U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 05:50 AM

4,790 posts, read 1,854,459 times

Advertisements

Freezing and cooking, for many vegetables, brings about the same molecular change. So just freeze them instead.

I put fresh broccoli., brussels sprouts, bell peppers, okra, straight in the freezer. Then, just toss it in boiling water until it is thawed and heated through, a minute or so. It comes out fully cooked. No need to blanch it before freezing.

Anybody else ever do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 06:10 AM

1,349 posts, read 344,814 times
We put the cabbage and collards in the freezer over night a the defrost them, when making cabbage or collard rolls. We use up other veges quickly so the go in the fridge, except for potatoes, onions and garlic which are stored in a hanging, open air basket. Avocados, plantains and tomatoes go in the basket if not ripe.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:36 AM

3,233 posts, read 2,051,842 times
I do blanch mine first, especially green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Then I dip them in an ice bath to stop cooking, dry them on paper towels, and place on baking sheets lined with parchment. Off to the freezer for an hour. Then take out, bag up in sturdy 1 gallon ziplocs. Keeps the color and texture.

Like this method instead of buying the ones in supermarkets because they are no longer selling me "broccoli florets."
I want a floret, not half of a fibrous stem. I also don't want green beans with missed tips and strings.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:54 AM

1,349 posts, read 344,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I do blanch mine first, especially green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Then I dip them in an ice bath to stop cooking, dry them on paper towels, and place on baking sheets lined with parchment. Off to the freezer for an hour. Then take out, bag up in sturdy 1 gallon ziplocs. Keeps the color and texture.

Like this method instead of buying the ones in supermarkets because they are no longer selling me "broccoli florets."
I want a floret, not half of a fibrous stem. I also don't want green beans with missed tips and strings.
Have you never peeled the stems? I find them quite tender.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 AM

11,169 posts, read 17,710,923 times
I’ve always loved (peeled) broccoli stalks since I was a child stealing “waste” off my mother’s cutting board. It is the sweetest part of the vegetable and has a pleasing juicy texture when cooked right. My lament is all they sell in the market is broccoli with the best part cut off.

Fresh cooked vegetables have a better taste and texture than frozen, so I wouldn’t freeze on purpose in lieu of cooking.

Last edited by Debsi; 09-06-2019 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 07:42 AM

861 posts, read 415,366 times
Freezing in a typical home setup is a slow process and that makes for big ice crystals. Big crystals damage the food as they grow and suck water out of tissues. No way is that comparable to steamed or sautéed vegetables.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:59 AM

22,555 posts, read 14,822,640 times
Honestly, I buy mostly fresh. I keep a few commercially frozen bags of a few things on hand. But I prefer fresh, particularly with broccoli. And as I get ever older the more I taste the Sulphur in broccoli and Brussels sprouts. I am enjoying them less all the time.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 AM

41,786 posts, read 3,188,100 times
I love fresh veg, & if I want them frozen, I will buy them already frozen. I have been buying broccoli that has lots of chopped up stalks in it, we love it. It is marketed as "broccoli cuts" instead of florets, which do cost more. However, I am happy it is about half stem & half floret.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 PM

9,849 posts, read 19,087,493 times
Usually we save the freezer space for things like bananas. Frozen bananas are perfect for summer smoothies and when a stalk of bananas on the tree gets ripe there's all of a sudden a LOT of bananas around. Same with avocados, but they don't freeze well, even as guacamole.

Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

39,115 posts, read 15,378,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Freezing in a typical home setup is a slow process and that makes for big ice crystals. Big crystals damage the food as they grow and suck water out of tissues. No way is that comparable to steamed or sautéed vegetables.
That's been my experience. Except for freezing cabbage to make cabbage rolls, or fresh corn, roasted peppers and roasted tomatoes when we have an abundance, I don't freeze vegetables.

If I want frozen peas, for $3 I can get a bag full and for a lot less work.

I do freeze leftover meat such as smoked brisket, etc. to thaw and serve later with a salad. Also freeze homemade chicken stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or