Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think there is such a things as a "Pressure Cooking/Canner" ?

Pressure cooker canners definitely do exist. They are used by really serious canners.

Before I retired, I owned a hardware store in an agricultural area and sold a lot of them.

Like this: https://smile.amazon.com/30-Pressure...%2C257&sr=8-29

Last edited by karlsch; 09-10-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:57 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Pressure canners do exist. They are used for canning low acid foods, if memory serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Pressure cooker canners definitely do exist. They are used by really serious canners.

Before I retired, I owned a hardware store in an agricultural area and sold a lot of them.

Yes, I'm aware that pressure canners exist. But they aren't the same thing as pressure cookers, and I don't believe they can be used in the same manner for non-canned foods?

Old 09-10-2019, 06:12 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
as posted above:

"Pressure cooker canners definitely do exist. They are used by really serious canners."

and Serious is What We Were way back in the day, because it was economical.
now, not so much. in our opinion, it is probably better to go with the Instant-Pot.
our PC was used intensively for about 2 months. IP could be a year-round thing.
but...if you do go Pressure Cooker Canning, you will be very popular in the Fall.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, I'm aware that pressure canners exist. But they aren't the same thing as pressure cookers, and I don't believe they can be used in the same manner for non-canned foods?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rodtagg9579-20

Here is a pressure canner that can also be used as a regular PC. My understanding is that pressure canners are pressure cookers. Your original question seemed to have you considering buying an Instant Pot which is a pressure cooker.

Please find some good info on what you want to do. If you want jars of canned green beans or corn, pressure canning is the safe method to use. I have made jam, many years ago, and for that I used an enamel pot with the water bath method. Many years ago a family member used the water bath method to can green beans, but that is not considered safe.

The USDA used to publish a good canning guide.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

was going to mention the same thing but decided to let it drop. We too used to have one. We gave it to charily a few years ago as we were just not canning as much as in days gone by.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
Our stovetop pressure cooker developed a bow in the bottom. While we could use it on our gas range, when we moved to an all electric house, it no longer worked as well.

We reluctantly donated it (there are folks around here with gas appliances), and bought an Instant Pot. We've been very happy with everything we've cooked in it, but it's not quite the same. There's no "chuffle" sound when it's pressuring, which was one of my favorite kitchen sounds. The Instant Pot just does its thing quietly, and makes a discrete beep when it's finished.

As the weather cools, we'll be cooking in the Instant Pot a lot more, experimenting with soups, stews, and other keto recipes.

I do miss the "chuffle," though...

Our pressure canner has been used for cooking, when we have a huge gathering. Otherwise, I just use it for canning.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:33 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I like the ninja foodie. Does what the instant pot does AND IT BROWNS too.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rodtagg9579-20

Here is a pressure canner that can also be used as a regular PC. My understanding is that pressure canners are pressure cookers. Your original question seemed to have you considering buying an Instant Pot which is a pressure cooker.

Please find some good info on what you want to do. If you want jars of canned green beans or corn, pressure canning is the safe method to use. I have made jam, many years ago, and for that I used an enamel pot with the water bath method. Many years ago a family member used the water bath method to can green beans, but that is not considered safe.

The USDA used to publish a good canning guide.
No matter how our ancestors did it, you are right:NOT safe. If you want to preserve foods like veggies and do not pickle them you either use a pressure cooker or freeze them.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I like the ninja foodie. Does what the instant pot does AND IT BROWNS too.
I brown things in my IP all the time.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
I brown things in my IP all the time.
When canning food under pressure safety requires having the pressure gauge calibrated. Your local extension office can help. Ours calibrates them without charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink