U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 AM

10,246 posts, read 8,369,481 times

Advertisements

I know fresh brewed coffee is better than instant. Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee instead of brewing a pot for two or more cups. Iíve found Nescafť to be among the better brands of instant coffee. What I like about instant is you can control the strength per cup by the amount of water and amount of instant coffee on the spoon. I can make it as strong or weak as I want for that one cup. The coffee at work isnít consistent. Some use more water than others and some people add more coffee grounds than the premeasured bag. In those instances having your own instant coffee is better than a cup of burnt mud or a cup of flavored water.

Iíve tried the Folgers instant and no matter how I measured it never came out tasting good. Iíve tried a local brand called Community Coffee and it was very good. Problem with Community Coffee instant is itís a powder instead of loos grains of instant coffee. If left too long on the shelf it became rock hard. Iíve used those single serve instant coffee packets and they work well but cost much more per cup than a jar of instant coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 06:34 AM

7,139 posts, read 3,540,263 times
Good instant coffee does not not exist.

Get a pour over single serving cone filter; Melitta and OXO make some. I bring a plastic one with me whenever I travel.
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffe...ateway&sr=8-10

Old 08-20-2019, 06:59 AM

2,009 posts, read 653,215 times
It’s been decades since I’ve had instant coffee but I seem to remember that Taster’s Choice freeze dried coffee was what we used most.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 AM

4,485 posts, read 7,366,853 times
From someone who's normally particular about coffee (burr grinder, pour-over, french press, moka pot, etc..), there IS good instant coffee. She had some when we were in Italy, provided by our Air BnB, and it was Folgers brand, but with a label never seen in the US. We carry a mexican branded instant in our camper-van that's the best we've found in the US (from a local IGA store).

For home use it's FAR cheaper, better, easier to make a cold-brew concentrate. Since I don't drink coffee, but my wife loves the stuff, this is the easiest way for her to have a good cup. Pour a little in a cup, add hot water, milk, sugar, whatever and Maybe a few seconds in the microwave if it's not hot enough for you.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:53 AM

830 posts, read 407,648 times
Tasters Choice Colombian is the brand of instant that comes closest to brewed coffee.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 AM

587 posts, read 651,638 times
Take a look through this thread from earlier this year for some ideas, too.
Best instant coffee(if there is such a thing)

Old 08-20-2019, 08:42 AM

12,337 posts, read 4,212,564 times
Nescafť Azera, Douwe Egberts Pure Gold, Carte Noire (Lavazza), Percol Fusion etc

Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,430,033 times
Taster's Choice Colombian. I've had Douwe Egbert's regular coffee, so would try that above recommendation if I found it. If you like espresso, Cafe Bustelo has an instant.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM

41,617 posts, read 3,173,375 times
Folgers coffee singles. They are bags like tea bags, & you just pour water over them, in a cup.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 832,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I know fresh brewed coffee is better than instant. Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee instead of brewing a pot for two or more cups. Iíve found Nescafť to be among the better brands of instant coffee. What I like about instant is you can control the strength per cup by the amount of water and amount of instant coffee on the spoon. I can make it as strong or weak as I want for that one cup. The coffee at work isnít consistent. Some use more water than others and some people add more coffee grounds than the premeasured bag. In those instances having your own instant coffee is better than a cup of burnt mud or a cup of flavored water.

Iíve tried the Folgers instant and no matter how I measured it never came out tasting good. Iíve tried a local brand called Community Coffee and it was very good. Problem with Community Coffee instant is itís a powder instead of loos grains of instant coffee. If left too long on the shelf it became rock hard. Iíve used those single serve instant coffee packets and they work well but cost much more per cup than a jar of instant coffee.
Uggh. I use one of these in my RV https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds and the #2 coffee filters. You sit it over the mug add the filter and coffee and slowly pour water in so that it doesn't overflow. Takes a few tries to figure out how much coffee for the cup you like but it is well worth it than having yukky instant. I boil the water in the microwave but you can use a kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or