U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

7,889 posts, read 4,464,166 times

Advertisements

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I get annoyed every time I see photos of donuts piled high with first glaze (keep in mind that both yeast and cake doughnuts are already sweet), then topped with icing, then coated with frosting, then capped with candies. It's often intended to appeal more to the eye or cellphone camera than to the taste buds, as who could ever crave such a mouthful of nothing but sugar? Especially first thing in the morning??? It's probably because I grew up on plain fried cake donuts, homemade by my mother and grandmother, dipped in black coffee. Our local bakery posts images of the ridiculous confections, some piled inches high with frosting and/or thick with sprinkles, and posters just rave about them. I am purist, and this offends me.

Last edited by otterhere; Yesterday at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

744 posts, read 252,217 times
I am sorry that you are offended by donuts.

Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,471,028 times
You know you don't have to eat the donuts if you don't want the donuts, right? You can have whatever kind of donuts you want, just like other people.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

22,921 posts, read 29,140,035 times
They make what sells.

I see the expensive cupcakes with more frosting than cake. An excuse to eat frosting.

People who eat donuts are already people who like sweets.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

13,469 posts, read 22,054,672 times
This thread is meaningless without photos. Please share

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

36,913 posts, read 42,279,014 times
We have Hurts Donut.

They are covered with candy, crushed cookies, cereal, marshmallows, filled with peanut butter and jelly, wrapped in bacon, what have you. They are...not great, though they are admittedly a spectacle. They all pretty much taste the same, and that flavor is basically just cloyingly, generically sweet with no overriding particular flavor. Also, they are often undercooked because they're quite large, so doughy, and the toppings, while cute and gimmicky, get soggy and stale right away.

It isn't that one doesn't expect doughnuts to be sweet, but since their gimmick is "creative" toppings, it would be neat if they didn't all taste pretty much the same, and essentially just sugar-bomby.

I brought them for class once, and...yeah...they're a bit much. And just kinda sit in your stomach like a rock. I get a little queasy thinking about it.

https://binged.it/2OW9D5E

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

38,508 posts, read 56,315,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I get annoyed every time I see photos of donuts piled high with first glaze (keep in mind that both yeast and cake doughnuts are already sweet), then topped with icing, then coated with frosting, then capped with candies. It's often intended to appeal more to the eye or cellphone camera than to the taste buds, as who could ever crave such a mouthful of nothing but sugar? Especially first thing in the morning??? It's probably because I grew up on plain fried cake donuts, homemade by my mother and grandmother, dipped in black coffee. Our local bakery posts images of the ridiculous confections, some piled inches high with frosting and/or thick with sprinkles, and posters just rave about them. I am purist, and this offends me.
I never ever could understand why people would start a day with high sugary desserts.
I remember when I first came to this country and saw all those cinnamon rolls dripping with icing, waffles and pancakes swimming in a fake maple sauce, topped with butter, and sugar-frosted cereal on 7 AM TV commercials interrupting cartoons for kids, all that together with yum cheers and lip-smacking noises directed to little kids - I was horrified and never implemented it at my home. Obesity wasn't a big of a problem at that time, but that's how it started.

OP, you mean like this??

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey, what about double donut burger?

Spoiler
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 02:10 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

7,889 posts, read 4,464,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They make what sells.

I see the expensive cupcakes with more frosting than cake. An excuse to eat frosting.

People who eat donuts are already people who like sweets.
If I end up with a cupcake like that (at a potluck or party), I scrape off and dispose of all the but the thinnest layer of frosting, all that is needed, on what is - again - an already sweet cupcake. And I love candy. But baked breakfast goods are not, should not be, candy.

I just find it a silly, yes, GIMMICK and will be glad when the trend dies out, although with people still posting pics of their food after all these years of social media, it may never. I feel sorry for the children upon whom these saccharine confections are foisted (a target audience), as they'll never know tasteful, restrained pastry.

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

9,978 posts, read 5,149,726 times
Donuts aren't just for breakfast.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

18,446 posts, read 23,693,106 times
donuts are offensive??? i can understand that

that's about how I feel when I see peas …..or someone wants to put veggies on my plate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or