U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM

13,504 posts, read 22,144,337 times

Advertisements

So we recently returned from a cruise where they served a mushroom cappuccino that was out of this world. Even my pickier child was raving about it and they want to prepare it at home.

So the recipe calls for a few drops of truffle oil - but it doesn't specify black or white. I don't know which one to buy, so I'm hoping those who've had experience in cooking with these ingredients can chime in? I don't want to invest $30 in a bottle of something that isn't even compatible with the dish I want to prepare.

Thanks in advance to you truffle afficionados!

Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 PM

566 posts, read 117,573 times
A lot of truffle oils are nothing more than chemicals mixed together to create the taste. You need to find one from a reputable company that uses actual truffles to make the oil. I make ours from end bits of truffles when we get them, oil and butter, and then freeze. DH usually buys 1 or 2 or 3 depending on size and $ for my birthday or Valentine's Day or our anniversary. We can get them locally from a yacht supply place.

White truffles are more expensive and generally considered superior quality to black.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 AM

So white it is. I'm buying a bottle that purports to be real truffle and 100% organic.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,432,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
White truffles are more expensive and generally considered superior quality to black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So white it is. I'm buying a bottle that purports to be real truffle and 100% organic.
See what I mean?

Old 09-08-2019, 04:15 AM

1,367 posts, read 349,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
See what I mean?
No, I don't see what you mean?????

Old 09-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
No, I don't see what you mean?????
His earlier reply was deleted. I guess you had to be there, eh?

We made the mushroom cappuccino last night and it turned out great, although different than the one in the restaurant on the cruise ship. There's was a bid darker and had a deeper mushroom flavor, so I think I'll add shiitakes next time I make this. The thinly sliced toast/crouton really enhanced the experience.

Regarding the truffle oil - I see little dark bits of sediment inside. Is that supposed to be there? According to the bottle, it expires in June 2020.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:30 AM

566 posts, read 117,573 times
If it's made with real truffles, the sediment is probably truffle bits. Hard to tell without seeing it.

What mushrooms did you use? I would probably use criminis and dried (reconstituted) porcinis since fresh are hard to come by, and use the strained soaking liquid as part of the liquid for the soup.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
His earlier reply was deleted. I guess you had to be there, eh?

We made the mushroom cappuccino last night and it turned out great, although different than the one in the restaurant on the cruise ship. There's was a bid darker and had a deeper mushroom flavor, so I think I'll add shiitakes next time I make this. The thinly sliced toast/crouton really enhanced the experience.

Regarding the truffle oil - I see little dark bits of sediment inside. Is that supposed to be there? According to the bottle, it expires in June 2020.
Have you ever tried grinding dried porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder and using some of it in a mushroom dish? It adds a wonderful umami, mushroom flavor.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Have you ever tried grinding dried porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder and using some of it in a mushroom dish? It adds a wonderful umami, mushroom flavor.
I didn't use porcini mushrooms, will try to get some for next time. We used cremini, button, and oyster. The oyster mushrooms I bought look nothing like the oyster mushrooms they had on the ship, which were large, brown and ruffled. Mine were pale, small, and looked like little half-moons.

Do I need to go to a specialty store for porcini mushrooms? Should I order on Amazon?

Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't use porcini mushrooms, will try to get some for next time. We used cremini, button, and oyster. The oyster mushrooms I bought look nothing like the oyster mushrooms they had on the ship, which were large, brown and ruffled. Mine were pale, small, and looked like little half-moons.

Do I need to go to a specialty store for porcini mushrooms? Should I order on Amazon?
Our local grocery has dried porcini mushrooms. For fresh porcini (cepes), we have to order on line. Our go to is Oregon Mushrooms, never been disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or