U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,016,261 times

Advertisements

To save on time and prep, going to start taking short cuts. One is buying frozen prepared meals. We are picky and want it to taste as homemade and fresh as possible, but are totally new to this.

We do eat Arizona frozen burritos, El Monterey, taquitos; you can't go wrong when you doctor it with hot sauce and sour cream, but looking for some good home-made savory tasting frozen meals/TV dinners.

Thinking about the frozen chicken kiev my great grandma had in the 80s, (can't remember the brand) that were really good, with the butter and herbs and crispy skin.

Any recommendations on some other frozen meals/brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

38,903 posts, read 56,732,263 times
The ones you cook at home from scratch, portion and freeze

Everytime you cook at home, just make few more portions and freeze. After few times you will have a nice variety of healthy, homemade meals.
Cooking few more portions of whatever you cook isn't really much more time consuming.

Assuming that you cook at home at least few times a month, no?...

If you insist on store bought, processed frozen meals, here are some recommendations:
https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/hea...frozen-dinners
https://greatist.com/eat/healthy-frozen-meals
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 1,661,606 times
"Any recommendations on some other frozen meals/brands?"

brand: Stouffer's. best bang for the buck.
meals: when we order take-out pizza, we buy much more than we will eat that day and freeze the rest. better than all the frozen pizzas.

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

849 posts, read 753,842 times
I like the Lean Cuisine Marketplace line. They have really stepped up their game from a few years ago when their dishes were hardly filling and tasted like cardboard.

My favorite is the Sweet and Spicy Korean Beef. It’s made with prime beef, brown rice, zucchini and squash. It’s so good. I get them for lunch and they keep me satisfied until dinner time.

If you’re looking for meals for two, or family sized they may be called, my son likes Stouffer’s and Marie Callendar’s.

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

16,807 posts, read 27,064,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

Thinking about the frozen chicken kiev my great grandma had in the 80s, (can't remember the brand) that were really good, with the butter and herbs and crispy skin.

Barber? Products | Stuffed Chicken Breast | Barber Foods

I liked the broccoli and cheese one.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

41,887 posts, read 3,191,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
To save on time and prep, going to start taking short cuts. One is buying frozen prepared meals. We are picky and want it to taste as homemade and fresh as possible, but are totally new to this.

We do eat Arizona frozen burritos, El Monterey, taquitos; you can't go wrong when you doctor it with hot sauce and sour cream, but looking for some good home-made savory tasting frozen meals/TV dinners.

Any recommendations on some other frozen meals/brands?
I think Barber Foods still makes & sells those Kievs. Now I will have to get some this week

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

38,903 posts, read 56,732,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I like the Lean Cuisine Marketplace line. They have really stepped up their game from a few years ago when their dishes were hardly filling and tasted like cardboard.
Perhaps they taste better but the portions are very small compared to normal portions you would eat at home or restaurants. Most of them weight 8-9 oz and provide less than 300 cal which is just not enough food for a meal.
A 4-ounce meat, 2 spoons of gravy, half cup of starch, and a quarter cup of vegetable is definitely not going to make anyone full. This can lead to a lowered metabolic rate or snacking that's not mindful.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/57569/everyth..._campaign=clip
Most people eat two such dinners at the time (except those who are on a strict diet)
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

24,281 posts, read 18,101,168 times
Look for a local meal prep service. It's not frozen, but I've been using the below.

https://www.fpmtricities.com

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

3,434 posts, read 1,438,074 times
I like Stouffer's, too, for frozen. There's an Italian food brand, Michaelangelo's, which is not bad. And I admit to liking Smithfield fried chicken biscuits.

The frozen chicken kiev brand I like is Milford Valley. I've never seen kiev by Barber, but used to love their cordon bleu - except for the price! Milford Valley is a way better bargain if they have it near you.

I agree that frozen pizza is the pits. Even one of those Boboli crusts in the bag is better if you put fresh stuff on top.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,016,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I like Stouffer's, too, for frozen. There's an Italian food brand, Michaelangelo's, which is not bad. And I admit to liking Smithfield fried chicken biscuits.

The frozen chicken kiev brand I like is Milford Valley. I've never seen kiev by Barber, but used to love their cordon bleu - except for the price! Milford Valley is a way better bargain if they have it near you.

I agree that frozen pizza is the pits. Even one of those Boboli crusts in the bag is better if you put fresh stuff on top.
The only frozen pizza I like are the pizza bites but I put lots of cream cheese and hot sauce. The regular cheese inside the bites themselves are weird (they don't seem to melt). I remember the pizza pockets were good in the 90s, but any frozen pizza other than those two have been disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink