U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:21 AM

100 posts, read 31,492 times

Advertisements

My wife prohibits my 13 year old to drink coffee, and thinks coffee should be for college students. Googled answer says 14 might be appropriate.

What is your view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:49 AM

3,706 posts, read 2,095,770 times
We have just started letting my 13 year old order iced coffee. I wasn't thrilled but my husband convinced me it was ok. He does not drink it a lot maybe every couple weeks. There is no way I would allow it as an everyday thing.

Old Today, 05:08 AM

1,279 posts, read 325,035 times
Depends on the culture. I knew Cuban kids that were drinking "Cafe con Leche" as early as 8 or 9. Very heavy on the leche though.

Old Today, 05:19 AM

6,912 posts, read 3,851,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My wife prohibits my 13 year old to drink coffee, and thinks coffee should be for college students. Googled answer says 14 might be appropriate.

What is your view?
I'm of French ancestry, so coffee was in everyone's life. Relatives visiting each other would drink dark coffee and the smokers would smoke. Everyone drank coffee.

I started drinking coffee with a lot of milk when I was 10. As I recall, it was my decision. I asked, and Mom said yes, but to add a lot of milk. I'm now 65, and only a few days since then have I gone without coffee starting my day. I love it. OTOH, some of my siblings didn't start drinking coffee that young. One never liked it; the tannins upset her stomach.

So when a kid starts on coffee may have to do with the culture of the family. Objectively speaking, there's no reason a kid needs coffee at all. It has benefits, but it also has negatives. Caffeine is, after all, a drug.

Old Today, 05:23 AM

72,357 posts, read 84,118,548 times
Quote:

What is your view?
Well I don't want to get in the middle of a family dispute but by the time I was in high school I was drinking coffee at breakfast and as a child my grandma would give it to us with cream and sugar. I have never thought of it, by what age is right. I would have to say I disagree with your wife on this one. Let the kids at 12 or 14 give it a try. A lot probably will not even enjoy it, but those who do, I don't see the harm.

Old Today, 07:04 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,053,047 times
Quote:

What is your view?
Three or four years old.

Old Today, 07:11 AM

1,900 posts, read 611,141 times
Ive mentioned elsewhere here that I started very young. I still remember sitting in my moms shopping cart when wed go back to where they ground coffee. I loved the small and would constantly badger her to have some. She finally gave in to shut me up. Ive been drinking it since.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

969 posts, read 247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm of French ancestry, so coffee was in everyone's life. Relatives visiting each other would drink dark coffee and the smokers would smoke. Everyone drank coffee.

I started drinking coffee with a lot of milk when I was 10. As I recall, it was my decision. I asked, and Mom said yes, but to add a lot of milk. I'm now 65, and only a few days since then have I gone without coffee starting my day. I love it. OTOH, some of my siblings didn't start drinking coffee that young. One never liked it; the tannins upset her stomach.

So when a kid starts on coffee may have to do with the culture of the family. Objectively speaking, there's no reason a kid needs coffee at all. It has benefits, but it also has negatives. Caffeine is, after all, a drug.

Same here -- started at age 9 and has been a daily habit ever since but only one-two cups per day.

Old Today, 07:39 AM

6,890 posts, read 2,488,345 times
Quote:

What is your view?

My mom was an RN. She wouldn't let us drink tea or coffee until we were 14. She said it was hard on our kidneys. We also weren't allowed to drink soda, except for weekends, or special occasions.

Old Today, 08:23 AM

12,047 posts, read 4,109,796 times
Soft drinks such as Coke and Pepsi are drinks high in Caffeine.

Energy Drinks should also be avoided as should rice drinks.

Energy drinks 'not good for children' - NHS

Certain chains such as Costa Coffee can refuse to sell caffeine drinks to under 16's, however the general age for drinking coffee at home is usually 12. In terms of tea is has much less caffeine than coffee.

Under 16s can now be banned from drinking caffeine at Costa Coffee - Metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or