U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 AM

72,709 posts, read 84,638,341 times

Advertisements

Eating everything on your plate and eating too much junk food are 2 very different things. We did tell our kids they had to try everything and they either ate what I served or they starved. Our daughter on the other had didn't force food on either of her girls. Both she and her hubby have fought their weight all their lives and they didn't want their girls to do the same. It has worked pretty well for them. Both girls, in their 30s work out and though not thin, are certainly in good shape and are not overweight a bit, nor are their kids. As for the story, just knowing where it came from makes me know it is meant for shock affects. No one goes blind from eating junk food. Most of us don't buy that for a second!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 11:00 AM

72,709 posts, read 84,638,341 times
I love my veggies: other than eggplant I cant think of one I don't either like or love. We have at least one each night, sometimes 2 or more. I was raised with eating them daily. I will even have them for lunch and I eat them year around. I have a friend in VA in the 80s that always said: she would always think of me as the lady who served fresh veggies every meal, year around. Even in the winter fresh veggies can be found and at a reasonable price if you look hard enough.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:08 PM

15,376 posts, read 31,518,639 times
I am now 70 y.o., and as a child a very picky eater. I am also one who is "texture sensitive." I really hate anything slimy or gelatinous, and I hate food that has been cut into little cubes, but mostly vegetables like carrots. I consider myself a mostly normal person, but still have aversions to the aforementioned textures. I also detest the texture of the whites of boiled eggs, or anything that seems "squidgy."

Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 PM

7,195 posts, read 3,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I can remember during some teen years where it SEEMED like I may have gone for days at a time without eating a single green vegetable, or anything resembling a salad item. I never got weak or ill though.

I wouldn't dream of doing this today.

Is this possible? Does anyone else remember ever doing this?
You call "days" a long time? In that case, I have lived in a perpetual "going a long time" not eating veggies. I have to force myself to eat veggies once or twice a week, and sometimes I don't even do that.

I was better, when I ate frozen dinners, because the veggie is there.

(Note: I don't count white potatoes, corn, and starches as veggies. But I rarely eat those, either. And I don't count veggies loaded up with butter, sausage, ham, and fats as "veggies.")

I DO eat a LOT of fruit. Every day. Often more than once a day. I could almost...almost...live on fruit alone.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:51 PM

5,193 posts, read 3,334,841 times
Quote:
I can remember during some teen years where it SEEMED like I may have gone for days at a time without eating a single green vegetable, or anything resembling a salad item. I never got weak or ill though.

I think I went about 5-7 months. I was working nights and then found a nice church and one weekend we had a veggie stew after services.. Good grief, they had thrown darn near every type in. I went through 4 bowls of it....

After that I always have veggies with meals...always.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:27 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,087,955 times
Quote:

Potato chips are a vegetable.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:31 PM

14,117 posts, read 6,757,878 times
When I was teenager and college years, between McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and hamburgers, I got sick. Since then never again.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM

70 posts, read 13,139 times
I love vegetables (minus a select few) now fruit is different. I have to force myself to eat that a lot of the time! I have to eat foods with B-12 as I have anemia again.

I rarely eat fast food, but when I do its Grilled like at El Pollo Loco. (My Mom is in her 80's, if I can get her to eat then its where we will go sometimes!)

Most fast food and the like I avoid, healthier to eat my own well seasoned food. Have Mexican once a month or so.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM

10,872 posts, read 12,951,884 times
Background:

When I was a teenager I remember seeing a doctor on TV who said that a regular hamburger had "more than enough" daily vitamins and nutrients. I was like YES when I heard that. It sounded good to me. But I also ate a lot of McDonald's back then (without vegetables). I practically lived on it for a while. It seemed like months, and it was just one meal a day. I don't think I even took nutrition seriously until maybe my early 20's. I did eat vegetables on some kind of semi regular basis before then, but I didn't make a point of doing so.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:41 PM

38,979 posts, read 56,831,852 times
As far as I can remember, I am almost sure that I didn't have a day without at least some fruit AND veggies.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or