U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 14,917,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Apple season also means ... real apple cider doughnuts. I love them!
Where do you find apple cider doughnuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 07:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 14,917,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Made my first apple crisp of the season the other day!! Pretty much non-stop apple crisp the rest of the fall. I feel sorry for people who can only get Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, and Granny Smith at their stores. They all taste like cardboard.
In the PNW, we have access to many varieties of apples.

I hate summer ending, but I love apple season.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:47 PM

39,033 posts, read 56,911,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I visited Chuck’s Produce (a West Coast grocer) yesterday, and asked a produce guy if they had any new crop apples, and they did! I took home a few ginger golds, which the guy told me were like Yellow Delicious.

They aren’t really like YD, but they have a mellow sweet lime flavor, to my taste.

There should be more new crop apples coming in in about 2 more weeks. I love eating the new apples that enter our markets here every fall. I am always on the lookout for old fashioned varieties, and others I have not tried. I mix them up when I make applesauce.

We also have new crop Bartletts. I will buy some of those next week.

What apple and/or pear varieties are you looking forward to eating this fall?
McIntosh apples are my favorite and I can't wait to eat them again. Unfortunately, they have a very short season and are absent from our stores most of the year. I think, they are in our stores just 2-3 months of a year.
A comice pear is a delicacy to me, but they are very rare here. Sometimes I order them online, pretty expensive, though.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:22 PM

8,290 posts, read 8,797,619 times
McIntosh apples are readily available during the fall and winter months in NY. I am not a fan. For baking and making apple sauce, I prefer Cortland. I will have to try snapdragon. Right now, the farmer's markets and farms have McIntosh and Fuji. Gala should be available soon.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:24 PM

1,691 posts, read 614,704 times
Quote:
Oh, me too.

I like Pink Ladies too. Iíve only ever found Newtown Pippins once before, I think. Are they cooking apples?
Last summer at the local health food store, they had those newtown pippins. They were tart and tasty. I ate them raw.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:51 AM

609 posts, read 660,415 times
Quote:

Usually at apple orchards when we go to pick. Some grocery stores sell them, too, but (to me) they don't taste NEARLY as good - almost like they use some sort of "apple essence" or something, instead of actual cider.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:37 AM

643 posts, read 214,179 times
We have an apple tree in our yard and have for the 20 years we have lived here. Still have no idea what kind of apples they are, but they are not very sweet, more tart. I've made apple pie, apple crisp, stir frys with apples in them, apple compote for pancakes, apple juice in blender, apple sauce, apple muffins, apple in soups like pumpkin, as is, in crockpot hot cereals, and the list goes on. We get anywhere from 5 to 14 bags of apples out of that tree, and still have some leftover in places we can't reach. What is leftover goes to the birds, deer, and other wildlife, and some gets mulched into the yard which keeps our yard very healthy. We give backs to homeless shelters and soup kitchens, churches, family, neighbors, friends and coworkers, and keep a few bags for ourselves. I love Fall time!

Old 09-01-2019, 09:58 AM

1,223 posts, read 343,748 times
I tried a new one from the grocery store the other day, called Pazazz, because they were on sale. I actually sort of liked them... a bit tart, but quite juicy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Apple season also means ... real apple cider doughnuts. I love them!
And cider! Though I'm now disappointed and disillusioned by the apple-cider racket, as several years ago a coworker came in on Monday: "We went to the cider mill over the weekend. The apples weren't in, but the cider was!" Waaaaait. My understanding was that they harvested the apples and then made cider with them, hence why you had to wait until cider season to buy it. You mean to tell me they bring the cider in from elsewhere or something for marketing purposes??

Quote:
In my area, cider mills, usually, though often grocery stores will start carrying them, too (and a good thing, because the cider mills are always packed. I tried to go to one once... no parking whatsoever-- we're talking, the sides of the road were packed, the lawn was packed, I can only imagine the crowds inside. I gave up and went home and haven't tried since; I'm sure it's even worse now).

Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 AM

9,029 posts, read 11,037,708 times
I want to make an apple walnut quick bread when it starts to cool down. I'll have to check around for the best recipe.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:24 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,092,359 times
This is fun.

Tuned to Braeburn, but lists all varieties.

How could I forget Ruby Frost? Not available until winter, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or