Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Detroit-style pizza is baked in a rectangular tray originally intended for sorting auto parts. It's a local variant on the Sicilian tray. The Buscemi's convenience store chain has sold this pizza by the slice since I was a kid, if not longer.

I came here to say Detroit pizza. It's my favorite style of pizza, personally.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I can safely say that I don't live in a place that does crazy things like cut pizza the wrong way. LOL
Who cares which way it's cut? It's how good it TASTES that matters!!!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I live in the St. Louis area. I love Imo's pizza and provel cheese! Sadly, my husband, not so much.
Imo's---and St. Louis style pizza in general with provel and thin, crackery crusts---is the worst pizza I've ever tasted in my LIFE!!! And I have eaten a LOT of pizza in my life, lol. A lot of people who aren't from the St. Louis area can't really get into St. Louis style pizza, though.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:00 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
From my last visit. They don't purposely cut it into squares. They just are in such a hurry that the triangles are wonky.
This was from a visit when it wasn't so busy. No squares or rectangles.
I'm going to have to do more research!!!!

Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
When I was an undergraduate there was a pizza place in East Lansing, maybe Varsity Pizza(??) that would serve their traditional round pizzas cut into squares.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Who cares which way it's cut? It's how good it TASTES that matters!!!
Pizza without the crust does not do anything for me. The crust should be a part of the experience.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Pizza without the crust does not do anything for me. The crust should be a part of the experience.
There IS crust on most square pizzas. It's just not shaped the same as the crust on a round one. In fact, I actually prefer the "burt crust" edges of square pizza to the excessive crust on the end of most round pizzas, which I usually just end up throwing away half the time in order save more room for more slices...lol. Just my personal preference.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Having lived in several states, I had never seen pizza cut into squares until I moved to Wisconsin.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:00 PM

62 posts, read 201,025 times
Thanks for the input so far everyone.

I'm pretty much a pizza fanatic and I am super interested in unique regional foods, so it was pretty interesting to read about things like cooking pizza on cookie sheets in Germany, and especially a unique style in Shamokin, a place I have never even heard of.

But, I guess what I really want to find out is if there are more places that cut round pizzas into squares, along the lines of the pictures Nonamed and Bitey put up.

The post about Chicago natives actually favoring thin-crust, square cut pizza over deep dish was fascinating. It led me into a research tangent, and I found a few articles about it. I feel like my Chicago tourist life has been a lie, and I will definitely check it out next time I am there.

So the places (I think) we have established thus far are:

1. St. Louis (I like it, but have never met anyone else in person)
2. Quad City (Harris was rectangles, but my Happy Joe's was triangular, perhaps it was because I got it in Des Moines)
3. Chicago (thanks Bitey)
4. Cincinnati
5. Dayton
6. Columbus
7. Milwuakee (I guess, there's not much chatter about it on the web)
8. Washington State (someplaces - if you ask for it?)
9. Sir Pizza (It appears to be a spin off of Pizza King from Indiana and is spread loosely about the southeast)
10. Frank Pepe's (I don't remember it being square, but the clams may have distracted me)
11. One place near Detroit and one near Minneapolis (I'm guessing it's not too popular there)

Anyway's thanks again for the input. I'm especially interested if any other Midwestern city sells it, since that is another name I have seen, or if it just limited to a few Midwestern cities.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:16 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Senape's Café in Hazelton PA calls theirs Pitza. It is square cut. Order it with extra scamutz.

In Scranton, PA you can buy individual squares wrapped in plastic wrap at the check-out of convenient stores. Yes, people do buy them and eat it cold. Company is Profera's.

In Wyoming PA we have the Victory Pig. Thick crust and meets the description of "fried". It's cut in rectangles. They still have curb service if you don't want to get out of the car.

I don't remember where I was but once we were served round pizza cut into squares. What were they smoking? We couldn't figure out how we were supposed to pick it up. Admittedly, that wasn't the only thing we couldn't figure out that night. I've never seen pizza massacre since that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink