U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 PM

25,294 posts, read 24,196,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My parents would not let me drink coffee until I was 14 arguing that it would stunt my growth. I do not think that it worked very well.

Personally, I do not think that most young children would drink it even if it was offered due to bitterness. There will be outliers as I have seen several 4 year olds who who will eat a lemon like it is an apple.
My older sister loved the taste of coffee so much that she started putting ground coffee in her mouth and sucking on it when mom wouldn't let her drink any. She was about 11 years old.

When my niece was a toddler, she loved green onions.

My mother had some sort of rule, but I didn't want to drink coffee until I was 14 or 15. I didn't drink it daily until I was in my late 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 PM

22,275 posts, read 14,630,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Okay, I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't let them formally start drinking coffee until 17 - and I'd do my best to keep soft drinks away from them, too.

However, I have to say that I see nothing wrong with doing - as my grandparents did with me - letting me occasionally have perhaps an eighth of a cup of coffee, sugared, to flavor my milk as a child.
Ha, ha. You say you wouldn’t “let” your kids drink coffee until age 17! You’re going to follow them around and monitor their beverage choices?

Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,114,825 times
I'd say when they are no longer kids.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,345,375 times
I must have been 4 or 5 years old and staying with my maternal Italian grandparents. My grandfather would put a mug of coffee in front of me, drop in a raw egg, and that was breakfast. Didn't start drinking coffee on a semi-regular basis until high school. Three years in the Army and 40 years as a cop made coffee my best friend. Once I retired five years ago, I rarely have coffee unless I'm dining out at breakfast.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 PM

3,896 posts, read 3,556,203 times
I have a Brazilian French friend, she was serving her boys cafe con leche for breakfast at 6 yrs old.
I on the other hand hadn't tasted this liquid gold until I was I my 30's!!!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 PM

8,213 posts, read 8,709,957 times
My father loved coffee and he would make me a small cup consisting of a lot of milk and some sugar when I was around 3. I can't remember at what age I was given tea, probably when I had a sore throat. Again, the tea was sweetened and had added lemon. As I got a little older, I hated coffee. To this day, I can't stand it and I can't stand the smell. I do still like tea.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 PM

813 posts, read 387,141 times
I don't drink coffee at all, I don't care for it unless it's drowning in flavored creamer, but every once in a blue moon I'll buy a bottle of Starbucks Mocha for a bit of caffeine and my daughter has finished off the bottle for me. She is 12 now, but she was drinking it at 11, and 10 also. She is a big fan of coffee flavored ice cream as well, which I let her buy that flavor is she's so inclined. I think that the fact that I rarely have coffee flavored beverages in the house makes her drinking anything coffee flavored a special treat, and not an everyday thing, and I'm ok with it. My older daughter who is 15 can't stand coffee at all.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM

3 posts, read 214 times
I think children above 15 can have coffee well it is not needed for children to drink dark or black coffee they can have it as iced milk coffee or as frappe that would be better. You can also give your children's organic coffee that has no side effect at all and your children will gradually enjoy it.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM

12,071 posts, read 4,119,441 times
There is aways the decaffeinate coffee option.

Decaf Coffee: Good or Bad? - Healthline

Are the methods used to decaffeinate coffee bad for me? - BBC

Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM

14,203 posts, read 7,598,649 times
I’m from the land of coffee syrup. Coffee milk or a coffee frappe (milk shake) were normal food items but not something you’d consume every day. I don’t recall drinking coffee daily as a breakfast drink until I got to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or