U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 04:16 PM

7,013 posts, read 3,896,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
It is better than KFC, but it's still fast food. I eat at Popeye's only about 3-4 times a year, and enjoy it when I do. All things in moderation.

When I lived in New Orleans, there was seemingly a Popeye's on every corner. Almost like Starbucks now. That's hyperbole, of course, but there were a lot of them for sure.
Yes, all things in moderation. I eat at FF places only occasionally. They are great places, though, for affordable meals for a family with kids.

My brother takes his grandaughter to the local McDonald's for funsies. She meets up with other local kids there. After they all eat their happy meals or whatever, they play in the McDonald's playground for up to an hour. It's like an entertainment place to go. The kids love it, he says. I hate that it's FF, since that's not healthy and they go almost every week, but that's the world we live in, now, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 04:47 PM

5,542 posts, read 2,835,273 times
Everybody raves over Popeye's, so I tried it once. Way too spicy for me, so I won't be going back for their sandwich.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:58 PM

1,460 posts, read 984,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I was thinking of making this post. Had Chick fill A's chicken sandwich about five times in my life. Just tried Popeye's chicken sandwich about nine days ago. Popeye's is better than Chick Fill A's. I did the original version the first time, and tried the spicy version the second time. I've actually had Popeyes Chicken sandwich three times now, and all three times it was like heaven. The meat is so juicy and tender (and huge), with crispy coating, and the bun fits so perfectly, holding the meat within two crispy fresh perfectly placed pickles. The only downside if any for me was that the spicy wasn't spicy enough. Outside of that, it was the best chicken sandwich that I've ever eaten. And I'm not surprised that it would be Popeyes who made it. It's as close as can be to being a damn near perfect chicken sandwich. I'm such a fan of Popeyes!

You should be a spokesperson for them..lol.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:45 PM

36,951 posts, read 42,397,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well more FAT and CALORIES certainly does add to flavor. Unfortunately, it seems that's what people want.
I know. it's so terrible that people want flavorful food. terrible, I say.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM

7,190 posts, read 3,976,434 times
A new Popeyes just opened near me and I definitely could be a customer knowing I can get either the plain or spicy version and could get the mayo very light or on the side but you won't see me near the place until they put the onion rings back on the menu.

Can anyone explain why only a few small areas of the country serve such a popular item? Their fries are the nasty, batter coated variety so until I can get more than just a sandwich, I'm out.

Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

5,079 posts, read 1,571,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A new Popeyes just opened near me and I definitely could be a customer knowing I can get either the plain or spicy version and could get the mayo very light or on the side but you won't see me near the place until they put the onion rings back on the menu.

Can anyone explain why only a few small areas of the country serve such a popular item? Their fries are the nasty, batter coated variety so until I can get more than just a sandwich, I'm out.
This seems really odd to me. If you're unable to simply enjoy a sandwich, they have stuff like cole slaw, mashed potatoes, Cajun rice, etc.

https://www.popeyes.com/sides

Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

72,578 posts, read 84,348,248 times
Someone mentioned Popeyes, is not the same as other fast foods; well I have to disagree. I love Popeyes but fast food is still fast food. And as for Chick Fil A not being open on Sundays: that was clever but for me, this is just fine. I still have a slight problem with so many stores and yes, food places being open on Sundays. I do like to eat out on weekends, we all do, but I have no problem with establishments they choose to close.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

7,190 posts, read 3,976,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This seems really odd to me. If you're unable to simply enjoy a sandwich, they have stuff like cole slaw, mashed potatoes, Cajun rice, etc.

https://www.popeyes.com/sides
You wouldn't say that if you had the onion rings when they were universally available. But that still begs the question of why they are available in some locations but not in most.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

13 posts, read 1,993 times
I have tried Bojangles, KFC, CFA, Hardee's, Popeye's and Wendy's over the years. While all fried chicken is tasty I have found Popeye's to be superior to the rest. IMO they have perfected the deep frying process and consistently deliver crispy dry (not greasy coating). With tender and flavorful perfectly cooked chicken. CFA has no crunch. It tastes good but fried chicken needs that crunchy texture IMO. Bojangles is close but the chicken and tenders look too “perfect.” The tenders or strips from Popeye's are like snowflakes, no to are alike. They are perfectly cooked crispy flavor bombs. KFC is just too greasy. Wendy's is a burger joint and not even close. It is still good in a pinch. Hardee's tenders are hand coated and ok but still too greasy. In my older age I choose not to eat those types of foods anymore. On a rare occasion when I am hungry and near a Popeye's, I will get an order of the tenders.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

12,225 posts, read 4,172,569 times
Popeyes and CFA might have the best big chain sandwiches/burgers, however I am sure if you know where to go in most cities you could find better at independents or smaller chains.

The 13 Best Fried Chicken Sandwiches In NYC - Gothamist

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink