Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:17 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

And do you tenderize it before? If so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.co...or-stir-frying

Pick cuts already tender. I used to make a great dish called pepper steak Caballero, something like that. Delicious. I used sirloin cut into strips.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
very good question...… most of the stir fry (beef) we package in the stores are from leaner cuts -from rounds...for two reasons..... it's lean ...and that's what most women are looking for…...but lean and tender don't usually go together...…….and it is cheaper...

if I displayed stir fry tenderloin...it doesn't sell....but If I display tenderloin tips it does sell for close to the same price as tenderloin steak..

stir-fry itself isn't universal..... some stores will slice almost tiny cubes of beef ….while others will go into strips...

I display thin strips......and in my stores I like using sirloin - specifically the cap off the top butt sirloin.....(often called the Coulotte or picanha muscle)

my competitors get 5.99lb-6.99lb I will retail for 4.99lb if I can - they use round....I use sirloin..

however.....at times I will also slice tenderized steak-cube steak into strips and call it stir-fry......and this is something anyone can do...if you see cube steak on sale 3,99-4.99lb you can use this- chill it in the freezer for a half hour- then slice thin into strips......just freeze what you don't use in ziplocs…

overall you can pretty much use anything into stir fry - had more than a few customers ask if we could "stir-fry" a rib eye on sale....

again....you can look for top butt sirloins on sale choice grade for 3-4.99lb) - if you want very lean....use the cube steaks...or even top round/round tip/eye round....chill and slice thinly

pork stir fry is under-rated you can use chops to cutlets....and I have a few ladies that will ask to have pork butts on sale diced into stir fry …..this will have some fat for flavor..

chicken stir fry - use boneless breasts on sale (1.69-1.99lb) chill in freezer and slice thinly..you can use boneless chicken thighs ...usually little bit more fat on the thighs.....but good flavor slice into strips

you can easily marinade the stir fry and the veggies that go along with it...….I will make batches...and then freeze...…. its handy to have in the freezer ready to go- thaw and microwave and then fry up in minutes

my favs for stir fry beef is a sweet bourbon …...a garlic teriyaki....and a Chinese (red sauce) for pork

if you look at cost per serving..... with the meat and veggies ... stir-fry's are very favorable ...very nutritious. too ..

Old 09-06-2019, 05:17 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Tenderloin, which is also used for tataki, tartar and carpaccio. We might velvet the beef for stir fry.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:33 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Almost any cut will do if it’s sliced thin and across the grain. I would not use mechanically tenderized meats in a stir fry because these are often made from odd pieces and scraps “woven” together in the machine. If you have a super-tough piece, tenderize it yourself with a mallet before slicing.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Sometimes sirloin, sometimes chuck eye. My mother used to use flank steak, way back when that was a cheap cut. All have good flavor, but obviously the sirloin is most tender. I have tried it with top round, which I didn’t think had as much flavor.

Chinese and Mexican restaurants sometimes use skirt or flap steak for stir-fried dishes, sometimes sirloin or even tenderloin in cubes.

I often lightly coat strips or cubes with dry cornstarch OR a thin paste of cornstarch with water and cooking sherry. Sear the meat and the coating seals in the juices.

For a tough cut of beef, I would marinate first, pat off any excess marinade, then coat it.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I use just about any cut of beef or pork, and tenderize using a trick that a learned from a TV chef that passed away back in the 1980s: Baking Powder

I always marinate the meat for stir-fry anyway, and adding about a tablespoon of baking powder per pound to the marinate will tenderize it (from the baking soda in it). I will marinate for at least 1/2 hour, but mostly an hour. You could do the same with baking soda, but it will take less of it, and it adds saltiness which can become too much when mixed with soy sauce.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I use just about any cut of beef or pork, and tenderize using a trick that a learned from a TV chef that passed away back in the 1980s: Baking Powder
No, just no.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:52 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
We prefer sirloin for if using beef but we like shrimp, chicken or pork stir-fry better.

Oddly, I recently saw that baking powder tip on a recipe website. I thought it must be a misprint.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
very good question...… most of the stir fry (beef) we package in the stores are from leaner cuts -from rounds...for two reasons..... it's lean ...and that's what most women are looking for…...but lean and tender don't usually go together...…….and it is cheaper...

if I displayed stir fry tenderloin...it doesn't sell....but If I display tenderloin tips it does sell for close to the same price as tenderloin steak..

stir-fry itself isn't universal..... some stores will slice almost tiny cubes of beef ….while others will go into strips...

I display thin strips......and in my stores I like using sirloin - specifically the cap off the top butt sirloin.....(often called the Coulotte or picanha muscle)

my competitors get 5.99lb-6.99lb I will retail for 4.99lb if I can - they use round....I use sirloin..

however.....at times I will also slice tenderized steak-cube steak into strips and call it stir-fry......and this is something anyone can do...if you see cube steak on sale 3,99-4.99lb you can use this- chill it in the freezer for a half hour- then slice thin into strips......just freeze what you don't use in ziplocs…

overall you can pretty much use anything into stir fry - had more than a few customers ask if we could "stir-fry" a rib eye on sale....

again....you can look for top butt sirloins on sale choice grade for 3-4.99lb) - if you want very lean....use the cube steaks...or even top round/round tip/eye round....chill and slice thinly

pork stir fry is under-rated you can use chops to cutlets....and I have a few ladies that will ask to have pork butts on sale diced into stir fry …..this will have some fat for flavor..

chicken stir fry - use boneless breasts on sale (1.69-1.99lb) chill in freezer and slice thinly..you can use boneless chicken thighs ...usually little bit more fat on the thighs.....but good flavor slice into strips

you can easily marinade the stir fry and the veggies that go along with it...….I will make batches...and then freeze...…. its handy to have in the freezer ready to go- thaw and microwave and then fry up in minutes

my favs for stir fry beef is a sweet bourbon …...a garlic teriyaki....and a Chinese (red sauce) for pork

if you look at cost per serving..... with the meat and veggies ... stir-fry's are very favorable ...very nutritious. too ..
Thanks a lot, I have often wondered what type of steak to use. Now i know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink