U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

44 posts, read 170,176 times

Advertisements

I was wanting to see what cities/areas cut their round pizzas into square shapes.

The other day I was in the grocery store and saw a pizza called Milwaukee Style. Of course, I had to try such an obscure style. I was surprised, however, when I saw that it was the same as what I know as Dayton or Columbus style.

This led to further research, and I discovered that thin crust, round pizza cut into squares with edge to edge cheese and toppings is often known as Tavern or Midwestern style pizza.

However, Cincinnati, where I live, while cutting pizza into squares, has a normal thickness crust with a visible crust ring around it.

So, now I want to ask if anyone has seen such pizza in their area, and if so, how common is it? Also, can you include any special details - such as the provel cheese of St. Louis or the small chopped up toppings of Dayton?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

32,535 posts, read 60,173,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca1 View Post
the small chopped up toppings of Dayton?
Ohhhh ... A Cassano's pizza with green and black olives, extra onions, and sausage. Beer on the side. Heaven.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

8,213 posts, read 8,709,957 times
In NY, it's called Sicilian pizza. The whole pie is a square and the slices are cut into squares. The crust is different from a regular pie. A classic Sicilian pizza does not have any toppings.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

3,534 posts, read 1,390,474 times
Milwaukee style is basically the same as Chicago tavern-style. Crisp, cracker-thin crust with lots of cornmeal and no rolled edge, cheese and ingredients all the way out to the edge, with a tangy & herbal sauce, baked as a round pizza and then cut in a criss-cross pattern, also known as the "party cut." Despite Chicago's reputation for its deep-dish, locals eat way more tavern-style than deep dish.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

36,910 posts, read 42,267,686 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza

Old Today, 05:12 AM

1,285 posts, read 326,573 times
When I was in high school, one local pizza place cut their round pizza into squares (with triangles at the edges), it was called Sir Pizza. They also diced the pepperoni into 1/4" cubes.

Old Today, 07:06 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,097,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
In NY, it's called Sicilian pizza. The whole pie is a square and the slices are cut into squares. The crust is different from a regular pie. A classic Sicilian pizza does not have any toppings.
That's what it is called up here in Mass too. I don't see it everywhere but I would say at least fifty percent of the pizza places I go have it.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

4,746 posts, read 3,758,138 times
Not quite square pizza, but I ate a lot of Harris pizza growing up in the Quad Cities. Quad Cities style has malt in the crust, is cut into strips with shears, and the toppings are under the crust. There's a QC pizza place here in Anderson SC but I haven't tried it yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_City-style_pizza

Old Today, 08:30 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,497,939 times
The Domino's thin and crispy crust pizza is round but is cut into square pieces.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

5,461 posts, read 2,462,983 times
Campisi's in Dallas makes a rectangular pizza cut into rectangles. It's the classic Dallas pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or