon and sugar? Eat 'em fast. They won't taste very good when they cool off.
I agree a good corn dog is hard to find. I bought one at our local fair, and when I ate it I was so disappointed. They didn't use corn meal at all, just the same batter they dipped all of their dessert confections in. I was not happy!

And I am a sucker for donuts, they didn't sell any at our fair, but the ones you describe sound delish!

Old 08-12-2019, 04:35 PM

817 posts, read 388,798 times
I forgot that last year we went to the East Idaho fair and they sell Utah Scones there. So freaking delicious! For those who don't know a Utah scone is like a dough ball that's deep fried until cooked through, it's warm, fluffy, and served with honey butter, or it is coasted in cinnamon and sugar. 1,000 times better than those scones you eat with tea or coffee in my opinion. 🤤

Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 PM

2,336 posts, read 753,654 times
Pulled pork french fries, that sounds pretty dang good.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:14 PM

18,738 posts, read 23,437,985 times
Apple dumplings and big hot soft pretzels.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 PM

752 posts, read 181,794 times
Elote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink