Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat?
I prefer the Impossible 8 16.67%
I prefer Beyond Meat 7 14.58%
I don't like either 28 58.33%
They are both just as good 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 PM

1,199 posts, read 660,180 times

Advertisements

Though I have been either vegan, vegetarian, or pescetarian for almost 9 years, I have yet to try either of these burgers. If I find one in a grocery store somewhere I might just try one for novelty sake or to say I did, but I refuse to step foot in a fast food restaurant or give them a dime. I'm on a nine year streak of avoiding fast food restaurants. Happy though that they are offering these plant based foods. I also get an upset stomach eating processed veggie "meats" (such as bocca burgers, Field Roast vegan sausage etc), so it's a rare occasion. Many years ago I tried Beyond Meat chi*kn strips which weren't bad as far as texture, but they did a number on my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 04:37 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I've now tried both beyond meat and an impossible burger. The beyond meat burger I had at a local DC Ethiopian restaurant was actually very tasty. I was surprised at how "meat-like" it was.

I ate an impossible Whopper burger from Burger King today. While also tasty, it wasn't as good as the beyond meat burger; for one, it tasted mass produced (which it was for this fast food establishment), while the beyond burger I had was cooked to order. Also, in an attempt to not sound too vulgar in a food forum, let's just say that the impossible burger messed with my stomach quite a bit

Old 12-09-2019, 07:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
I don't understand the whole not wanting to eat meat but trying to make something that looks and tastes like meat thing. If you don't want to eat meat, why not just eat things other than meat?

Old 12-10-2019, 01:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't understand the whole not wanting to eat meat but trying to make something that looks and tastes like meat thing. If you don't want to eat meat, why not just eat things other than meat?
great point!! how many meat items are made to look like veggies.??

im thinking they are trying to "mainstream"
which is fine.... to each their own …. I think of it like non alcoholic beer ...still looks like beer...

I sell these and sell morning star farm items and boca and gardein and other plant based items.
but its interesting to note …..because this is a topic … not everyone is enamored with this product.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2019...he-difference/
“When you look at Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat, they have 21 or 22 highly processed ingredients. So processed, that you are hard pressed in identifying the difference between those items, versus let’s say, pet food.”

Old 12-10-2019, 02:01 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Who or what is behind this demonization of meat? When I want vegetables, I eat unprocessed vegetables. They have to put all kinds of additives into the Soy and other bean gelatinous mixture and a ton of SODIUM and FAT to get it to kind of sort of emulate beef. Madness. Check the Calories, Fat and Sodium content of these fake burgers. You'll likely be unpleasantly surprised.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Natural meat is healthier than both plant based products. If you are eating it for social political reasons, that's a different story. The amount of processing it takes to make the plant based patties. It's no longer a healthy product. There's nothing unhealthy about good quality red meats cooked properly.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
I have not tried either of those products, and the regular Burger King burgers must have changed a couple years ago, because within minutes after eating one, I have digestive problems. No more BK for me.

Anyway, if you want a fake burger without meat in it, try the Morningstar patties sold in supermarkets. You get to use whatever bread or add-ons you like, and it costs less than buying a cooked fakeburger from a fast food chain. Their mini corndogs are so realistic that I doubt I could tell the diff between one of them and a regular one, not that regular corndogs aren’t already highly manufactured mystery mixtures.

When I want to avoid eating meat, I just eat some other form of protein instead. A PB sandwich, some mixed nuts and grains, eggs are all pretty simple foods, and easily obtained.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
I commend BK for making this product. The factory farming industry is too horrible and upsetting for words, and only someone completely desensitized to the plight of animals would wonder why it's a big deal.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:31 AM

1,264 posts, read 665,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
great point!! how many meat items are made to look like veggies.??

im thinking they are trying to "mainstream"
which is fine.... to each their own …. I think of it like non alcoholic beer ...still looks like beer...

I sell these and sell morning star farm items and boca and gardein and other plant based items.
but its interesting to note …..because this is a topic … not everyone is enamored with this product.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2019...he-difference/
“When you look at Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat, they have 21 or 22 highly processed ingredients. So processed, that you are hard pressed in identifying the difference between those items, versus let’s say, pet food.”
Again, for short memory people.... the investors of Beyond Meat and Impossible Burger are marketing their products to appeal to the "mainstream meat-eaters" not vegans or vegetarians. Because you speak so biased about what other people choose to eat, why in God's name do you sell items you so strongly disagree with?
And, looking at most typical feedlot cattle, (which I'm sure you also sell) it's hard to tell by looking at them that they are chock full of steroids, growth hormones, and anti-biotics. In fact, 80% of all steroids manufactured in the U.S. annually are used in feedlot animals, that end up in systems of the consumers. Not to mention the Roundup that is impregnated in the grain that becomes food for these table-bound creatures. Because of these practices, feedlot meat is extremely processed unbeknownst to the consumer.

https://www.motherjones.com/food/201...ddicted-drugs/

Last edited by Bellacatahoula; 12-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot link

Old 12-10-2019, 12:29 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Who or what is behind this demonization of meat? When I want vegetables, I eat unprocessed vegetables. They have to put all kinds of additives into the Soy and other bean gelatinous mixture and a ton of SODIUM and FAT to get it to kind of sort of emulate beef. Madness. Check the Calories, Fat and Sodium content of these fake burgers. You'll likely be unpleasantly surprised.
People think they're saving the planet.
Animal agriculture is choking the ​Earth and making us sick. We must act now

Quote:
Raising livestock for meat, eggs and milk generates 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions, the second highest source of emissions and greater than all transportation combined. It also uses about 70% of agricultural land, and is one of theleading causes of deforestation, biodiversity loss, and water pollution.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-amis-cameron

I want plant based meat because I don't like hurting cute animals.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink