U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 AM
 
Location: The Mitten
810 posts, read 1,128,367 times
Reputation: 674

Advertisements

OK, so this thing about an Instant Pot has stirred an internal debate. I am up pretty early today, looking up answers to my question: Why should I get a Pressure Cooker (Pressure Canner)? I'm pretty much sold on getting a Pressure Cooker, but I don't see much online about using one, versus this new Instant Pot.

The Instant Pot sells as a 7 or 10 in 1 functional cooking machine for the kitchen. While these different functions sound great, I'm really not interested in most of them. I can argue it here, but I'd rather see others that may have had the same debate.

For me, a Pressure Cooking/Canner has more capability, than a 7 in 1 does. Canning has recently peeked my interest, but has also caused a debate as well. I've had a dream to grow my own food, can it and then use that food whenever. I had about six jars of tomatoes last year but couldn't keep them for long. Then I seen this whole thing about canning the food, lots of it at one time, and it could save on food and food waste.

I just don't know, I'm afraid to pull the trigger on something that's around ~$100 but then don't end up using it in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,219 posts, read 20,860,313 times
Reputation: 26640
The only canning it's safe to do in an electric pressure cooker is water bath canning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,664 posts, read 84,590,585 times
Reputation: 42609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
OK, so this thing about an Instant Pot has stirred an internal debate. I am up pretty early today, looking up answers to my question: Why should I get a Pressure Cooker (Pressure Canner)? I'm pretty much sold on getting a Pressure Cooker, but I don't see much online about using one, versus this new Instant Pot.

The Instant Pot sells as a 7 or 10 in 1 functional cooking machine for the kitchen. While these different functions sound great, I'm really not interested in most of them. I can argue it here, but I'd rather see others that may have had the same debate.

For me, a Pressure Cooking/Canner has more capability, than a 7 in 1 does. Canning has recently peeked my interest, but has also caused a debate as well. I've had a dream to grow my own food, can it and then use that food whenever. I had about six jars of tomatoes last year but couldn't keep them for long. Then I seen this whole thing about canning the food, lots of it at one time, and it could save on food and food waste.

I just don't know, I'm afraid to pull the trigger on something that's around ~$100 but then don't end up using it in the future.
Not to highjack your question, but let me tell you, growing enough of anything to can isn't all the easy. I do a lot of canning and most of what I can comes from local farms or even some grocery stores. I do have enough peppers usually and sometimes enough tomatoes to can a bit. I don't use my electric cooker for either I just use a wet bath by filling my canning pot with hot water. If Canning is you only reason for purchasing an electric pressure cooking or insta pot, I would suggest you just do the hot water method. The only thing you will not be able to do are veggies like green beans. We do anything that has a high acid content and/or use vinegar etc. Just yesterday I did 6 jars of okra. Later in the week I will do bar b cue sauce and canned tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 AM
 
Location: The Mitten
810 posts, read 1,128,367 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not to highjack your question, but let me tell you, growing enough of anything to can isn't all the easy. I do a lot of canning and most of what I can comes from local farms or even some grocery stores. I do have enough peppers usually and sometimes enough tomatoes to can a bit. I don't use my electric cooker for either I just use a wet bath by filling my canning pot with hot water. If Canning is you only reason for purchasing an electric pressure cooking or insta pot, I would suggest you just do the hot water method. The only thing you will not be able to do are veggies like green beans. We do anything that has a high acid content and/or use vinegar etc. Just yesterday I did 6 jars of okra. Later in the week I will do bar b cue sauce and canned tomatoes.
Thanks, nmnita, I appreciate your input. I realize this isn't buying a car or a house, but it is a change in life style. I have had interest in canning and have been searching a lot about canning. Most of my research has lead me to think a Pressure Canner is required.

I have also researched water bath canning, which is canning other certain foods, such as foods that don't require high heat or more acid. I have done water bath canning with my tomatoes.

The instant pots don't really interest me. Even when I think about getting a Pressure Canner, that can double as a pressure cooker AND a water bath canner, I'm still not as interested but does have more capability to me than a 7 in 1 (instant pot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 AM
 
7,033 posts, read 3,856,164 times
Reputation: 18584
In many places the local extension service or community center will often offer canning classes. You many want to sign up for that and sue their equipment rather than buy your own for such a specific use. Also it will give you an idea of just how much work is involved in canning large quantities to be worthwhile.

Growing up we grew most of our own food. Plowing, planting, weeding, and picking that much garden takes a huge amount of time. Picking has to happen when it's ready so those days we were out early before it got hot picking, then dad and I would work on beans/corn/whatever we picked while mom did the canning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
22,622 posts, read 14,851,417 times
Reputation: 32354
A pressure canner is very large. I am not sure if it would be practical to use for much else except canning. If that is your major interest, then research canners, maybe obtain a book about canning, and proceed. You can do some sorts of canning, such as making jams, using a water bath. For that an old fashioned enameled canner, not pressure cooker, will work.

Canning in the height of the growing season is hot, tedious work. But people do it, and if you want to, I say go for it. I suggest you check out a book, or buy one, that explains how to do it.

The Instant Pot is very versatile and is a much improved pressure cooker. You can make yogurt and some simple cheeses, but I don’t think you can can in it. I think you might be able to make freezer jam or chutney in one. In those cases, you would freeze the product in clean containers.

I don’t think I would buy an IP if my main interest was in canning.

If I were to preserve fresh produce these days, I’d do it in the freezer.

What is the IP good for? Well, I made good Italian Bean Soup last night in mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 AM
 
Location: California
4,574 posts, read 5,541,573 times
Reputation: 9829
Here is just about everything you want to know and she also has a blog:

https://missvickie.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,533 posts, read 12,155,726 times
Reputation: 32836
I don't think there is such a things as a "Pressure Cooking/Canner" ?

If your interest is in canning, then get the necessary equipment for that, and don't compare it to a pressure cooker because they are different things.

As for the title of the thread, there isn't really any difference between a pressure cooker and an Instant Pot, an IP is a specific brand of electric pressure cookers. There is a difference between electric and stovetop pressure cookers, with electric ones tending to be safer because they have automatic shut offs, unlike a pot that can be left too long on a burner that is still on.

Many people find IPs and other electric pressure cookers a great and easy way to cook, although I personally think you need to pick and choose the right foods to cook in them, and not everything works well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,664 posts, read 84,590,585 times
Reputation: 42609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
Thanks, nmnita, I appreciate your input. I realize this isn't buying a car or a house, but it is a change in life style. I have had interest in canning and have been searching a lot about canning. Most of my research has lead me to think a Pressure Canner is required.

I have also researched water bath canning, which is canning other certain foods, such as foods that don't require high heat or more acid. I have done water bath canning with my tomatoes.

The instant pots don't really interest me. Even when I think about getting a Pressure Canner, that can double as a pressure cooker AND a water bath canner, I'm still not as interested but does have more capability to me than a 7 in 1 (instant pot).
Here is what we can during the season: salsa (several kinds) tomatoes, bar b cue sauce and tomato sauce; all kinds of pickles from sweet to dill as well as okra, onions, and beets, etc. We can fruit, or course jams and peppers. When we used to use a pressure cooker we did green beans as well but decided it really wasn't it. I will stick with fresh when it comes to veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
22,622 posts, read 14,851,417 times
Reputation: 32354
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think there is such a things as a "Pressure Cooking/Canner" ?

If your interest is in canning, then get the necessary equipment for that, and don't compare it to a pressure cooker because they are different things.

As for the title of the thread, there isn't really any difference between a pressure cooker and an Instant Pot, an IP is a specific brand of electric pressure cookers. There is a difference between electric and stovetop pressure cookers, with electric ones tending to be safer because they have automatic shut offs, unlike a pot that can be left too long on a burner that is still on.

Many people find IPs and other electric pressure cookers a great and easy way to cook, although I personally think you need to pick and choose the right foods to cook in them, and not everything works well.
Pressure canners do exist. They are used for canning low acid foods, if memory serves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top