U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 03:04 PM

5,854 posts, read 3,130,701 times

Advertisements

Now I want one, darn it.

The stories about the lines remind me of Krispy Kreme.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:04 PM

3,456 posts, read 8,227,179 times
I'm a long-time Popeyes fan (and chicken fan in general), but haven't had the sandwich yet; I'll probably buy one when the craziness dies down in a few weeks. What I don't understand (and what I never understood about Chick-Fil-A's popularity) is why so many people get excited about chicken sandwiches, or for that matter chicken tenders, chicken nuggets, and even chicken (buffalo) wings. I mean, all of those food items can be enjoyable, but to me the only real chicken (and the best type of chicken) is bone-in chicken.

FWIW, among bone-in fried chicken places, my rankings among the fast food chains:

Popeyes spicy > Bojangles > Church's spicy >>> Pollo Campero > KFC extra crispy >>>>>>>>>>>> KFC original recipe (BTW, who the heck ever gets Popeyes mild or Church's mild???)

Popeyes, Bojangles, and Church's are all very good to me chicken-wise (probably because all have a Cajun-type flavoring), and Pollo Campero (which is based in Guatemala but has various U.S.-based locations and has Latino-flavored chicken) is reasonably good. Church's and Bojangles also have better biscuits than Popeyes, which says more about how good Church's and Bojangles' biscuits are than anything bad about Popeyes' biscuit; I also think KFC's biscuit is good but not at the level of Church's/Bojangles. I'd rank Church's honey-flavored biscuits a tiny margin ahead of Bojangles fluffy biscuits. Bojangles' dirty rice is probably the best side among the fast food fried chicken restaurants, though Popeyes' Cajun rice is also good. (I'm not a red beans and rice person, but I know many people love Popeyes' red beans and rice.) None of the places make particularly good French fries (well, actually Pollo Campero does and their yuca is also good); I think Church's are probably the best.

Having the above, Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, which was founded near Memphis in Mason, TN and now has about 30 locations around the country and is still expanding, is distinctly better than the Popeyes/Bojangles/Church's trio for fried chicken. Also, Nando's has great grilled chicken (probably like their grilled chicken better than Popeyes' fried chicken, which is saying something), and is my favorite grilled chicken restaurant.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM

316 posts, read 236,104 times
The line was so long it shut down a local Popeye's.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/hende...cf2abbba5.html

HENDERSON (FOX5) -- A Popeyes in Henderson closed its doors Sunday afternoon when nearby businesses complained about the traffic.

"Henderson is telling us that we're going to be fined a lot of money if we don't close down,” Popeyes regional manager Bill Vickers said. “We need to have security out here. The neighbors, Wendy's, are complaining about the disturbance, cars lining all the way up through their properties. So we're going to have to shut down."

Dozens of cars lined up to try the recently introduced chicken sandwich which has been making waves on social media.

"It's insane. This Popeyes craze has America going crazy," one customer said.

And here's the Youtube link. Fist fighting over chicken sandwiches

https://youtu.be/o7vgOAhBiWw

Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 815,545 times
This reminds me of the Krispy Kreme craze years ago, people camping out overnight, standing in line for hours and blocking traffic to surrounding businesses.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 PM

1,826 posts, read 535,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They will never beat Chik-Fil-A on customer service and a clean, friendly restaurant, but competition in the marketplace is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Agree: they are to Chicken like INandOut restaurants are to hamburgers in my book.

Yes agree here on both. I seldom go to Popeyes as honestly they never pop into my head and I have two at least around my work and home each way. The few times I have been there I find the prices quite high for what you get. Also they do have a following though as always a line outside and inside, but frankly I’m beginning to think that’s due to poor customer service and lack of prep and speed. The ones I’ve been to have been dirty, tables not cleaned or bussed even during off peak hours and the employees look like they’re half asleep and on drugs. Each time I was in there they were out of potatoes or certain chicken pieces and you had to wait extra long to get your order.

As for the new sandwich it’ll probably be ages before I get to try one.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:00 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,551,997 times
I live in an area that has CFA, Popeye's, Zaxbys and Bojangles. The only one of them that ever has a line in the drive thru or a full parking lot are the CFAs and it's usually a double line with multiple employees taking orders directly from the waiting cars. So now I am curious to drive by Popeye's and see if this place that looks deserted most of the time suddenly has crazy lines.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM

13,299 posts, read 6,835,700 times
I'll try it. Even if its really good, it won't replace Chick fil a for me if the price (and service) isn't competitive. One reason why I don't frequent Popeyes now is that they tend to be more expensive than their competition.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:20 AM

16,900 posts, read 27,258,630 times
What's it called? I guess that it hasn't hit Canada yet, but I'm curious. In Canadaland, Popeye's offers these sandwiches (see link), but I don't know if any of them are new. I've only been to Popeye's in the U.S.; the last time was about 4 years ago. I'd like to know what you're all (y'all are ) talking about I can't find the name of it -- besides "new" -- in the article.

https://popeyeschicken.ca/menu/sandwiches-and-wraps/

ETA: Nevah mind. I looked on the U.S. website. There's only one sandwich and it's not like any of the ones we have here.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:31 PM

1,403 posts, read 799,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
I forgot about Zaxby's. I agree to me their chicken is 2nd best just after Popeye's.
Finally some Zaxby's love here! Chick-Fil-A has been way overrated for way too long!

But yeah, once the lines die down I'll try the Popeyes sandwich. I rarely eat fast food but I'd give it a try.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:41 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,010,766 times
I stopped by Popeye's yesterday on my way to Winco.
Thought I'd finally try the sandwich....there was abt 5 or 6 people ahead of me, so while I waited I happened to look at one of the cash registers, and there they had a sign saying they were OUT of chicken sandwiches!

So I turned and walked out....disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink