U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:18 AM

42,439 posts, read 3,235,263 times

Advertisements

When I used to make apple butter for Christmas gifts, I used Roma apples. Now we like Fuji or Gala for eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 03:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 1,719,431 times
"What apple and/or pear varieties are you looking forward to eating this fall?"
Virginia Beauty.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:36 PM

4,926 posts, read 4,161,256 times
Honeycrisp.

I did taste a new variety called First Kiss at the MN State Fair this past week. It was very good as well - much like Honeycrisp.

I will fit a bit of a GOOD raw apple into my keto way of eating, and by good, I mean only Honeycrisp or First Kiss!

Old 09-01-2019, 08:32 PM

6,502 posts, read 3,712,896 times
I'm anxious to try First Kiss. Other than that we like the U of M's Zestar and Honeycrisp.

Out of state ones - Gala, Pink Lady and Braeburn are my favorite.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:22 PM

37,000 posts, read 42,623,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Usually at apple orchards when we go to pick. Some grocery stores sell them, too, but (to me) they don't taste NEARLY as good - almost like they use some sort of "apple essence" or something, instead of actual cider.
Yes, the best apple cider doughnuts come from the orchards and cider mills. I generally won't touch cake doughnuts, but cider doughnuts are a glaring exception.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:28 PM

37,000 posts, read 42,623,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I tried a new one from the grocery store the other day, called Pazazz, because they were on sale. I actually sort of liked them... a bit tart, but quite juicy.

And cider! Though I'm now disappointed and disillusioned by the apple-cider racket, as several years ago a coworker came in on Monday: "We went to the cider mill over the weekend. The apples weren't in, but the cider was!" Waaaaait. My understanding was that they harvested the apples and then made cider with them, hence why you had to wait until cider season to buy it. You mean to tell me they bring the cider in from elsewhere or something for marketing purposes??
They may have frozen cider from the previous season.

We go to a U-pick orchard and berry farm that does different produce year round. The cider doughnuts are super popular, so they serve them during berry picking season in spring and summer, as well. They use reserved and frozen cider from last season's pressing.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,171,599 times
Apple cider is not as good as it once was, because now it generally has to be pasteurized to be sold commercially. If you can find someone who makes it the old-fashioned way and sells/gives it fresh, grab it!!

We have some nice apple trees in the backyard here but the weeds under them are chin high (I rent, not own). Not sure if I want to risk ticks to get some apples.

My previous home was a 200 year old farm with apple trees on it. My favorite was one called Yellow Transparent. They were almost an ivory color, very pale yellow, and made THE best applesauce. They did not keep at all, you had to pick them and use them. The tree was quite tall with most of the apples out of reach, so I cut down a maple sapling and poked it up into the tree to shake down the fruit. Sadly, the last time I drove by the old place, beavers had cut it down.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:15 AM

14,559 posts, read 7,823,396 times
It's Apple season. iPhone 11 launch date is September 10th.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:58 AM

7,470 posts, read 10,930,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Made my first apple crisp of the season the other day!! Pretty much non-stop apple crisp the rest of the fall. I feel sorry for people who can only get Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, and Granny Smith at their stores. They all taste like cardboard.
So, what's your favorite?
Nevermind......I didn't read your next post, but see that now....Yellow Transplant.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:00 PM

7,470 posts, read 10,930,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes, the best apple cider doughnuts come from the orchards and cider mills. I generally won't touch cake doughnuts, but cider doughnuts are a glaring exception.
Here in Delaware, apple cider doughnuts are rolling off the shelves, still warm from the oven. Local orchard is a short bike ride from us. It's like having hundreds of acres of apple/peach orchards in our back yard, with no work! https://www.fiferorchards.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or