Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 03:27 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Is there a Bandana's in your area? They have smoked sausage...but not the souerkraut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's hundreds if not thousands of different 'emulsified' sausages. That doesn't all make them varieties of hot dog. You don't know sausages or food for that matter at all if you think that. A hot dog does not taste or even in detail look like a bratwurst at all. That's like saying to one of those Southrons that all their beloved BBQ is the same.
OTOH most 'southrons' will agree that 'real BBQ' all starts with the same premise, so in that respect all BBQ IS the same, just that there are a whole lotta ways of doing it. Ain't nobody gonna confuse sticking a hot dog on the grill with BBQ, lol.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that OP is willing to go the effort of setting up a cookout, but finds the idea of making a potato salad or cooking their own fries to be too much work? I'm firmly in the camp that thinks fast food fries really won't work well. Cooks outs are generally an activity that is about socializing while you grill, and it's time consuming. How do you time the delivery of the fries with the finished grill food, and who has to leave the gathering to do this?

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-20-2019 at 12:53 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,009,648 times
"Both hot dogs and the bratwurst are sausages. And, we are proud to say, the best hot dogs originate from Germany, as well as the bratwurst (more on the bratwurst here). They both taste great with mustard and can be served in a bun. But basically there's where similarities end."

https://sausageman.co.uk/bratwurst-not-hot-dogs

Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OTOH most 'southrons' will agree that 'real BBQ' all starts with the same premise, so in that respect all BBQ IS the same, just that there are a whole lotta ways of doing it.
Don't know many southerners, do ya? Getting North Carolinians and Texans to agree that their BBQ is the same is akin to achieving world peace.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Don't know many southerners, do ya? Getting North Carolinians and Texans to agree that their BBQ is the same is akin to achieving world peace.
Been down south for over thirty years, know plenty. Said the basic premise was the same, not the method or the taste. Pretty sure they all agree that sticking something on a grill is not BBQ.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
You have to be careful just throwing around the word BBQ in the south. From my experience in Texas, we typically use the word cookout for the event and BBQ for a type of food. That keeps you out of trouble.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:02 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
You have to be careful just throwing around the word BBQ in the south. From my experience in Texas, we typically use the word cookout for the event and BBQ for a type of food. That keeps you out of trouble.
The OP is in the southwest. In large parts of the country, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to the event as a BBQ.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Buy frozen and cook at home.

Don't even try to make your own. Potatoes only have about a two week period where they have the chemistry to make good fries. Otherwise they are crap which is why all restaurants serve frozen. Even Danny Meyer.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:53 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Hmm, if it were me, I'd be tempted to get a selection of as many different potatoes as possible, including varieties of sweet potatoes, one of those commercial style french fry slicers and a turkey fryer full of lard. Slice the potatoes, dust them with salt and a bit of sugar, put them in the fry basket and then serve them absolutely fresh when the rest of the BBQ is ready.

Of course, this then puts a large amount of really hot oil in a place where there may be a bit too much opportunity for accidents. Might be better to have the fries delivered from your fast food chain of choice.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:30 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Well, pulled. When I lived in Eastern North Carolina, our little section of a neighborhood had an annual yard sale and pig pickin'. Everyone who chipped in for the pig got a turn, shift, watching and caring for it in the 55 gallon drum smoker.

It was one of the best, tastiest, things that I've ever eaten in my life.
Growing up we had some guys who would use the 4th as the opportunity to do the whole pit thing the old fashioned way. Five or six whole hogs going over a big pit in the ground for about 24 hours. Start serving about noon on the 4th. People would drive for miles to attend, just by word of mouth. Held at the local ball field, followed by kids baseball games and fireworks. Wonderful to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Pretty much what most people we know do. If someone says BBQ that sets an expectation. Which brings me too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The OP is in the southwest. In large parts of the country, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to the event as a BBQ.
Ripe for miscommunication. Several of us Southern types were invited to a BBQ when we were out of state for a business trip. You know that scene from the movie Protocol with Goldie Hawn? Well, they said it was a barbecue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink