U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM

72,516 posts, read 84,297,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
My eldest daughter has drunk tea since she was around 4 years old. Right or wrong, that's just what we did. Fast forward 12 years and I occasionally find a stash of teabags hidden around the dining room when she fears we're getting low on supplies. Bad mother alert!!
that is pretty funny and pretty smart of her at the same time. As long as it isn't beer or some other really bad for her drink; she is enjoying a treat whether good for her or not. We all do things that are not good for us from time to time. I don't think tea is going to really hurt anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 AM

3,623 posts, read 1,667,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
At it's heart, it's a social custom I think. The adults sit together and have tea or coffee and chat, and the kids join in. Definitely a morning ritual for us. I'm not sure if my daughter gets a headache if she starts the day without tea. I guess I'll have to ask her.
The tea wasn't really a social thing in my family, unless guests came over. It was mostly a utilitarian after-meal thing. I rarely joined in, unless I was spoken to, unless there were other kids at the table.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 AM

8,930 posts, read 10,963,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Kids start eating junk, usually from the getgo............sodacrap and juice included.

So I do not really see coffee being a big deal at a younger age.

But I know it won't be coffee-coffee that little Kiddies will be drinking....but
milshake-icecream-candyified coffee. Black coffee, yes.
Right. The amount of sugar children get is pretty bad. And, obesity at young ages, more diabetic children than ever. We never ate much as kids, ate more naturally thankfully.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:04 PM

4,170 posts, read 3,850,277 times
I offered my 15 yr old a few sips of caffeinated coffee one morning when he'd been out very late at a performance, but had to be at school before 730 AM. He loved the effect - said he was awake for his first class for the first time ever. Now he has a few sips most school day mornings.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 8,146,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My wife prohibits my 13 year old to drink coffee, and thinks coffee should be for college students. Googled answer says 14 might be appropriate.

What is your view?
My kids get caffeine through the occasional soda or tea at ages 7 and 10. So long as it isn't before bed, or too frequent, we have no problem with it. My 7 year old loves the taste of coffee, so sometimes we give her like, one ounce, in a small cup with lots of milk and some sugar. No more than that though.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM

1,292 posts, read 747,401 times
I started at around 6 or 7 I guess. Cafe con leche is common in Latin households. It's better for kids to drink coffee than soda.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 PM

43,716 posts, read 53,109,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh come on, a couple of cups of coffee in the morning isn't going to do damage to any of us. We are not talking like in the years past when the pot was going all day. Both my parents and my in laws drank it all day. As a matter of fact we did as well many years ago. Now it is a couple of cups in the am; that is it. If they don't get caffeine from one source they will get it from another. I have a granddaughter who is a nurse practitioner plus a mom of 3. She admits she has to have her fix and though, in her case it isn't coffee, it is DR Pepper.
I don't understand the nurse prac comment or how it's relevant to anything, but I did not say a cup of coffee in the morning would harm anyone.

I said never drinking or becoming addicted to caffeine would be a preferred state.

People think caffeine enhances performance. Untrue UNLESS you are caffeine naive.

What caffeine does to people who are used to it is simply bring their performance BACK to their personal baseline. They think they are "enhanced," but what is actually happening is that they are crappy without it and don't realize it.

Because of downregulation of receptors and subsequent saturation (as well as depletion of catecholamines), drinking it all day does nothing to help people, either, in the long run.

I enjoy a cup of of coffee in the morning. It's comforting and a little ritual. I don't think caffeine is the devil.
But I don't think people NEED IT, either. I went years without it and got through high school, college, etc. Eating right, good sleep hygiene, and exercising gives you tons of clean- burning energy.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM

395 posts, read 299,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is pretty funny and pretty smart of her at the same time. As long as it isn't beer or some other really bad for her drink; she is enjoying a treat whether good for her or not. We all do things that are not good for us from time to time. I don't think tea is going to really hurt anyone.
Lol, thank you. I know some say that tea is considered more mild than coffee in regards to caffeine, but then I've heard it's just as bad, or worse. I think she's comforted by tea. Each to their own hey

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

13,190 posts, read 8,937,905 times
Coffee is bad for kids because the acidity is very high and they can get upset stomachs very easily. Plus coffee is not necessary for kids who are usually energetic and having high dosage of caffeine can cause irregular heartbeat or heart attacks. Try giving your 8 year old a full cup of coffee then take their blood pressure and heartbeat. Many teens die of drinking too many energy drinks.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

72,516 posts, read 84,297,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The tea wasn't really a social thing in my family, unless guests came over. It was mostly a utilitarian after-meal thing. I rarely joined in, unless I was spoken to, unless there were other kids at the table.
We rarely had tea except for iced tea in the summer. After dinner mom and dad would have coffee and before dinner a couple of cocktails maybe. Guess that is where I learned dinner is complete without at least a glass of wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or