U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:02 PM

12,040 posts, read 20,587,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Got to use one in a recent vacation in the hotel room. I think the flavor coffee is better but that may be a factor of it being more towards espresso. Making a large cup and three some creamer in there it’s basically like any other coffee at that point. Did notice the machine was much louder than the keurig I’ve used

Unrelated but I hate the sight of a trashcan full of those damn Pods. Seems like it must be environmentally worse than a regular coffee pot.
I used to find large mail pouches of used nespresso pods waiting for the post office to pick them up and send them back to Nespresso, which makes me think they recycle.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:09 PM

3,915 posts, read 3,582,217 times
So, she dropped it off tonight.
Goodness! This thing is a car payment!! She left the receipt just in case.
There's a lot of reading instructions.
We made 2 servings. It's a lot of cleaning and work.
She also gave me 2 bags to send back to recycling.
I'm grateful for the generous gift don't get me wrong...
But I bought a small espresso machine back in the early 2000's , i still use it from time to time and it tastes just the same!.
It will take some time to get used to once I get the ratio right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 PM

3,915 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is how I feel about my Nespresso. It makes great espresso for people who do not like espresso. I prefer using my Bialetti mocha pot for espresso.
Yes yes yes!!! My preferred method!!

Old 09-03-2019, 05:03 AM

4,257 posts, read 1,832,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You also have to order the pods to be shipped or buy them only at certain retailers.
If “certain retailers” means Target, then yes. Target sells pods from Peet’s, their own line, and Starbucks now and I think a few other stores sell the pods as well. The mailing is for recycling.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:11 AM

13,283 posts, read 9,001,191 times
You can buy reusable metal pods for Nespressos. I have one it makes good espresso shots if you have espresso.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:26 AM

6,202 posts, read 3,023,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is how I feel about my Nespresso. It makes great espresso for people who do not like espresso. I prefer using my Bialetti mocha pot for espresso.
I'm not sure this is true, they are quite popular in European countries where most people prefer espressos. You see Nespresso stores in the malls, the supermarkets have shelves full of different brands of cups compatible with Nespresso, etc. in countries where the default when ordering a coffee in a cafe is an espresso and very few people drink drip coffee on a regular basis.

I'd wager people have them because they are easy/convenient way to have enjoy espresso at home, not some assumption they don't actually like espressos because anyone who factors in convenience must not actually like the product they are trying to attain. I know folks who pan fry steaks on cast-iron griddle pans at home because they don't want the hassle of owning a grill, and *gasp* they do actually like steaks dry aged steaks prepared at restaurants as well.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,725,317 times
As a former resident of Italy and an avid espresso drinker, I love my Nepresso. We have a more expensive machine, but it isn't worth the effort to buy the beans and grind to the proper size (yes it matters, depending on humidity etc) but we are on our third Nepresso. One died, currently have one at home, one at work.

After a recent trip to Italy, we stopped at local store (they are every where and packed) and stocked up on compatible pods, came to about .50 a pod, compared to .79 to order from Nepresso. Of course they didn't last long. I've done the reusable pods, not worth the effort and if I'm going to grind my own, I might as well dig out my big machine.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:35 PM

13,496 posts, read 22,119,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
As a former resident of Italy and an avid espresso drinker, I love my Nepresso. We have a more expensive machine, but it isn't worth the effort to buy the beans and grind to the proper size (yes it matters, depending on humidity etc) but we are on our third Nepresso. One died, currently have one at home, one at work.

After a recent trip to Italy, we stopped at local store (they are every where and packed) and stocked up on compatible pods, came to about .50 a pod, compared to .79 to order from Nepresso. Of course they didn't last long. I've done the reusable pods, not worth the effort and if I'm going to grind my own, I might as well dig out my big machine.
Glad to read this. I've had my Nespresso VertuoLine machine for five years and it is still giving me the same high quality coffee with the taste I like today as when I brewed the first cup. In comparison, I had to replace my Keurig machines after 18 months-2 years average life span when they just decided to stop working (and the coffee tasted worse than when the machine was new). After replacing three-four Keurigs, I upgraded to the Nespresso back in 2014.

My sister, the espresso queen, who owns a $1000 Gaggia professional espresso machine, visited and I offered her a cup of Diavolitto - she couldn't believe how it tasted, coming out of a machine like mine compared to the beast on her own kitchen counter.

I don't mind buying the capsules - I'd rather pay a little more for the better quality and taste, and the convenience. There is always a wide variety of types and flavors, and limited edition/holiday flavors too. My go-to is Stormio, but I always stock at least ten different varieties. And I do recycle, each capsule; when a sack fills up I just seal it and drop it off at the mailbox place I ship packages from. I prefer the least amount of hassle with my lifestyle, and Nespresso works best for my household.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM

6,202 posts, read 3,023,663 times
If you're not caught up on brand you can order them from Amazon for less than 0.50 per pod if large quantities.

https://www.amazon.com/Gran-Caffè-Ga.../dp/B078CQZD1C

https://www.amazon.com/Llave-Intensi...dp/B07KPVW5Q9/

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Ne.../dp/B07MFVG5W8

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Ca.../dp/B00TW72M94

https://www.amazon.com/Gran-Caffè-Ga.../dp/B07LBDV7JM

etc.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

8,288 posts, read 12,045,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We just returned from a home exchange that had a Nespresso. They stayed in our house that has a Keurig.

Following the exchange, her thank you note specifically mentioned that she would be buying a keurig when they returned home.

Says it all.
No it doesn't; that's simply one person's opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink