Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 08:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Not cooking indoors. I could walk to most of these places...get 6 big fries, be home in 45 seconds if I drove. I like being a bit different...no one would expect hot fries.

No one's cookin warm German pot salad on my watch...they're here to relax, do nothing/bring nothing.
And I'm not doin' it.
Thanks for the Wendy's idea, Debsi...I may not test any of them now...just get those...and leave
this place with all the 'other' suggestions.
Have fun.

Added: Gave you a rep, but wanted to thank you, hertfordshire, for explaining about BBQs.
If you're grilling outside? It's a BBQ in many parts.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-17-2019 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 08:44 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
I guess nobody else wants to say McDonalds.

In the past they had something called the bucket of fries if you asked for it, even though it was not on the menu. However you got about 15 minutes before they are unedible.

I always like potato salad with bratwurst. I'd even recommend a big tub of store-bought potato salad over fries. I can't imagine cooking brats, then running to a fast food place, driving back and handing out fries. By the time everyone starts eating, the fries are not going to be that great.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
Well, let's see...while I don't think this is a stellar idea, there must be a way to make it work. You could have your oven on a low setting and then run out for the fries (you say you can walk there, so very close) and put them all on a sheet pan and into your warm oven as soon as you get home. If you get them at KFC, you could also get mashed potatoes, which was another suggestion to go with Brats. Also, since you live close to so much stuff there must be Uber Eats or one of those services that could bring you whatever you want. If there is a restaurant you like (not fast food per se) that has fries you like, why not order them up? The drivers have hot boxes that can keep your food warm much longer than you can walking with it.

This reminds me of my childhood when my mother used to get fries and a loaf of really soft white bread on the way home. The fries came in a cardboard box and made the car smell amazing (at least I thought so). We would have hot fry sandwiches on buttered bread when we got home. I love that memory.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, the OP mentioned "a BBQ", which outside of the South is an event, not a food.

Sounds like they need "educating" on what BBQ is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Old 08-18-2019, 06:16 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
Maybe serve another potato dish already made like cold potato salad and also have hot fries as a second option? If you have an air fryer, and need fries quickly for a few people; frozen fries come out really well. I buy generic store brand crinkle cut, spray lightly with Pam (not necessary), and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Air Fry about 10 minutes on high, shake once while cooking.

If dead set on serving just fries, you could heat your frozen fries in advance and warm in small batches in the microwave as you need them.

If you want to leave your party to buy them, then I second the previous suggestion for McDonalds.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:45 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Just get some frozen Ore-Ida fries and cook them in the oven. If you have a convection oven or an air fryer that's even better for nice crisp fries. Like others have said, for a BBQ, fries doesn't seem like a good idea since the get cold in like 2 minutes. I would go for some sort of potato salad. I like red potatoes, cut-up, boiled with the peels on, chopped cooked bacon, chopped green onions and a creamy garlic dressing.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I prefer mash with brats & sauerkraut. Can you make your own fries, home made are better. Or make some German Potato salad. But if you want fries, I hope you can find some.

Best chips (fries) are triple cooked and in dripping.

Triple-cooked chips - Wikipedia

How to Make Triple-Cooked Chips - Great British Chefs

How to cook beef dripping chips - Shortlist

Canadian company McCain, now sells overn ready gourmet triple cooked chips in some countries.

Triple Cooked Chips | McCain Triple Cooked Gastro Chips

Old 08-18-2019, 08:48 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Sounds like they need "educating" on what BBQ is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY
Thank you, Don.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Fries are a terrible side for picnics and BBQs...and I love fries. Their physical properties dont lend themselves to sitting around in a bowl for an hour or more. Food at those type of events tends to sit around, so even if its fresh upon arrival, it wont be when people may get around to eating it. And unlike many other sides, fries dont go from yummy to slightly less good but still tasty, they get actively gross.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Honestly, I know it would be inconvenient and a real pain but if I rally wanted fries at my shindig I would be making them in batches on the spot.

I'm a bit on the lazy (and practical side) and would go with slaw, potato salad (whatever the type) and be done with it.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you asked for but jmho, sincerely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink