U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 PM

813 posts, read 387,141 times

Advertisements

After running a food booth at our local county fair for the last eight days, and being there for twelve hours stretches day after day I ended up eating, and seeing, a lot of fair food.

We sold Dutch Oven Meals to fundraise for our FFA students which included Pork Loin, red potatoes, cowboy beans, a roll, and peach cobbler. People seemed to enjoy our food, especially the peach cobbler which I made several batches of daily, and I couldn't believe that it went over as well at it did. People came for peach cobbler in droves. 🤷*♀️

My favorite foods at our fair were the Fiesta taco which was a funnel cake with seasoned taco meat, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and cheese on it and the bbq pulled pork french fries which had coleslaw on top. Tasty! For dessert my favorite was the deep fried Oreo's and the German chocolate cake ice cream. Yum!

So what are your favorite Fair foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 AM

18,445 posts, read 23,688,089 times
I loved the fairs as a kid and the smell of fried foods
French fries to fried dough.

But fairs were almost magical as a kid -
Something to look forward to after working on a farm all summer
Or out on a commercial fishing boat

When I brought my son to the fairs
All the foods I loved at his age he didn’t care for
I’m ready to buy. Pig out on 3-4 fried doughs
With butter n cinnamon and he’d rather have a slice
Of pie. Or cookie. So that’s what we had

Today I love the idea traditions of fairs and the farm stuff but the gate fees
Keep me away. 10 dollars now to get it
Ridiculous!!

But I would go after what you were selling

Old 08-12-2019, 04:58 AM

12,071 posts, read 4,119,441 times
Travelling Funfairs or Carnivals are fairly similar in the UK, although we do call items by fifferent names such as Candy Floss (Cotton Candy) or Toffee Apple (Caramel Apple), and you also have hot dogs, burgers, chips (french fries) and candy rock stalls etc - so basically everything that's bad for your teeth and not good for your health. I can't say I have a favourite.

There are some very large travelling funfairs (carnivals) in the UK, indeed all cities have them.

Nottingham Goose Fair - Wikipedia

The Hoppings - Wikipedia

Hull Fair - Wikipedia

Whilst there are also Winter Wonderlands and Christmas Markets, these tend to have a lot of European food and drink stalls as well as traditional funfair food.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland - Wikipedia

Christmas market - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-12-2019 at 05:42 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 AM

1,285 posts, read 326,573 times
We used to go to a Cajun Crawfish festival that the city of Ft. Lauderdale used to host. The boiled crawfish were a favorite. Now I do them at home during season. At the festival they didn't serve them with the standard veges and andouille sausage common at home boils. The festival is long gone now. Oh, I miss the bands that played there as well, but the music is still a favorite because it reminds me of folks having a good time. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM

36,913 posts, read 42,267,686 times
Corn dogs.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 AM

6,404 posts, read 3,644,361 times
Our MN State Fair is the largest in the United States and do they ever have a choice of foods. Some of the concessions have been in the same families for several generations and it can be difficult to get a place.

My favorites are the local foods - walleye fingers, wild rice, Norwegian lingonberry ice cream sodas, honey and sunflower seed ice cream.

But I also like to share a giant juicy peach from Washington State in our Horticulture Building or have a macaron from the downtown French bakery. The Mexican fruit palettas are good on a hot day and a rare treat the rest of the year.

There's a family who sent all their daughters to college with the money made by their onion ring stand and I will stand in line quite a while and pay quite a lot for those perfect delicacies. It's just fun to get up that close and have a good look at what a major, messy operation those folks put themselves through each year.

My favorite old-time fair food is a corn dog with yellow mustard on it. It's hard to get a good one. The last one I ordered had such a hopeless piece of meat inside that I couldn't eat it.

Oh, did I mention Tom Thumb donuts fresh out of the fryer dusted with cinnamon and sugar? Eat 'em fast. They won't taste very good when they cool off.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 AM

3,512 posts, read 1,748,017 times
Funnel cakes. Nothing better than fried dough.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM

3,921 posts, read 1,525,238 times
lately, the favorite has been the fried "whatever".
(candy bars, salad, soft drinks, etc.)
just like to try something new.
https://www.rd.com/food/fun/state-fair-fried-food/

Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,145,184 times
There was a street festival in the theater district of NYC this past weekend (though I still don't know what the purpose was), and the arepas were outstanding!

Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 AM

1,543 posts, read 708,432 times
giant soft pretzels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink