U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM

23,229 posts, read 10,639,053 times

Advertisements

I'm used to baking one or two boneless chicken breasts in the over at a time...350 degrees for 35 minutes.

But on Thursday I am baking 9 chicken breasts for a dinner party.

Do I have to adjust the time they're in the oven longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 5,153,968 times
As long as they aren't crowded close together and your oven is fairly even, the cook time should remain roughly the same.

Better yet ... get yourself a meat thermometer (the kind with the probe that stays in the meat and a receiver that sits on the counter), and eliminate guesswork. It's better to cook to temperature rather than cook by time. You don't risk over- or under-cooking your meat.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM

7,509 posts, read 13,027,988 times
I'm probably lucky I haven't made anybody sick but the way I check to see if chicken is done, either in the oven or on the grill, is stick it with a knife or fork. If nothing bloody comes out I cook for another 5 minutes or so. Never have used a meat thermometer.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM

23,229 posts, read 10,639,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm probably lucky I haven't made anybody sick but the way I check to see if chicken is done, either in the oven or on the grill, is stick it with a knife or fork. If nothing bloody comes out I cook for another 5 minutes or so. Never have used a meat thermometer.
I don't usually think of blood coming out of a baking chicken breast.

But that does remind me of when I was living in Thailand for a couple of years.

One story was that the chicken breasts in the modern market seemed so red. I researched why. Turns out they don't "hang" the breasts to make the blood drain out.

The other was that one time I brought home a package of breasts from the modern market and when I opened the package the smell told me they were spoiled. My Thai roommate said, "We can give them to the maid", as if giving the hired help food poisoning was all right. Let's just say that Thai food cleanliness was not up to Western standards. In fact, the one thing I wish I had never seen in Thailand occurred when I was walking around the city and saw what looked like a big circus tent. In Thailand you're generally pretty welcome to walk in and look around almost any place (other than private homes), so I sauntered in, only to find it was where the carcasses and such were brought in after being shipped to Bangkok by train or truck, or even boat. There the "butchers" were, cutting up the various types of meat -- no refrigeration, no air conditioning, temperatures in the tent near 100, and meat and poultry just hanging and laying there. It was hard for me to eat much for almost a week after that.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM

55 posts, read 3,127 times
The special item chicken breasts at Aldi that are garlic flavored, I would cook for 26 minutes, flip then bake for another 26 minutes.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:55 PM

9,372 posts, read 8,428,447 times
Are you just cooking plain chicken breasts?

Old 08-14-2019, 04:04 PM

38,525 posts, read 56,332,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
This!!! If clear juice comes out - its time to eat. I like my chicken breast juicy and slightly pink.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:03 PM

18,449 posts, read 23,698,442 times
165f internal temp for chicken...use to be 180.. the key to cooking bnls breasts and not to over-cook into rubber..

I strive for moistness over dryness.... you can try baking with a sheet of tinfoil over the breasts...

if you've never done this....try one breast ...for a trial run see if you like it..

Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,508,317 times
It will not take longer unless you have them all piled up together, but I doubt that's what you are doing. Just line them out the same way you do for 2 or 3 and you'll be fine.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM

15,156 posts, read 19,210,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
The special item chicken breasts at Aldi that are garlic flavored, I would cook for 26 minutes, flip then bake for another 26 minutes.
Seriously? baking boneless chicken breast for 50 minutes? talk about overcooked dry meat. . .

I don't remember the last time I baked boneless breasts (outside of a couple of not very satisfactory attempts to make baked chicken fingers). I'd MUCH rather have thighs or bone in chicken breast, but if I'm stuck with boneless breasts, I'll saute, sous vide, or throw them in the cast iron. I'll usually dry brine them. If I'm making a big batch for chicken salad, it's poached or instant pot.

The best use of boneless breasts is cutting them into chicken cutlets. Easy to do and BIG money saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or